ThruNite TN12(2014),1050Lm,1x18650 compact light,Review+Outdoor Beamshots

Gloh

Newly Enlightened
Yes it is worth.
I use also pink protected Sanyo 18650 batteries.They are one of the best cells and a little bit cheaper.
The 18650 powered flashlights will give you much more lumen output,of course important is how you would like to use the light and what brightness you prefer.

Thanks. I can get them for around $20 for two off eBay. Does that sound about right? However they aren't protected?
Is it the same case with yours?

FlashLion

Enlightened
Thanks. I can get them for around $20 for two off eBay. Does that sound about right? However they aren't protected?
Is it the same case with yours?
All of my batteries are protected.If you are new to Li-Ion batteries it is recommended to get protected batteries.
I bought some from ebay some from other website,but from the same seller.I bought them a time ago,they were much cheaper.

D6859

Enlightened
To use this flashlight I bought two Keeppower 3400's and Xtar SP1 charger. I think it's worth it as I can use the charger (with one 18650) to charge my cell phone. I also like that I can use the flashlight at 280 lm level for many hours hours instead of recharging or changing my AA batteries after every 2 hours of use. I came home from work earlier this night and the street light were turned off. I found TN12 really good for my main purpose as a bike light (at 280 lm level), and I'll keep EDCing it from now on. All I wish is better knurling. Using the light wearing mittens or woollen gloves (yes, it's still winter here and during the summer I don't actually need flashlights;) feels too slippery. And I wish the pocket clip was reversable. Anyway, this is myt first light using 18650 battery and it will replace my Olight S15 as EDC. Btw, the light seems to heat up quite much even at 280 lm level. I was riding home one night and it was snowing (about -1 to -3 to Celsius). The snow that got stuck to the lens melted and I got weird looking vibration in the lighted area. Never happened with the S15 (but I'm not sure if i've used it at 300lm level in a blizzard).

Gloh

Newly Enlightened
the light seems to heat up quite much even at 280 lm level. I was riding home one night and it was snowing (about -1 to -3 to Celsius). The snow that got stuck to the lens melted and I got weird looking vibration in the lighted area. Never happened with the S15 (but I'm not sure if i've used it at 300lm level in a blizzard).

Hey D6859.
When you say it heats up, is it a substantial amount where it feels like you shouldn't keep it on that setting or is it just an expected temperature at that level?

soul347

Newly Enlightened
Great review Flashlion!

I like the TN12 for its range of options but the I am most put off by its batteries. It'll be my first torch and I don't have any 18650s.

Do you think it's appropriate to purchase and use CR123s instead as they are cheaper and any downsides to them in comparison?

And is the TN12 pocketable you reckon?

I'm also new, but I realize the absolute need to get the 18650's. If you plan to enter the flashlight world, you're definitely going to want to get them. Most decent flashlights out there do not use standard AA, AAA, etc. They seem pricey, but considering how many times you can recharge them you'll definitely get your money back.

Blue Steel

Newly Enlightened
Most decent flashlights out there do not use standard AA, AAA, etc.
That depends on what you mean by "decent." Many people have AA, or AAA lights that use rechargeable NiMH batteries and are able to do most tasks without having a problem.

BronzeLincolns

Newly Enlightened
bright light, the price is right, and i like the various modes.

after using the UC40UE i just bought i now really don't like the back switch setup. it also seems the 1050 lumen and 800 are practically the same brightness. maybe thats why both modes are listed for an hour and a half of runtime.

The Burgh

Newly Enlightened
If you all don't mind, I'm going to reverse this thread a bit and ask a question several of us were posing:

Has anyone been successful in finding, buying and confirming a NEUTRAL TINT TN12? If so, what vendor?

D6859

Enlightened
Gloh: Excuse my English, I think I chose my words wrong. The point was that even when riding a bike in below 0 Celsius (you can consider it a good ventilation) the light puts out so much fotons and the body conducts so much heat it can melt snow that has hit the lens. Actually the body doesn't feel hot. I think it's just over 0 C so that the melting can happen and most of it is caused by the fotons that are put out. I just noticed a drop of water in the lens for the first time. My Olight T25 wasn't powerful enough to melt the snow and I think I haven't used my S15 in such a snowy conditions.I think you can use the light at 280 lm level without worrying (e. g. pass out while using it as nightlight and wake up next morning to cheer that you house didn't burn after all :) ). Sorry it took so long to answer.

Gloh

Newly Enlightened
Hahaha I laughed at the last bit. That's very comforting to know that it won't burn my house down (not including batteries). I ordered one the other day so now I'm just waiting for it in the mail! Thanks for the reply and reassurance. I'm sure it'll be a top light that'll last me a while!

Javora

Enlightened
If you all don't mind, I'm going to reverse this thread a bit and ask a question several of us were posing:

Has anyone been successful in finding, buying and confirming a NEUTRAL TINT TN12? If so, what vendor?

I haven't been able to find TN12 at all regardless of tint (same for the Archer 1C BTW) and I'm starting to wonder if ThruNite is having production issues.

Gloh

Newly Enlightened
I just got one off eBay for ~$50 AUD. Haven't tested it yet as batteries haven't come in :(
But when it does I will try write a review on it. Pretty stoked about it. Fits perfectly in my pockets. I love it already and yet I haven't even turned it on.

D6859

Enlightened
Gloh: Addition to my previous answer. I accidentelly left the light on at 800 lm level in room temperature for ~10 minutes. It got so hot I coldn't couldn't hold it wrapping my fingers around the part that has mode button. I then gave it a cooling shower and the light seems to work ok. 800 lm is a lot, but I didn't know a LED can get SO hot!

Gloh

Newly Enlightened
Gloh: Addition to my previous answer. I accidentelly left the light on at 800 lm level in room temperature for ~10 minutes. It got so hot I coldn't couldn't hold it wrapping my fingers around the part that has mode button. I then gave it a cooling shower and the light seems to work ok. 800 lm is a lot, but I didn't know a LED can get SO hot!

I imagine that leaving any torch on at 800lumens would make it quite hot.

Is this kind of hear expected/normal for lights of different brands similar to this model? I don't feel like it is a design flaw rather than just the nature of the led.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review Flashlion!

While the highest mode of 1050lm is direct drive I would like to see how the 800lm mode graph looks like. Is that regulated or more stable?

Last edited:

FlashLion

Enlightened
Does this have some kind of low voltage indicator
There is a low voltage warning.When the battery is depleted,the light will flash two times every ~10 seconds. You can see some of this flashes on the runtime graph and when they start.

Thanks for the review Flashlion!

While the highest mode of 1050lm is direct drive I would like to see how the 800lm mode graph looks like. Is that regulated or more stable?
Thanks for reading my review! I will take a graph when possible and will compare the modes.

Last edited: