ThruNite TN12(2014),1050Lm,1x18650 compact light,Review+Outdoor Beamshots

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
How does the beam on this compare to the ThruNite TN11S. I know the TN11S has a wider diameter lens front but slightly lower lumens and the TN12 has slightly higher Lumens but smaller diameter front. So out of the two how does the beam throw compare.

touge

Newly Enlightened
Just received my TN12 '14 and I am very impressed. Very nice beam with nice taper. Wider and more floody than I thought it would. Throw is very good also for the size of this light and I liked the fit and finish.

Blue Steel

Newly Enlightened
Is this light no longer being sold? I cannot find it anywhere (atleast for anything less than $70-90). It has even disappeared off of the Thrunite website.

FlashLion

Enlightened
How does the beam on this compare to the ThruNite TN11S. I know the TN11S has a wider diameter lens front but slightly lower lumens and the TN12 has slightly higher Lumens but smaller diameter front. So out of the two how does the beam throw compare.
I don't have the TN11S and can't comment the beam difference. Hope someone who owns both flashlights will do it.

Is this light no longer being sold? I cannot find it anywhere (atleast for anything less than $70-90). It has even disappeared off of the Thrunite website.
ThruNite say that the TN12 will be available again soon.
This higher prices seem to me like a mistake.:shrug:

Last edited:

Blue Steel

Newly Enlightened
ThruNite say that the TN12 will be available again soon.
This higher prices look to me like mistake.:shrug:
Thank you. I recently got an email from them confirming the same. The price around the net is quite astonishing, frankly. I think the price jack on other sites is because Thrunite doesn't have them in stock at the moment, so the supply and demand is now higher.

FlashLion

Enlightened
Thanks for the review Flashlion!

While the highest mode of 1050lm is direct drive I would like to see how the 800lm mode graph looks like. Is that regulated or more stable?
Here is the High mode graph. :thumbsup:
A small(8cm) cooling fan was used.
Battery Keeppower 3400 (but not the same used in the first test)
Ustart=4.2V
Uend=2.75V

Gloh

Newly Enlightened
I just tested my TN12 (2014) out and it is incredible. I never expected it to be this bright. It lights up my entire backyard (which is quite long) and has me hooked on torches.

I noticed that the very first thread (the one that is unanodized on the top) of the clicky-end is getting its anodized parts scratched slightly. Is this normal or should I lubricate the threads more than they already are (from the factory)?

FlashLion

Enlightened
I just tested my TN12 (2014) out and it is incredible. I never expected it to be this bright. It lights up my entire backyard (which is quite long) and has me hooked on torches.

I noticed that the very first thread (the one that is unanodized on the top) of the clicky-end is getting its anodized parts scratched slightly. Is this normal or should I lubricate the threads more than they already are (from the factory)?
Glad you like the flashlight.:thumbsup:
If screwing the tailcap is not smooth,you can lubricate the threads,but usually lubricating anodized threads is not needed.They should resist some friction.

D6859

Enlightened
Here is the High mode graph. :thumbsup:
A small(8cm) cooling fan was used.
Battery Keeppower 3400 (but not the same used in the first test)
Ustart=4.2V
Uend=2.75V

Thank you for the graphs! :) Regulated ~800 lm output for over 35 minutes is pretty impressive!

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting,it seems to produce noticeably more lumen-hours in turbo than in high.

domingez

Newly Enlightened
Hi, anyone knows when the tn12 will be available again on the aliexpress?

jimsmith1370

Newly Enlightened
Wow, what a review! I'm ordering one of these based solely on this review. Great pictures, too! Keep up the great work.

ven

Flashaholic
Missed this,awesome review as always flashlion:thumbsup:,astonishing pics............it just can not look that good in real life,i could grab it out of the monitor :laughing:

This looks a fantastic light,excellent value too(soon as prices come down again as noticed myself they have jumped up a but)
I noticed the side button looks very much like the newer ea4 button...........wonder if the same(dont mean ballooning issue of old ea4) but same material,same manufacturer.

Regards ven:)

FlashLion

Enlightened
Wow, what a review! I'm ordering one of these based solely on this review. Great pictures, too! Keep up the great work.
Thank you. I am glad that my review is helpful.
Enjoy your new flashlight and :welcome:

Missed this,awesome review as always flashlion:thumbsup:,astonishing pics............it just can not look that good in real life,i could grab it out of the monitor :laughing:

This looks a fantastic light,excellent value too(soon as prices come down again as noticed myself they have jumped up a but)
I noticed the side button looks very much like the newer ea4 button...........wonder if the same(dont mean ballooning issue of old ea4) but same material,same manufacturer.

Regards ven:)
Thanks ven :) Glad you like my work.
I don't have the EA4 to compare.After the runtime test without external cooling,the TN12 was hot and there was no any difference in the shape of the button.I doubt it will suffer from ballooning.

Cinder

Newly Enlightened
Just got my TN12 (2014) and just in time for a power outage that lasted until 4am. Inside my room there was hardly any difference between the Tk22's 650 lumens and the TN12's 1050 lumens, but I guess that's because I was blinded by their brightness.

Took it outdoors at night and compared the TN12 to the TK22 and there's only a small difference between my TK22's 650 lumens and TN12's 1050 lumens. In fact, my TK22 seemed a tiny bit brighter when testing it by shining both lights at objects more than 150 feet away, but I'm sure that's because of the deeper and larger reflector of the TK22. I don't doubt there are more lumens coming out of the TN12, but to the human eye, the larger / deeper reflector makes the TK22 appear slightly brighter when shining it at a distance - pretty sure that's because there's more focused light coming from the TK22.

Having 300+ more lumens than the TK22, I was hoping the TN12 was at least 20% brighter, but it feels more like 5%. I can't complain though, considering the difference in size between the TK22 and TN12's reflectors. I'd imagine I'd see that 20% brightness difference (or even more) if both lights had the same reflectors.

All that being said, I do not regret getting this light. The TN12 is smaller than the TK22, meaning not only is it smaller and easier to EDC, it's slightly brighter! All that power in such a small light! While I was hoping for the 300+ lumen difference to be more noticeable, I still can't complain because despite the TK22's larger and deeper reflector, these lights' brightness and throw are nearly identical when used outdoors.

See the size difference for yourself:

hzJ0BFk.jpg

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Just got my TN12 (2014) and just in time for a power outage that lasted until 4am. Inside my room there was hardly any difference between the Tk22's 650 lumens and the TN12's 1050 lumens, but I guess that's because I was blinded by their brightness.

Took it outdoors at night and compared the TN12 to the TK22 and there's only a small difference between my TK22's 650 lumens and TN12's 1050 lumens. In fact, my TK22 seemed a tiny bit brighter when testing it by shining both lights at objects more than 150 feet away, but I'm sure that's because of the deeper and larger reflector of the TK22. I don't doubt there are more lumens coming out of the TN12, but to the human eye, the larger / deeper reflector makes the TK22 appear slightly brighter when shining it at a distance - pretty sure that's because there's more focused light coming from the TK22.

Having 300+ more lumens than the TK22, I was hoping the TN12 was at least 20% brighter, but it feels more like 5%. I can't complain though, considering the difference in size between the TK22 and TN12's reflectors. I'd imagine I'd see that 20% brightness difference (or even more) if both lights had the same reflectors.

All that being said, I do not regret getting this light. The TN12 is smaller than the TK22, meaning not only is it smaller and easier to EDC, it's slightly brighter! All that power in such a small light! While I was hoping for the 300+ lumen difference to be more noticeable, I still can't complain because despite the TK22's larger and deeper reflector, these lights' brightness and throw are nearly identical when used outdoors.

See the size difference for yourself:
what cell/cells areyou using? when using 2 kinoko imr 16340, I get a turbo with a ceiling bounce greater than that of a tk41 800 lm

Cinder

Newly Enlightened
what cell/cells areyou using? when using 2 kinoko imr 16340, I get a turbo with a ceiling bounce greater than that of a tk41 800 lm

I use 2 titanium innovation cr123 cells. Indoors the TN12 is brighter than the TK22, I think it's just outdoors when trying to focus on something far away the TK22 seems brighter, and I know that's because of more focused light coming from the TK22 reflector.

LILLARD

Newly Enlightened
Do you happen to know what the voltage of 2-CR123A's is when the low voltage flash alert is activated, like how much percent remaining or how many volts? I know that 2.7 is the lowest working voltage, and depending on how fresh the batteries are when first using anywhere between 6 and 6.4 or so.

Thanks for your help.