Thrunite TN12 2014 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME, VIDEO+

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez: Because I screwed up. :shakehead

It looks like the 2200mAh 18650 graphs are mistakenly showing the original TN12 Med mode runtime, not the TN12-2014. I'm SOOOO sorry about this - can't believe it I didn't notice it earlier. The actual TN12-2014 output is about twice as high (with half the runtime) on Med. :sigh:

I will re-generate the graphs and post them here later today.

I read many of your reviews (and use them as the default go-to reference guide, when questions come up). I've tried my hand at a couple amateur reviews, and found even the basics to be a lot more work than I expected. With that in mind, I think we can forgive a minor error here or there. Your work is the gold standard, and I really appreciate the accuracy and thoroughness of your write-ups! :rock::rock:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Ok, here are the corrected graphs:

TN12-PD35-P12-MedHi_1.gif

TN12-Med18650_1.gif

As you can see, performance is still comparable to the ZL SC600-II, only at a different output level.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is waterproof testing of a different sort, @ 44:42

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
I've been back and forth with Thrunite over my TN12 going into strobe with no particular pattern noted. It can go fine for a while then not.

I did the swapping batteries, cleaning and reassembling the tail switch but to no avail. It seems to be an issue that involves the side switch or other electronics.

The problem is I live in Australia and I have to not only ship it to China (along with an address label part of which is Chinese), which I pay for, but also they expect me to pay the return postage.

Is this normal, expected?

It is going in the bin. Unfortunately, my Lenser P5R.2 is more than capable of doing what I want and the value of a 5 year iron clad Australian warranty is now much more appealing!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is I live in Australia and I have to not only ship it to China (along with an address label part of which is Chinese), which I pay for, but also they expect me to pay the return postage.

Is this normal, expected?

Paying for shipping to them is fairly normal, but both ways is definitely not.

I'd post in the thread below about your issue...I'd be surprised if they don't take care of you.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?398071-your-experiences-for-ThruNite

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
It's OK.

The email from them made me think I paid the mail costs both ways but it is just the return to them I pay. I think that is fair enough. I'll mail it off to them. It will take quite a while to get it back but I can wait.

They clarified it when I complained.

fatfingers

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review. This makes me feel good about having bought one as my first 18650 torch.

Ratmick

Newly Enlightened
After a bit of research and a lot of reading on this Forum bought myself of these.

I have a couple of LED Lensers, a P7 and a P7.2, but they're in use by my kids (we live on a rural property).

This one is roughly the same price but in a league of its own.

Loaded it up with a BLAZAR NCRB3400 18650, plus bought a Soshine S2 Fast charger...so I'm thinking I'm all ready to rock.

Anyway thanks for the review!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have a couple of LED Lensers, a P7 and a P7.2, but they're in use by my kids (we live on a rural property).
This one is roughly the same price but in a league of its own.
Yes, the TN12 is a very nice light for the price. The LED Lensers get a bad rap here, but they aren't bad lights in my experience. Main issue is that they are typically a little (to a lot) over-priced for what you are getting, depending on the model.

Incidentally, I just posted a review of the new Archer series from the Thrunite. The 2C is very similar to the TN12 in interface, though lacking the extreme "Turbo" mode (although that doesn't matter much, since the 2C Hi mode is pretty close). The 2C sample I reviewed was still a prototype for that one, but I imagine this will make choosing between the TN12 and Archer 2C interesting for people.

And :welcome:

NoelC

Newly Enlightened
Impressions from a long-time LED flashlight user... My experience goes back to a Fenix P 10 AA model with a MillerMods replacement head, which still works.

10 months ago I bought a ThruNite TN12 (2014 edition) for every day carry. I got the neutral-white model, which gave quite a warm colored light. I liked how well the warmer color allows me to see - it just feels natural.

It's the brightest flashlight I've ever had. For me the 1050 lumen setting is brighter than needed for most uses (almost hard to imagine something could be TOO bright, but this is daily experience talking). I have thus chosen to leave it on the 280 lumen setting. It's nice because the mode is sticky - i.e., it stays set across power cycles. 18650 battery life is quite good - weeks of on-demand use on 280 lumens and with brief runs at a higher power (great for spotting spider webs on night walks).

I've found that if the battery isn't reasonably fresh the brightness difference between the 800 lumen and 1050 lumen mode goes away (i.e., it doesn't get any brighter on switching from high to turbo). Seems reasonable, and frankly 800 lumens is still virtually always enough. It compares favorably to a car headlight.

My TN12 served me well, never faltering, until early Easter morning, when I fumbled it and dropped it on concrete from pocket level. Something in the head began to rattle and the light stopped working.

I contacted ThruNite and they eMailed me back with a note that said "send it in for replacement, a drop from pocket level shouldn't break it". About $4 postage. I've already gotten another one. Sure feels good to have a great EDC pocket light again. I really didn't expect it to be replaced. Seems like a good company that stands behind their products.

I noticed my newest one has a slightly less warm color than the older one did. This one compares reasonably closely to early afternoon sunlight, with the TN12 being ever so slightly more yellow than the sunlight.

I've gone ahead and bought several more to be gifts.

-Noel

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
Yes, the TN12 is a very nice light for the price. The LED Lensers get a bad rap here, but they aren't bad lights in my experience. Main issue is that they are typically a little (to a lot) over-priced for what you are getting, depending on the model

And :welcome:

I am waiting for the repair on my TN-12. I think ThruNite make great products.

I also have the Lenser Headlamp the H14R.2 and their AA light the P5R.2. They are expensive but they are great lights, well built and the focussing head is very practical in use. They also have a pretty well no questions five year warranty here in Australia. If you pay more, it is probably worth it. I think upon this especially as I had to ship my TN-12 back to China and will wait probably six weeks or so before I get it back.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

I contacted ThruNite and they eMailed me back with a note that said "send it in for replacement, a drop from pocket level shouldn't break it". About $4 postage. I've already gotten another one. ...

Based on the way I interpret their current guarantee, Thrunite should have paid for your postage.

Danny soo

Newly Enlightened
He noted that some long 18650's are tight. Can someone recommend "shorter" 18650's? Also this light has momentary, right? I didn't see that mentioned, but probably just missed it.

No hiden mode or sos on Tn12 2014?

timsatx

Newly Enlightened
Normally my use of flashlights are fairly limited. I may use them everyday but for only very short periods of time. I usually change out my battery once a week and it takes no time to charge.

This last weekend was different. I was installing a ceiling fan with a light and changing out the single bad dimmer switch with a new dimmer switch and a ceiling fan control/dimmer switch combo. It ended up that I had to turn off all the power to the front room and even in the daylight it is fairly dark. I was trying to figure out how to get more light when it hit me that I had my TN12. I put it on the 3rd setting for 280lm and set it on top of the wall heater by the switch pointing it up to the ceiling for some bounce. Man, it worked great. It gave me pretty much all the light I needed. I also took it with me up to the attic along with my Mini 123. I would set the Mini 123 horizontally (it has more flood) to give me some overall general light and use the TN12 for work specific light.

Our attic has a pretty low roof so that is why I needed that. I had to crawl over to the where the wiring for the switch came in and work with it. It ended up that I had to do some fancy wiring and it took me to the next day because the attic was just too dang hot by the afternoon. In all I would say that the light had to have been on at least 5 hours on setting 3 and then add in the climbing around in the attic with it at a lower setting. I was afraid it was going to die before I could finish but it just kept on going. I swapped out the batteries this morning (my charger is at work) and so far it has been charging for the last 2.5 hours. I suspect I was close to losing power but it still stayed bright. I did notice that I was unable to go to turbo mode last night and was afraid at first that maybe the light had lost that mode, but when I replaced the battery with a fully charged one it worked just fine, so all is well with the world.

So far I am extremely happy with my TN12 purchase. I think Thrunite has some of the best valued flashlights out there and plan on buying a smaller AA flashlight, along with a knife, for my son-in-law for Christmas.

I just wanted to add that I am using Panasonic NCR18650B @ 3400mAh batteries.

Last edited:

ololo

Newly Enlightened
hello,
standby battery drain - in this flashlight is present?(Thrunite TN12 2014)