Thrunite TN30 Review (3xXM-L, 3x18650): RUNTIMES, VIDEO, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS and more!

gaston1

Newly Enlightened
Awesome review! Very full ...thanks for sharing.

Greetings from Argentina

texas cop

Enlightened
Just got mine today. Its bright and a little smaller than I pictured. On level 6 I did get constant faint flickering, mode changing or temp didn't play a factor when turned back to level 6. I tightened the carrier screws, 2 were loose and cleaned the threads. No more flickering, strange I didn't really think that would help but it seems to have. Control ring has very little play and rotates smoothly, finish is even. I'm very happy great review Selfbuilt.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I tightened the carrier screws, 2 were loose and cleaned the threads. No more flickering, strange I didn't really think that would help but it seems to have.
Hmm, more likely to have been the thread cleaning that helped. Lubes typically migrates from the o-rings over the threads and contact surfaces (naturally enough, since that is what lubricants do). Even the supposedly non-conductive greases/lubes tend to cause problems when they get on contact surfaces. I've frequently been surprised how many problems can be resolved by thoroughly cleaning.

Kango

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered TN30 from thrunite store on ebay and it's on the way from China. I noticed that pictures of TN30 on this forum review and pictures of TN30 on thrunite website look slightly different.

TN30-16 by LouKango, on Flickr
Reviewed TN30 has only 2 holes for landyard but the picture I attached has 6. Was there an update to design of TN30? Also I read on youtube that someone with this "6 hole" design has no ramp up when lighting at L6.

Last edited:

sbbsga

Enlightened
Reviewed TN30 has only 2 holes for landyard but the picture I attached has 6. Was there an update to design of TN30? Also I read on youtube that someone with this "6 hole" design has no ramp up when lighting at L6.

Both my cool and neutral white TN30 have the new tail design but only the cool white ramps up. Meanwhile, my TN31 has the older design and it was purchased together with the cool white TN30 more than half a year ago.

Kango

Newly Enlightened
Both my cool and neutral white TN30 have the new tail design but only the cool white ramps up. Meanwhile, my TN31 has the older design and it was purchased together with the cool white TN30 more than half a year ago.
Thank you. Before I saw those pictures on batteryjunction with 6 holes... I thought I was getting a fake TN30 or something. Now I feel much better. BTW... did thrunite lower their lumen rating on TN30 recently or something? In the beginning of it's production, they said TN30 is rated at 3000lumens and now I'm seeing lot of places saying it's rated at 2780lumens like batteryjunction.

Bwolcott

Enlightened
Thank you. Before I saw those pictures on batteryjunction with 6 holes... I thought I was getting a fake TN30 or something. Now I feel much better. BTW... did thrunite lower their lumen rating on TN30 recently or something? In the beginning of it's production, they said TN30 is rated at 3000lumens and now I'm seeing lot of places saying it's rated at 2780lumens like batteryjunction.

2780 is for the neutral version

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh ok thanks for the reply. Somebody in here just told me about the Lux RC Fatboy so i'm on a mission to investigate it. It looks like it smokes the TM26 but my biggest question is why is there almost nothing said about it in here if you guys praise the TM26 so much as the flood king? There must be a catch, a reason it's not talked about in here

sbninja

Newly Enlightened
Outstanding review! Thank you! I ordered one last night. Cant wait, this looks to be a real awesome light for the price!

XJCreations

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading flashlight reviews all night and I think I've narrowed it down to the Fenix TK75 and the TN30. I'm going to be spending 6 plus hours underground in a tunnel and the Petzl TIKKA XP 2 headlamp and El Cheapo Generic LED flashlight I usually use for adventures aren't giving me that warm fuzzy feeling after spending a hour with them in there last week. They'll do for general lighting but I need something with a lot more power from time to time capable of throwing a long distance as well as a wide enough beam for general use. Size and weight are an issue so the TN30 seems to have the Fenix beat in that area while it loses out to the 4 cell Fenix in battery life. Before I pull the trigger on a purchase I'd appreciate any feedback. Picture yourself walking for six hours in a flooded tunnel, which would you prefer? I considered the smaller TK35 too. Thanks for any thoughts you guys might have for a flashlight noob.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Picture yourself walking for six hours in a flooded tunnel, which would you prefer? I considered the smaller TK35 too. Thanks for any thoughts you guys might have for a flashlight noob.
Hmmm, I'd recommend you head over to the flashlight recommendation subforum here, and see what folks there generally think. I've not been in your situation, but I'm thinking either light may be rather heavy for an extended hike. Personally, I probably wouldn't go for anything bigger than a 2x18650 option. Something with decent throw and a good range of outputs for the class would be good (i.e., you are unlikely to be using Turbo all the time, so a decent Hi/Med would be important). I think you will be surprised to find how bright and throwy a decent 2x18650 light can be (relative to most generic cheapo lights).

And :welcome:

XJCreations

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, I'd recommend you head over to the flashlight recommendation subforum here, and see what folks there generally think. I've not been in your situation, but I'm thinking either light may be rather heavy for an extended hike. Personally, I probably wouldn't go for anything bigger than a 2x18650 option. Something with decent throw and a good range of outputs for the class would be good (i.e., you are unlikely to be using Turbo all the time, so a decent Hi/Med would be important). I think you will be surprised to find how bright and throwy a decent 2x18650 light can be (relative to most generic cheapo lights).

And :welcome:

Thanks, I'll copy and paste this there.

david57strat

Enlightened
This review (and others) caused me to jump at the first opportunity I had to pick up one up one of these at an extremely reasonable price. I just bough it on CPF Marketplace, and couldn't be more pleased with it! What an amazing light. Now, I just need to get my hands on a TN31 lol.

Thanks for the great review!

gkbain

Newly Enlightened
I have had the TN30 for a few days and am very happy with it. Not a small or light flashlight. The lanyard can come with it seems not very well thought out or i am using it wrong. Using it around the wrist is difficult even with the sliders because it is so long. If you use it around you neck for any time it digs into your neck. I have DSLR cameras that are a lot lighter than this light and they come with a much wider neck strap. Like I said I may be using the included lanyard all wrong but the light is so heavy that some type of secure strap should be used. Anyone have any ideas?

albs18

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Thrunite TN30 in the mail. It's the XML-2 neutral white version : )

When I first tried putting in my Xtar 2600 protected batteries, I was like WTF, its so difficult to slide the battery carrier into the flashlight. And taking it out was even more difficult. This might sound stupid, but if I align the carrier so that each battery is lined up with those two lines carved into the handles, it goes in a lot more smoothly. It almost just plops in by itself, rather than me shoving them in with at least 50 pounds of pressure, and then using extreme measures to get them out lol..

Well I went into my "testing room" which is a small windowless storage room, lol. I did a quick comparison against my SkyRayKing 3x XML T6 NW. Well, let's say it was well too bright in there, but it seemed like the TN30 was considerably brighter when I did a ceiling bounce test. As for moonlight mode, it probably was at least 3 times brighter on that mode when compared to my SRT-7, which is expected because the SRT-7 has only one emitter. I don't know if the TN30 has true moonlight mode, but its rather close.

I went into my room (during the daytime), and I shined the lights on the wall on max brightness, and dang, the TN30 does seem considerably brighter. If I go out on walks at night, or go camping again, I doubt I'll stay on the max brightness, cause it's so insanely bright.

I was a bit surprised how wide the handle was, considering it held three 18650s. My SkyRayKing holds four 18650s and they seem similar in handle width. But then again, the SRK doesn't have a battery carrier. I'm not a fan of battery carriers in flashlights. I'm not quite sure what the point of incorporating them into flashlight is, apart from making the design and manufacturing more easier perhaps.

I was also looking at the X40, but it didn't come in NW. The fact that it had that "infinite brightness mode" makes it extremely tempting for me to get. Plus other neat stuff like battery power level indicator and built-in charger. But on the other hand the TN30 is available in NW and is considerably cheaper (at least the CW version) now if you buy directly from Thrunite website.

Thanks for the reviews Selfbuilt. I have referred to them many times. I showed my GF your website, and I was telling her that you were like the Flashlight God :)

Yeah I'm pretty happy with my TN30, probably gonna be my new fav 3x XML-2 flashlight.

About the lanyard (I know its a super old post..), mine is 8.5" in length. When I strap it on, it seems to be just perfect. I put my hand through the loop on the far side, and zip it down, and it's just perfect.

My light came in a plain cardboard box though, no fancy metal case :(

I hope flashlight manufacturers keep making more x3 XML2 flashlights with moonlight mode and lots of brightness levels and perhaps infinite brightness mode (I hope Nitecore doesn't have a patent on that..)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
When I first tried putting in my Xtar 2600 protected batteries, I was like WTF, its so difficult to slide the battery carrier into the flashlight. And taking it out was even more difficult. This might sound stupid, but if I align the carrier so that each battery is lined up with those two lines carved into the handles, it goes in a lot more smoothly. It almost just plops in by itself, rather than me shoving them in with at least 50 pounds of pressure, and then using extreme measures to get them out lol. .... I'm not a fan of battery carriers in flashlights. I'm not quite sure what the point of incorporating them into flashlight is, apart from making the design and manufacturing more easier perhaps.
Yes, 3x18650 carriers can sometimes be a bit tight for some brands of protected cells. As always, never a good idea to force Li-ions anywhere - as you have found, often times a slight variation in insertion will help (e.g. labels to the inside of the carrier, etc).

As for why carriers are used, I suspect it has more to do with the circuit advantages of running batteries in series instead of parallel (which is tricky to do without carriers). But I'd have to let the circuit design experts weigh in on that one.

My light came in a plain cardboard box though, no fancy metal case :(
A number of makers give you the choice - the cardboard box is typically cheaper, due to the lower weight for shipping.

This review is getting a little old, so it's good to hear a recent experience with the light. Thanks for sharing, and :welcome: