Thrunite TN32 (XM-L2, 3x18650) "Thrower" Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Thrunite TN32 (XM-L2, 3x18650) "Thrower" Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

i measured it from two meters. i measured in ft-cd, i convert it in candela after and that was the results.
Two meters is not enough. ANSI FL-1 standard requires 10 meters for a light this size, which is what I do all of my testing in. This likely explains most of the discrepancy with your result.

Light meters can also be highly variable (i.e., I've seen up ~40% difference between inexpensive meters). All of my measures are done on a NIST-certified, calibrated lux light meter.

Finally, there will also be some variation between samples. Also what kind of batteries used, how charged they, how long after activation (ANSI FL-1 requires 30 secs, which mine are done at), etc.

magnum70383

Enlightened
Re: Thrunite TN32 (XM-L2, 3x18650) "Thrower" Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

I want to get this light. Anybody know of a good deal? Please let me know! :)

odessadream

Newly Enlightened

Buy the Supbeam K50 V2 (from Acebeam). It comes from the same factory as the TN32. The K50 V2 has the same (or even better) thrower properties as the TN32 and it has an internal charger with magnetic connection at the tailcap.

odessadream

Newly Enlightened

To me the TK61 seems the best thrower in your comparison. Why don't you mention this !!!????

Weather conditions have finally improved enough to start taking outdoor beamshots around here. To start, here is a comparison of the TN35 to the TN32 (XM-L2) and Eagletac SX25L3.

As always, these are done in the style of my earlier 100-yard round-up review. Please see that thread for a discussion of the topography (i.e. the road dips in the distance, to better show you the corona in the mid-ground).

CatV5-TK61-TN32.gif

TN32-35-SX25L3.gif

CatV5-TK61-TN32z.gif

TN32-25-SX25L3z.gif

Please note that the color balance of the MT-G2 shots are a little off, as I had automatic white balancing on (i.e., they are not consistent to the adjustment used for the cool white emitters).

The TN32 has an impressive amount of overall output and throw, for a single XM-L2-equipped light. :eek:oo: You can see the greater output compared to the stock Fenix TK61 (as well as compared to the Thrunite Catapult V5, although it is closer). Definitely a top stock XM-L2 light. :thumbsup:

In terms of the TN35 comparison, the MT-G2 emitter does indeed provide much more of a "wall of light" effect, thanks to the larger emitter. But the deep reflector of the TN32/TN35 build still allows the TN35 to reach out to a good distance (i.e., as compared to the SX25L3, which is obviously struggling at that same distance).

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened

The rechargeable lights are often quite expensive and most people on the forum seem to prefer to bring their own batteries and charger.

The TK61 is a four battery light and so is bigger and heavier than the TN32.

I'm a bit of a fan of the TN32. It is just a lovely build quality. I wonder how they do it for the price. Everything is extra heavy duty. It isn't exactly light though. Even the front lens is a very thick piece of glass. It also has a very nice control ring which is dead easy to use. I think any light that can give decent illumination at close to 500m is good enough for most uses. I think the estimation of useful illumination being half of the rated distance is about right.

MDMcAtee

Newly Enlightened

I'm still rather new here, but in researching different lights I've come to the conclusion that this one will be the one I ask Santa (😉) to get me...

I really appreciate everyone's input on it and Selfbuilts reviews, because it makes it easy to choose it from all of the great throwers available.

This one will be my first long range thrower and I am looking forward to unwrapping it Christmas morning.. along with the NC EAS41 (2015)..

Yes, lol, I think I am becoming a flashlight junkie

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened

Been doing a little more testing with my TN32 as i always felt it was under performing compared to others that have been tested.
Using my DX lux meter have gotten a few results at different distances

[email protected] = 120k [email protected]
[email protected] = 85k [email protected]
[email protected] = 128k [email protected]
[email protected] = 125k [email protected]

So a max of 128k for my light which fits pretty well with what i am seeing compared to my 24/28/35w ebay HID with 4300k bulb which in testing is around 96klux and i think more lumens than the TN32 as i often take both for a walk through the woods and the Ebay HID seems very close to it which i would not expect of a supposed 200k lux light.

I really do like the light and is certainly well made and nice to use especially the lower modes but does not quite meet the expectations i had for the light as a super thrower, but i will say its a nice light and i use it often when i am out walking through forests etc.

I also attached a pic of the driver as i did wonder if it maybe is not been driven as hard as others or maybe just older driver or something else, i know you can mod these for more output which i may end up doing at some point.
TN32_Driver.jpg

Would be nice to see some other peoples drivers to see if they are the same as mine, looking at another review (different site) of this light the driver they showed was different layout to mine (could be pre production board), maybe there are different drivers some better than others idk.

Either way i think at some point i will have a go at modding this light as i have a XM-L2 U4 Bin Led i could swap into it and also could dedome it for more lux and maybe a driver mod too turn it into the light i always wanted as it mostly used for fun :).

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

Been doing a little more testing with my TN32 as i always felt it was under performing compared to others that have been tested.
Using my DX lux meter have gotten a few results at different distances

[email protected] = 120k [email protected]
[email protected] = 85k [email protected]
[email protected] = 128k [email protected]
[email protected] = 125k [email protected]

So a max of 128k for my light which fits pretty well with what i am seeing compared to my 24/28/35w ebay HID with 4300k bulb which in testing is around 96klux and i think more lumens than the TN32 as i often take both for a walk through the woods and the Ebay HID seems very close to it which i would not expect of a supposed 200k lux light.

I really do like the light and is certainly well made and nice to use especially the lower modes but does not quite meet the expectations i had for the light as a super thrower, but i will say its a nice light and i use it often when i am out walking through forests etc.

I also attached a pic of the driver as i did wonder if it maybe is not been driven as hard as others or maybe just older driver or something else, i know you can mod these for more output which i may end up doing at some point.
TN32_Driver.jpg

Would be nice to see some other peoples drivers to see if they are the same as mine, looking at another review (different site) of this light the driver they showed was different layout to mine (could be pre production board), maybe there are different drivers some better than others idk.

Either way i think at some point i will have a go at modding this light as i have a XM-L2 U4 Bin Led i could swap into it and also could dedome it for more lux and maybe a driver mod too turn it into the light i always wanted as it mostly used for fun :).

id just send it to vinh. He used to sell a modded version with xml2 PDT and was 500kcd and 1500 otf lumens

Scourie

Enlightened

The best bang for your buck would be a de-dome, that'll approx double the lux. The tint might turn a bit green though, and you'll lose a little bit of total output. The TN32's were driven hard from the factory.