Thrunite TN36 (3xMK-R, 4x18650) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

selfbuilt

Could you tell me the cd values on high and medium?
Did you measure it?
No, I didn't. But you can estimate by the relative lumen output on each level, proportionate to the Turbo level (i.e. cd and lumen tends to correlate fairly well). It is not an exact relationship but it close enough to give a good estimate.

gritlife

New to CPF...thanks for all the knowledge. Special thanks to the OP for the thorough review.

I picked up a TN36 on Amazon in Cool White and received it last week. I love the floody profile, useful modes, and interface. Unfortunately, one of the emitters started failing whenever I would switch to "firefly" mode (within 4 days of receiving the light). Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm disappointed but plan on exchanging the light through Amazon and giving it another go.

Regards.

imagejpg1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

selfbuilt

I picked up a TN36 on Amazon in Cool White and received it last week. I love the floody profile, useful modes, and interface. Unfortunately, one of the emitters started failing whenever I would switch to "firefly" mode (within 4 days of receiving the light). Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm disappointed but plan on exchanging the light through Amazon and giving it another go.
Interesting pic, can't say I've seen that before. Is it only on Firefly mode, or do the other 3 regions of the die remain off at all levels?

And :welcome:

gritlife

Interesting pic, can't say I've seen that before. Is it only on Firefly mode, or do the other 3 regions of the die remain off at all levels?

And :welcome:

This only happens in "firefly" mode. All 3 of the LED's fire completely in any other mode...strange really.

zs&tas

This only happens in "firefly" mode. All 3 of the LED's fire completely in any other mode...strange really.
Its like firefly is so low there is not enough current left to light the whole of the last led, based on if it works at other levels. I am no expert though. If you think about it asking 3 high power leds to give u a firefly is just as difficult as making a high power light like this in the first place.

brightnorm

Tiny flooders like the remarkably powerful TN36 are great, but throwier commercially dedomed versions may be also very appealing. The Olight M2X-UT Javelot (see Selbuilt's review) shows how dedoming can dramatically increase throw in a ready-made light, and I wonder if that will be one of the future options of these little monsters.

Brightnorm

search_and_rescue

CPF Supporter
I have found from extensive real-life use, experience, trial and error that my eyes cannot handle green tint LEDs. I am getting the TN35 and hopefully its tint will be yellow-brown like the Niwalker MM15. My eyes favor that by a mile. Thanks for the wonderful sharing of ideas here. I would have never known so much about LED lighting.

Fra881

What is the difference in output between CW and NW for these MK-R in the TN36, the usual 7% (average) as for XM-L2?

I read the NW hits "only" 5500 lumens which makes it more than 15% less bright than CW, which, if true, is quite a lot. Can anybody confirm?

Last edited:

IMSabbel

My guess would be that the light is current regulated instead of PWM, and that in firefly mode, the current is low enough that differences in forward voltage between the leds mean one of them is mostly bypassed completely.

plata0190

What is the difference in output between CW and NW for these MK-R in the TN36, the usual 7% (average) as for XM-L2?

I read the NW hits "only" 5500 lumens which makes it more than 15% less bright than CW, which, if true, is quite a lot. Can anybody confirm?
Imo compred with MM15 that's about 5500-5000lm when batteries are above 4.10V, my TN36 NW starts on turbo at 6300lm than when getting warm after 5 minutes lumens decreases at 5700lm. I confirm you if you start TN36 when is cold you can reach certainly 6500lm!

Jay R

Selfbuilt, You say in many of your reviews that you can lock out the head because of the anodized threads. Surely this makes no difference.

Most of the torches ( sorry, flashlights :) ) you review connect the negative through the tail part of the body to a contact ring around the circuit board in the head. I tested a number of my lights and not a single one of them had a connection/short/electrical continuity from the body of the head to this ring. Therefore, if the heads weren't anodized, it would make no difference at all to the operation of any of the lights. Locking out, as you know, is achieved by unscrewing the head enough to break the contact with the circuit board in the head. The anodizing on the thread plays no part.

selfbuilt

Most of the torches ( sorry, flashlights :) ) you review connect the negative through the tail part of the body to a contact ring around the circuit board in the head. I tested a number of my lights and not a single one of them had a connection/short/electrical continuity from the body of the head to this ring. Therefore, if the heads weren't anodized, it would make no difference at all to the operation of any of the lights. Locking out, as you know, is achieved by unscrewing the head enough to break the contact with the circuit board in the head. The anodizing on the thread plays no part.
You are right in this case - the anodizing is irrelevant on the TN36, since contact is made through the battery carrier end plate (as is the case on most lights with carriers). I've corrected that line in the review.

But for most of the flashlights I review, anodizing does matter - in the tailcap. I agree that anodizing of threads for the head region is often irrelevant, for the reason you point out (i.e., the exposed end of the battery tube can make contact with an isolated contact ring in the head). But in the tail region, it is generally a different matter - the contact ring is in fact a switch retaining ring, and is usually in full contact with the tailcap threads (and hence, the body tube which carries the current path). Indeed, this ring is screwed into the threads. So without tail thread anodizing, on most lights, the current path could always flow through the screw threads and no lock-out would be possible.

This is why I typically specifically refer to anodizing on the tail screw threads in my reviews, as this is where it matters - at least on most single-cell or in-series lights without a carrier.

davpet

Hi Dear CPF members,

I thought I would add a remark here, regarding ordering a ThruNite TN36, bundled with the MCC-4 charger and four 3400mAh 18650 batteries.

Long story short, I live in Budapest, Hungary, Europe. I ordered directly from ThruNite, the order was shipped from the German warehouse through amazon, by UPS. On the delivery date, I was waiting for my package, and called UPS customer service a number of times. They said that the package is on its way, and should be delivered at any moment. At night, before 8 pm a UPS employee called me and said that something went wrong, and he "found my package" in the warehouse, so it will only be delivered the next day. The package was delivered next day. It was sealed, looked ok from the outside, but when I opened it, IT WAS EMPTY! The boxes of the lamp, the charger and the batteries were carefully placed back and closed. Fortunately, there were cameras and a witness where I opened the box, but unfortunately I already signed in the device of the UPS guy.. I would never have thought that someone would steal a registered package, and it was not even local post that carried it.

I will try to obtain the serial nr. of the TN36, so if it ends up anywhere, everyone would know that it's the stolen one.

Of course I contacted UPS and ThruNite, but at first UPS seemed very ignorant. They even said that since the sender payed the shipping fee, the situation can only be solved between them.

I hope that ThruNite and UPS will handle the situation quickly, 'cause right now I am missing 279.95 dollars.

markr6

Hi Dear CPF members,

I thought I would add a remark here, regarding ordering a ThruNite TN36, bundled with the MCC-4 charger and four 3400mAh 18650 batteries.

Long story short, I live in Budapest, Hungary, Europe. I ordered directly from ThruNite, the order was shipped from the German warehouse through amazon, by UPS. On the delivery date, I was waiting for my package, and called UPS customer service a number of times. They said that the package is on its way, and should be delivered at any moment. At night, before 8 pm a UPS employee called me and said that something went wrong, and he "found my package" in the warehouse, so it will only be delivered the next day. The package was delivered next day. It was sealed, looked ok from the outside, but when I opened it, IT WAS EMPTY! The boxes of the lamp, the charger and the batteries were carefully placed back and closed. Fortunately, there were cameras and a witness where I opened the box, but unfortunately I already signed in the device of the UPS guy.. I would never have thought that someone would steal a registered package, and it was not even local post that carried it.

I will try to obtain the serial nr. of the TN36, so if it ends up anywhere, everyone would know that it's the stolen one.

Of course I contacted UPS and ThruNite, but at first UPS seemed very ignorant. They even said that since the sender payed the shipping fee, the situation can only be solved between them.

I hope that ThruNite and UPS will handle the situation quickly, 'cause right now I am missing 279.95 dollars.

Wow!! Sorry to hear that. Amazon is involved, right? Maybe they would help. They have been VERY helpful to me in the past...almost to the point where I feel guilty.

BTW, I am searching for a big flooder and I added this one to my list to consider.

Cesarn

Thanks for this review. I'm looking for a tough light like that. Could be the good one, i like the design of that one and this mat black.

davpet

Wow!! Sorry to hear that. Amazon is involved, right? Maybe they would help. They have been VERY helpful to me in the past...almost to the point where I feel guilty.

BTW, I am searching for a big flooder and I added this one to my list to consider.

Yes, the box had Amazon's logo on it. When the item was shipped, in the email they sent me it said: "fulfillment by Amazon".