• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Thrunite TN42vn 2018 - Best Rounded Thrower R

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
If there's going to be a more powerful (new driver) version of the TN42vn CTF 90 I should probably wait for that.

Hey Steve, Vinh is working on a heavy duty driver that will handle the higher current that this led can use. Believe it or not, at 4,300 lumen and 900k lux this led is under driven.

This will be the ultimate High Output Thrower!

hahoo

Enlightened
Hey Steve, Vinh is working on a heavy duty driver that will handle the higher current that this led can use. Believe it or not, at 4,300 lumen and 900k lux this led is under driven.

no it wont
that will be reserved for the gt with the cft90 , once it gets driven properly
will be hard to out throw that massive 5 inch reflector

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^^^
While that's true, my GT weighs 5 pounds compared to my TN42vn that weighs 2 pounds (all including batteries). The TN42vn barely fits my description of a portable flashlight. The GT is a novelty and the only reason I have one is the stupid cheap price from the 1st batch.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! Yeah I emailed Vinh to make sure I got the big boy! Really excited for this thrower. From what I'm reading it's gonna be around 5,000+ lumens and approaching 1 million candela. Amazing!

hahoo

Enlightened
^^^^^^
While that's true, my GT weighs 5 pounds compared to my TN42vn that weighs 2 pounds (all including batteries). The TN42vn barely fits my description of a portable flashlight. The GT is a novelty and the only reason I have one is the stupid cheap price from the 1st batch.

pound for pound the 42 will be hard to beat, but none the less, the gt will still beat it by a landslide, in sheer output and throw.
the gt should approach 1.8 mcd or more when fully driven, ...thats right at twice the lux of the 42
dont get me wrong, i love my tn42vn, but it is literally half the light of the gt, in both size and output
ive got 2 blf gt lights sitting here from the original buy, it was def a steal at the price
no novelty here, i use mine all the time

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
no it wont
that will be reserved for the gt with the cft90 , once it gets driven properly
will be hard to out throw that massive 5 inch reflector

I guess you are right about that. Actually, I am thinking about having Vinh add the CFT90 to my GT. Part of the reason I am part of the pass around is to get an idea of what the full power TN42vn CFT90 is capable of. I realize that the GT will out throw the TN42vn, and Vinh might be able to drive the led a little harder to squeeze out of few more lumens as well. But if I plan on using my ultimate High Output Thrower on a regular basis, the TN42 might be the choice I make simply because the GT is so big and heavy that I know that I would not use it as much as I would a TN24 sized light.

The other night I set my GT on a tree stump pointed at the treeline about 1400 yards away. I then walked through the field to get to the treeline and sure enough, it was lit up pretty well. The trouble is that at that distance I really can't see much detail in what I am looking at. The lit up the area very well, but my eye's just can see that far. The GT has taught me that what I really want is a thrower that will put as many lumens as is realistically possible on a target that is within the functional range of my eye sight and is small enough that I will actually use it. As much fun as it would be to have a GTvn, I will likely go with the TN42vn if the output meets my needs simply because I know I will use it more.

Hell, I have a daughter at a private university and $600 will pay for almost two weeks of her tuition! Could you imagine the flashlight collection I could have if she was just a little bit better volleyball player and got that full ride? Ahh the choices we make.

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
pound for pound the 42 will be hard to beat, but none the less, the gt will still beat it by a landslide, in sheer output and throw.
the gt should approach 1.8 mcd or more when fully driven, ...thats right at twice the lux of the 42
dont get me wrong, i love my tn42vn, but it is literally half the light of the gt, in both size and output
ive got 2 blf gt lights sitting here from the original buy, it was def a steal at the price

What do think about the shorty battery tube they are talking about? I know that I would get one. It would still be a very big light, but it would be a little smaller and lighter but would still have lots of run time.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast

What version TN42vn do you have? Surely you're not saying that the TN42vn90 is half the light of the GT. Maybe I'm confused, but isn't the 4,300 lumen / 900kcd expected measurements with the old driver? If my thinking is correct then with the new driver and 5,000+ lumens the candela should approach 1Mcd.

Considering the stock GT has barely 2,000 lumens and maybe 1.1Mcd (by conservative measurement) then the TN42vnCTF90 (with new driver) would be the clear winner between the two. I mean we can't really see the difference between 1.1Mcd and 1Mcd, but we can definitely see the difference between 2,000 and 5,000 lumens.

Please correct me if I've got this all wrong.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand that the GT with CFT 90 and new driver would certainly be the boss. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what I can expect from the TN42vn90 with new driver.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do think about the shorty battery tube they are talking about? I know that I would get one. It would still be a very big light, but it would be a little smaller and lighter but would still have lots of run time.

I would definitely be buying the shorty tube for my GT. I don't give a squat about runtime but I'd gladly accept less weight.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Basically if you care about the runtime and doesn't mind about the weight, then 8 cells set up is great..

i am sure shorty gt vn will be perfect.

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
I would definitely be buying the shorty tube for my GT. I don't give a squat about runtime but I'd gladly accept less weight.

I think they said that run time at 2 or 2.5 amps would be 1 1/2 hours, then would run longer at a lower level. Plenty on run time with four cells.

I have read that we can get upward of 6,000 lumens out of this led if driven harder, but still within it's limits. I would think that Vinh will be a little conservative about driving the led too close to its limit because replacing blown led's could get very expensive. I think that 5,000 lumens is absolutely possible without being so close to the edge and risking blown led's.

Can't wait to see Vinh's numbers on the finished product.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
..... if I plan on using my ultimate High Output Thrower on a regular basis, the TN42 might be the choice I make simply because the GT is so big and heavy that I know that I would not use it as much as I would a TN24 sized light....
.... The GT has taught me that what I really want is a thrower that will put as many lumens as is realistically possible on a target that is within the functional range of my eye sight and is small enough that I will actually use it......

Hell, I have a daughter at a private university and $600 will pay for almost two weeks of her tuition!

I'm on the same page. Give me a big, big hot spot that lights a distance compatible with my eyesight, in a flashlight that I will use.

Oh, try 6 kids at 6 different universities from New England to Texas to Florida. :ugh: I could have Newlumen's collection! LOL