Thrunite TN42vn 2018 - Best Rounded Thrower R

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
TN42vn with CFT 90 Final Details

Lumen 4500
Intensity 900KCd
Throw 1897m

No performance increase over 1st prototype but Turbo now holds until near battery depletion
Excellent heat management
Circuitry takes repeated turbo cycles with no reliability issues
Reliability was a key for this buck circuit development
Circuitry build with extra premium parts
UI Might not be VNX2...Update very soon on this.
Price still at $600

TN42vn90 VS GTvn90

$600 VS $675
2S2P VS 8p Battery Config
Minimum 2 cell VS any number 18650
~4500 Lumen VS ~5000 Lumen
~900Kcd VS ~ 1500Kcd
2lbs with batts VS 5lbs with batts
Side holster carry VS Back pack or shoulder strap

TN42vn90 at $300 and GTvn90 at $400 would make these lovely for most
Even $400 & $500 would be acceptable
Sadly this is not the case...

Yet even at said price my love strongly goes to one of the two above
It is the TN42vn90
I would pick this light if its the only flashlight I can have in my collection
The combination of throw, lumen, size and heat management is just perfect
I would never mind more performance but this light is already twice as bright as the XHP35 HI with a much larger hot spot size with over 100Kcd more
Yeah the price sucks but other than that I absolutely think this light is amazing
The GTvn performance is amazing too but it better be at that size
To me the WOW & practical factor is less than that of the TN42vn90

As of now the TN42vn90 is the light that I am most excited to use and take out of the house :)

ChrisDonaldson

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately USPS mis-delivered the TN42vn90 pass around proto. Its now lost. Oh well...

giphy.gif

Curse you Postal Service!

Unfortunately USPS mis-delivered the TN42vn90 pass around proto. Its now lost. Oh well...

That is a shame. As slow as USPS can be at times, they have only lost 1 piece of mail in my life[60 years]. My guess is that it accidentally on purpose disappeared.I hope I am wrong.

No one posted multiple photos of this light except for that guy capelli.I kept waiting for more and it never happened and now it never will.:sigh:

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
My son just received delivery of TN42vn Oslen flat black. We took it and my BLF GT out last night and I think the TN42vn just slightly out reaches the GT.
Of course my arm muscles were bigger than his too, after carrying the GT around the neighborhood! LOL

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my TN42vn Oslon Black.

It is rated by Vinh at 1.28 Mcd, although I measure 1.37 Mcd at 34 feet with fully charged LG3500mAH batteries. That matches my better (of 2) Rev-Victor Enthusiast, which uses an aspheric lens and a Wavien collar. It is amazing that a moderately sized reflector light can match the Rev-Victor Enthusiast!

The hot spot is so much smaller than the BLF GTvn90, that it is like comparing a rapier to a broadsword.

Of course, the flashlight sizes match this comparison, too.

I have messured my tn42vn oslon at least ten times at 10m exactly and constantly messure over 1.5m CD. I get 1.2 m with stock gt and 1.4 -1.5m with the cft 90 gt. I think my meter is very close to being spot on becuase most are measuring 1.2m cd with the stock gt.

star_c_star

Enlightened
I have messured my tn42vn oslon at least ten times at 10m exactly and constantly messure over 1.5m CD. I get 1.2 m with stock gt and 1.4 -1.5m with the cft 90 gt. I think my meter is very close to being spot on becuase most are measuring 1.2m cd with the stock gt.

Hi Alex,

My measurements were originally made with an Extech LT40, a meter I highly recommend since it is very simple to use, and is reasonably accurate.

Next, I purchased the Extech LT45, which verifies the measurements of the LT40 (exactly, to 3 places), but has more options, such as selectable spectral ranges to measure.

Both of these meters are targeted to measure LED lights, but can measure incandescent ones and other types.

With both meters, I measure my Tn42vn Oslon at 1.37 mCD, and my BLF GTvn90 at 1.6 - 1.71 mCD (the GTvn90's hot spot is large, and has variation within it). I still need to measure the BLF GTvn90 at more than 35 feet. 60 feet or more would be better.

Your TN42vn Oslon seems like a better thrower than mine, so I would probably measure it at 1.5 mCD or more with my meters, too. However, I'm happy with 1.37 mCD (Vinh measured 1.28 mCD).

When performing Lux measurements, the state of battery charge seems to change the readings, either a little for some lights, or a lot for others. The type of battery used is also important, as you already discovered.

Last edited:

star_c_star

Enlightened
TN42vn with CFT 90 Final Details

Lumen 4500
Intensity 900KCd
Throw 1897m

No performance increase over 1st prototype but Turbo now holds until near battery depletion
Excellent heat management
Circuitry takes repeated turbo cycles with no reliability issues
Reliability was a key for this buck circuit development
Circuitry build with extra premium parts
UI Might not be VNX2...Update very soon on this.
Price still at $600

TN42vn90 VS GTvn90

$600 VS $675
2S2P VS 8p Battery Config
Minimum 2 cell VS any number 18650
~4500 Lumen VS ~5000 Lumen
~900Kcd VS ~ 1500Kcd
2lbs with batts VS 5lbs with batts
Side holster carry VS Back pack or shoulder strap

TN42vn90 at $300 and GTvn90 at $400 would make these lovely for most
Even $400 & $500 would be acceptable
Sadly this is not the case...

Yet even at said price my love strongly goes to one of the two above
It is the TN42vn90
I would pick this light if its the only flashlight I can have in my collection
The combination of throw, lumen, size and heat management is just perfect
I would never mind more performance but this light is already twice as bright as the XHP35 HI with a much larger hot spot size with over 100Kcd more
Yeah the price sucks but other than that I absolutely think this light is amazing
The GTvn performance is amazing too but it better be at that size
To me the WOW & practical factor is less than that of the TN42vn90

As of now the TN42vn90 is the light that I am most excited to use and take out of the house :)

Vinh,

Your praise makes us want the TN42vn90 even more.

About how much longer before it is released?

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Drivers should be here today or tomorrow. Light will takes 3-4 days to build as a batch so really hoping to get these about mid-end of next week. Thank you everyone for being extra patience with this project.

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Remember the pass around TN42vn90?! I went missing for like 1-2 months and now its here Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy