Thrunite TN4A (XP-L V6, 4xAA) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

kooter

Enlightened
Got mine today. :kiss:

Liking it a lot.

Smaller than I anticipated too and feels just right in your hand.

EnlightenedOne

Newly Enlightened
Got mine from Amazon and my 2500 Powerexes seem to fight snug but not too tight at all. Got the cool white and don't notice any real tint. I have purchased a few Thrunites very recently and it seems to be a great brand. My cool white TN12 2014 is very warm but I like a mixture of tints and have no aversion to any of them. Great throw on the TN4A.

bladesmith3

Enlightened
did anyone else notice that amazon says it will ship in 1 or 2 MONTHS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Price:
$xx.xx & FREE Shipping. Details

"""""Usually ships within 1 to 2 months""""" ThruNite® TN4A 1150Lumen Single CREE XP-L V6 LED Flashlight/Powered by 4 AA batteries
by ThruNite

14 customer reviews

Usually ships within 1 to 2 months.

Last edited:

EnlightenedOne

Newly Enlightened
I ordered mine from Amazon a few days ago and it showed a 3-4 day in-stock expectation. However, I then received a shipping notice and got it yesterday. I imagine whatever stock they had went quickly.

desmobob

Enlightened
I received my new TN4A today and I really like it a lot so far. I'm sitting at my computer desk, tapping my fingers, waiting for it to get dark outside. :)

I want to extend a huge "Thank you!" to selfbuilt for providing us with his excellent reviews. As a newbie, I feel that choosing a light without them would be kind of scary.... :) Well, not scary, really, but I think you know what I mean. Thanks again!

Take it easy,
Bob

desmobob

Enlightened
anyone got the neutral white yet? Be very interesting to see how it compares to my cool white

I picked the neutral white version. I love it (but shouldn't even try to describe it as I'm hopelessly color-challenged). It definitely lacks the a lot of the "harshness" I dislike about cooler lights.

At the price of the TN4A, you can get one of each!

Take it easy,
Bob

evivbulgroz

Newly Enlightened
I just received the NW tn4a (I had the CW version before, but I sent it back because I didn't like the greenish tint).All I can say is that the tint is more pleasing to my eyes.I really disliked the CW tint.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I want to extend a huge "Thank you!" to selfbuilt for providing us with his excellent reviews. As a newbie, I feel that choosing a light without them would be kind of scary.... :) Well, not scary, really, but I think you know what I mean. Thanks again!
My pleasure. :)

I just received the NW tn4a (I had the CW version before, but I sent it back because I didn't like the greenish tint).All I can say is that the tint is more pleasing to my eyes.I really disliked the CW tint.
Yes, I suspect part of the issue with the cool white XP-L in the TN4A is that there is more regional variation in tint with this particular reflector combo. Even with XP-G2/XM-L2 emitters, it's not uncommon for a relative "green-yellow" effect to get pulled out in the corona (with a "bluish-purple" effect in the distant spill). It was just more noticeable than usual on my TN4A sample (and seems to be commonly reported). Neutral white may indeed be the way to go for those who are bothered by this.

evivbulgroz

Newly Enlightened
there seems to be a very slight "pwm" on firefly mode, but only when the flaslight hasn't been powered on for some time and you turn it on directly on firefly mode.After changing mode, it disappears.I don't know if it's specific to NW version.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
there seems to be a very slight "pwm" on firefly mode, but only when the flaslight hasn't been powered on for some time and you turn it on directly on firefly mode.After changing mode, it disappears.I don't know if it's specific to NW version.
Rather than PWM, the flicker you are detecting is likely due to current instability. It's a fairly common issue on current-controlled with lights with firefly/moonlight modes - some circuit/emitter combinations will show it, others won't. The issue is that is apparently hard to get a reliably stable current in every case - on some samples, a flicker is consistently produced. If it is distracting, I would suggest you consider returning it for replacement/repair.

evivbulgroz

Newly Enlightened
Rather than PWM, the flicker you are detecting is likely due to current instability. It's a fairly common issue on current-controlled with lights with firefly/moonlight modes - some circuit/emitter combinations will show it, others won't. The issue is that is apparently hard to get a reliably stable current in every case - on some samples, a flicker is consistently produced. If it is distracting, I would suggest you consider returning it for replacement/repair.

That's not at all distracting, it's very faint and barely noticeable.It would be a hassle to send it back as I'm sure nearly all models exhibit it to some degree.I had a fenix e41 that was showing a very noticeable flickering on low mode, and it wasn't even a moonlight mode(20 lumens).So even with that, the tn4a seems to be very well regulated.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
That's not at all distracting, it's very faint and barely noticeable.It would be a hassle to send it back as I'm sure nearly all models exhibit it to some degree.
I agree, it's not always worth the hassle - it would need to be a significant flicker for me as well. But it may just be a sample (and/or batch) effect - I doubt all models would show it to some degree, given that their was no sign of it on my CW version.

evivbulgroz

Newly Enlightened
I agree, it's not always worth the hassle - it would need to be a significant flicker for me as well. But it may just be a sample (and/or batch) effect - I doubt all models would show it to some degree, given that their was no sign of it on my CW version.

I meant, maybe it's because of the led which is a xm-l v2.Maybe, if you have the opportunity, It could be interesting to do some measurements to see how it compares with xp-l version.

Last edited:

toobig

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered a TN4A from ThruNite Direct and it came inFulfilled by Amazon shipping out of Kentucky. I had it two days after placing my order. Mine came in with a lanyard hole and it doeshave an anti-reflective coating on the lens. I only have alkaline and lithium L91 batteries on hand but the carriertook them both pretty easily. Can't see any flicker in firefly mode. I got theNeutral White version and like it much better than my old Cool White Olight M30.
I think Olight hit the ball out of the park with this one. Amazing amount of light out of AA bats andthe short and stubby form factor feels great in the hand. UI with side switch is perfect and a quarterturn locks it out.
I can't get over the flashlight tech now available!

toobig

Newly Enlightened
Are there any reasons NOT to use L91 Energizer Ultimate Lithium bats in the TN4A? Please disregard cost.
Might they even perform better than Panasonic 2450's?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
No there is no reason why you cannot use L91's. They will crank at 1.5v per cell until they are flat out. Light may burn a little brighter but I suspect you wont get quite the run times out of L91's vs NiMHs. Interesting, I may try a set of L91's. I have yet to experience any step down whatsoever on my TN4A. I have left it on turbo for nearly 45 minutes before but the thermal sensor just did not trip. I wonder if running L91's will drive the light hard enough to generate more heat thus tripping the sensor for step down...