Thrunite TN4A (XP-L V6, 4xAA) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any reasons NOT to use L91 Energizer Ultimate Lithium bats in the TN4A?

I don't know about this light in particular...but L91s don't always work well. They do have a significantly higher voltage under load than either alkalines or Eneloops, and if the driver is sensitive to voltage, it can cause issues, particularly right at the beginning when they are delivering maximum voltage. As far as I know it doesn't cause any damage, but there are lights that definitely do better with NiMH.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Didn't notice any issues with L91 on the TN4A, on max. You do sometimes stumble across issues on max levels (due to the higher voltage), but all was fine here:

TN4A-HiL91.gif

toobig

Newly Enlightened
Yes SB I saw your graph for L91 and that's what got me thinking. You report 77 minutes for L91 and 50 minutes for Panasonic 2550 Nimh with TN4A on Turbo. That's a significant improvement in runtime! However, the above Turbo graph is the only graph for L91 you included in your review and I assumed High and Med would still show an advantage of L91 over Nimh. Is this assumption correct?

BTW Olight reports TN4A has a working voltage range of 2.75-8 V. L91 cells have a nominal voltage of 1.5 and let's say when fresh we're at 1.7 V. That adds up to 6.8 V which is still within working range of TN4A.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Given the cost, I don't do lower output run times on L91. I would expect there to remain a runtime advantage at relatively high outputs, but for this to become less so at lower outputs. L91 are optimized for high drain devices.

bladesmith3

Enlightened
I got my tn4a CW I am impressed. for a light with an op reflector it throws great. I am a fan of CW I guess because my eyes are getting old. this appears as CW as anything. if I really look hard at a white wall I might see a little tint on the extreme outer edge but nice to me. it is my favorite 4AA light. I walked with it for the past 2 nights and the UI became natural. I think this is a deal for the price.

teotwawki

Newly Enlightened
I may have missed it in the review somewhere. Did you review the neutral or cool white version?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yes, all my reviews are cool white, unless specified that they are neutral white. In the case of the TN4A, the cool white version I tested was relatively warm - but still at the border of the cool white range.

efoo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for this comprehensive reviews (as well as the 4-AA LED torches comparison). I spend all night last night reading up reviews and watching YouTube videos on this torch, as well as on Nitecore EA41. Ended up ordering this one (neutral white model) from eBay. Can't wait to see a 1000 lumen light in action. My current brightest torch is the Fenix LD20 (with 180 lumens in turbo mode).

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive had the CW TN4A a few months now and it still just dominates all my other much more expensive "stubbies". I am still just so dumbfounded by how good this light is I just ordered the NW version and cannot wait to get it! The CW vs NW reviews Ive seen on YT are more than convincing enough to order a second bargain priced 4xAA superlight lol

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review Selfbuilt! I have not posted on the forum for about a year. Just thought I would check out one of your reviews and see if you were getting things 100% right yet. Looks like you mis-fired a bit at 4:45... "I find Nitecore to be pretty good with lumen estimates"...which is nice of course. But wrong company...lol. Anyways...thinking about buying this light in the CW format. Normally prefer the NW ones...but the CW from what I could tell had a fair amount of yellow in it already. Would you agree?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
ugh those shot were horrid the difference in person is much much more apparent. Am looking for a photo editing program I can buy and load onto my cheap Dell PC so I can just connect my nice little Canon to it and upload them to my PC then to Photobucket. As soon as I can find that Ill be taking beamshots all over the place especially along the Potomac where I live. Just got a Xtar VC4 charger which devours the d4 Ive been using for a long time. The VC4 charges my NiMHs to true full capacity and a smoking 1.5 volts per AA cell so that changes my Stubbie game quite a bit. Just recharged the 2700mah Powerex AA Ive been running in my 2015 EA41 to 1.5 volts per cell which is the first time thats happened and the VC4 added over 2000mah per cell to cells that checked in at a bit over 1.3v so doing some likely incorrect math and these Powerex actually seem to be coming out around the rated 2700mah off the VC4. The difference before and after in the EA41 is striking as hell. Must be the 1.5v but well see how long that lasts. Now onto give the VC4 treatment to the other nearly two dozen lights in my collection. VC4 also charges my 18650s to their cut off limit. Charged a new set of 3400mah Orbtronics to 4.34v per cell!

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't 4.34 a little excessive???
I'm under the belief the Orbs are Panasonic underneath?
Which would be a NCR normally topped out at 4.20?
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're smoking your new Orbs??