Thrunite TN4A (XP-L V6, 4xAA) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
aahhhh..okay got it. The light is not "cutting off" it is stepping down. Hmmm....I have done the following experiment with 3 of my 5 TN4A's-using freshly charged and recently purchased Pro's I take a TN4A out on my back deck at night, stand the light on its tail, click it up to turbo then stand a few feet away while watching the timer on my watch waiting for the light to clearly visually step down. None of the 3 TN4A's I tried this with ever visibly stepped down. I stopped the tests at the 45 minute mark for all 3 I tested. The cells still had enough voltage left to keep the LED indicator blue. NONE of them got "hot" either. Pretty warm yes but "hot" no.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I just ran the batteries on my TN4A Hi until the low voltage step down happened. On my model that is "low" at a rated 14 lumens. I was curious about how much runtime remained, so I left it on overnight. It was still on when I woke up 8 hours later and I just put them on the charger. So remaining runtime on low is *at least* that long.

sbslider

Enlightened
I looked back at my notes and the light steps down when the batteries are down below 3V. If you are running eneloop type batteries down that low, you risk damaging them from what I have read. Bright bird commented that the he got only 3 minutes between when the light changed from blue to red and when the light stepped down in intensity. Makes me wonder what the condition of those batteries were. I have had my light on red and flashing on high for quite sometime, more like ten or more minutes on high mode. On the lower modes (medium, low) I would guess it is MUCH longer.

Ok, here is some data from use on medium mode: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...tor-question&p=5114233&viewfull=1#post5114233

There are a few posts in that thread regarding the light step down using rechargeable NIMH batteries. Looks like the light behaves a bit different with batteries, or the batteries really drop off quickly and then recover when the mode steps down.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Just wanted to confirm that the newer produced TN4A' are coming with the engravings as you have pictured above. The first ones that I bought had Thrunite on one side and TN4A on the opposite panel. The ones I purchased a little later all look just like yours above, so it seems Thrunite is just doing them a little different now.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone needs one of these they are on a lightning deal today over on the "jungle" site.

The lightning deals are fixed quantity, right? They must have gone fast. I happened to see your post maybe an hour after it was posted, and they were regular price.

It looks like Thrunite is doing a holiday sale on their website, though.

sbslider

Enlightened
the lightning deal was for a fixed time, not quantity. I saw it with about 15 minutes left, but I have one already. They were on sale for $32. Like iamlucky13 says, they are available for $40 on the Thrunite site thru 5 Jan.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very late thanks to Selfbuilt for this review!

Even if I really like Nitecore EA41w I don't like that as well moon mode and turbomode are included in the memory, despite these have a direct access. TN4A features the same UI as TN30mini(which I have) with moon mode and turbomode not included in the memory function, that's great. I think I will get a TN4A in neutral white version!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very late thanks to Selfbuilt for this review!

Even if I really like Nitecore EA41w I don't like that as well moon mode and turbomode are included in the memory, despite these have a direct access. TN4A features the same UI as TN30mini(which I have) with moon mode and turbomode not included in the memory function, that's great. I think I will get a TN4A in neutral white version!

I just placed an order for two TN4A in neutral white from Thrunite with 20% christmas coupon. It will be like a little brother to TN30(2016). :popcorn:

My intention was to get one of each XP-L and XP-L Hi but the latter is out of stock and discontinued.

Last edited:

sbslider

Enlightened
I just placed an order for two TN4A in neutral white from Thrunite with 20% christmas coupon. It will be like a little brother to TN30(2016). :popcorn:

My intention was to get one of each XP-L and XP-L Hi but the latter is out of stock and discontinued.

Discontinued! too bad. Actually, I was just able to add the cool white to my cart on the Thrunite site. I guess just the NW Hi is out of stock. Did Thrunite tell you they were discontinuing this particular light?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Discontinued! too bad. Actually, I was just able to add the cool white to my cart on the Thrunite site. I guess just the NW Hi is out of stock. Did Thrunite tell you they were discontinuing this particular light?

Yes, I mailed them and asked when Hi will be in stock again and got the answer that it's discontinued. I am not sure if Thrunite discontinued only the Hi option or both TN4A models, though. I saw that Hi is still available for some other parts of the world.
The question is if Thrunite will release a successor or if they will exclude 4AA from the product line, I have not read any information about it.

Last edited:

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Have you checked the online jungle store? They have them on the .ca store.
Yes, as LeanBurn said, the cool version is still available there for $50, but it does appear the NW version is no longer available.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I got this light when I did. ThruNite's line-up has dwindled a bit over the past few months...hopefully they have something in the works for the new year.

junglestore dot ca still have TN4A HI.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the TN4As earlier this week. It's kinda like a smaller version of TN30 mini. More comfortable in the hand and I very much like the switch and UI which is the same as with TN30mini. As with TN30 the tint is a bit greenish. The spill is very wide which can be a drawback or not depending on the situation or personal opinion. The beam profile is very similar to Fenix TK30 with a beefy hotspot, actually TN4A has very slightly wider spill and larger hotspot than TK30. Both of them have practically no corrona around the hotspot which I personally think is a small drawback. But the beam is smooth and without artifacts.

TN4E compared to Nitecore EA41: personally I prefer the beam character of EA41 for most uses and it's more comfortable in the hand.
The advantage of TN4A is the UI with firefly and turbomode not memorized like with EA41. I also like that when cycling through the levels it does not step up from mid to high but instead it first starts at low mode and then mid-high(like Zebralights). Both are great 4AA lights anyway.

Last edited: