Ti machining advice for noob please...very basic

stallion2

Enlightened
i've found a lot of useful information about Ti on these machining discussion threads....unfortunately it all involves the use of lathes and mills, tools i don't have.

here is the task i've set before myself. i have Sunwayman's V10R Ti and the pocket clip provided w/ it is a disappointment. it's just cheap coated spring steel that snaps around the body of the light and thats it. hardly fitting for a reasonably well made Ti light. what i want to do is drill and tap two holes in the flange around the tailcap and provide myself a way to screw a higher quality clip onto the body similar to what you see w/ a McGizmo or one of Mac's Tri-EDC's. all i have at my disposal is a handheld drill (but could potentially get my hands on a drill press).

first...if all i need to do is drill two holes then would i be ok w/ using a standard hardened bit w/ a little more patience and elbow grease or should i consider using a Ti specific drill bit?

second...from what i've read thus far, it sounds as if thread-forming may be a better solution than the more traditional thread cutting (especially for smaller holes as these will be). is this something that i could do by hand w/ a tap and T-handle???

i've performed similar tasks w/ stainless steel in the past w/ little or no hassel (except for thread-FORMING, have always done thread-cutting in the past). i'm just wondering if my expectations are a little too ambitious and if so then what are some of my other options. thanks in advance for any help!

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don will sell you a very nice Ti clip and include 2 Ti cap screws to match. The job is simple but IMHO only with the correct tools. You need to be able to hold the flashlight firmly and in alignment to the high quality drill and tap you will use.This will require a drill press and quality vise and maybe some sort of adapter to hold without damage. The hole and tap must be exactly perpendicular or the visual result will not look nice. I would NOT recommend that you do this yourself. One little mistake and you have halved the value of your flashlight. Send it to one of our many members who mod lights for payment. For them it will be a simple quick job.
Good Luck.....

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Brain surgery is easier than what you describe ... but it sounds like you're gonna do it anyway, so here goes. (Not responsible for damage to light or body parts :nana: )

Secure the light with something. A padded vise is best.

McGizmo uses a 4-40 button head screw, 3/16" long. Use a #43 Cobalt twist drill (.089") for a cutting tap, lots of sulfur cutting oil on the drill (the thick, black, nasty, smelly stuff - nothing better for drilling Ti), run the drill at 15-20 sfpm (650-850 rpm). If you're lucky, one drill will do both holes and quite a few more. Not so lucky & the drill will break off ... .089" isn't exactly a really big drill bit. Especially in a hand held drill.

You can use a former, but formers require a different sized hole (larger) as the material is displaced both inward & outward from the tap. Formers also require 200-300% more torque than a cutting tap - which increases the likelihood of breaking the tap. Consult the chart for the specific tap you plan to use.

Balax recommends their former #10723-016, and a tap drill size #38 Cobalt (.1015"), again with plenty of sulfur oil, at 550-750 rpm.

Good luck ... without a mill, I wouldn't even think about doing this.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not worked with Ti in a long time. I seem to remember breaking lots of drills and taps. I am with the others here, send it to someone who has done this before.

stallion2

Enlightened
= $32 before the machine gets switched on ...

i had to laugh at that comment, well put.

thanks for all the input, i'm pretty well sold on the idea of sending this to somebody else. any suggestions on who would be some good people to whom i may send this??? i was thinking that maybe Wayne or Mac would be worth approaching. anybody else i should consider?

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast