• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ti PD-S or Lunasol 20 vs Novatac 120p?

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Congrats on your new hobby! I still have an FM2N, and some Kodachrome in the freezer. I fully expect to never use either. On the Lunasol, I'm still on the fence...
daloosh

Nope, that's the first step in finding a cure, of which I don't want. :crazy: I don't see this as much different than camera lenses. And like camera lenses, I expect my wife will only understand the true nature of how many I have after I have passed on.

Off topic, I have a quite a few of the manual Nikon lenses, but now I've moved into digital and these new DX zoom lenses do pretty much everything well and with VR to boot! I used to be a traditionalist, slide shooting with an FM2N (purely mechanical camera) and lugging around 3 extra lenses, filters, and Gitzo, but I have finally conceded that digital is just as good for my non-pro needs. But I still need a good light or three in my camera bag which is suddenly more spacious due to the lack of lenses. I hope they will give some sense of comfort by filling the void where my beloved metal lenses once occupied :mecry:. So, as far as the new flashlight hobby is concerned, game on!

brucec

Enlightened
Congrats on your new hobby! I still have an FM2N, and some Kodachrome in the freezer. I fully expect to never use either. On the Lunasol, I'm still on the fence...
daloosh

I still have a dozen rolls of Velvia, which will also never be used. The whole color palette thing with film translates to the tint thing with LEDs. Maybe we should refer to LEDs by corresponding film tints. I like E100SW for general use.

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
YEAH - GOT BIT BY THAT BUG TOO. WENT THE WAY OF CANON IMAGE STABILIZED ZOOMS FROM 17 UP TO 300MM on a digital rebel XT.

I really want to find a hobby that is cheap - which means no cameras, no guns, no knives, and no flashlights. How dull would THAT be???

Crash

precisionworks

Flashaholic
WENT THE WAY OF CANON IMAGE STABILIZED ZOOMS
The 18-55 IS "kit" lens, which cost just $100 more than the body only, is a nice, small, sharp lens. All my other lenses are older EF mechanical focus, but work pretty well.

Does the PD-S have temperature protection?
I don't remember that anyone ever addressed that issue, but maybe Don will post. The head of my PD-S does get warm if the light is left on for a long time, but that has not caused any problem.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
....... Does the PD-S have temperature protection? I'm actually not so crazy about the automatic thermal step-down in the Novatac.

I believe the chip used in the GDx2 has provision for a thermal check but whether it does or doesn't is moot as the converter itself has no provision for thermal measuring or response to thermal conditions. In normal or anticipated use, the converter does not get hot enough itself nor does or should the LED get so hot that the drive level needs to be reduced. I believe the chip itself will throttle down if it gets too hot but I don't know this for a fact.

In extreme hot ambient conditions, if the light is left on and unattended, it might get so hot to become detrimental to some extent. :shrug: At the designed drive levels, the light itself should not generate so much heat as to be a problem or issue. The drive level is well below the capacity of the LED and I believe it would be unusual if not difficult to get the LED and converter up to "red line". :shrug:

brucec

Enlightened
I believe the chip used in the GDx2 has provision for a thermal check but whether it does or doesn't is moot as the converter itself has no provision for thermal measuring or response to thermal conditions. In normal or anticipated use, the converter does not get hot enough itself nor does or should the LED get so hot that the drive level needs to be reduced. I believe the chip itself will throttle down if it gets too hot but I don't know this for a fact.

In extreme hot ambient conditions, if the light is left on and unattended, it might get so hot to become detrimental to some extent. :shrug: At the designed drive levels, the light itself should not generate so much heat as to be a problem or issue. The drive level is well below the capacity of the LED and I believe it would be unusual if not difficult to get the LED and converter up to "red line". :shrug:

Thanks for the clarification. Actually, my biggest dislikes about the Novatac are the automatic stepdowns for temperature and battery voltage. Well-intentioned, but over-engineered in my opinion.

precisionworks,
You wouldn't happen to have the lumens data for the PD-S mizer would you?

Bruce

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Bruce,

I've never tested a PD-S mizer in my sphere, but will try to estimate the output based on current draw. My understanding is that Don sets the drive level (non-mizer) to 525 Ma, and the mizer level to 300 Ma. That means the mizer is driven at 57% of 'full' power.

My best guess is that the mizer should make about 70 lumens, out the front, which would place it almost equal to the LS20. (FWIW, Don's LS20 readings are 9/78 lumens, so my readings of 9/73 lumens are within 6% of his.) If anyone has both a LS20 and a PD-S mizer, a ceiling bounce or a one meter Lux reading would be a way to test this.

Don has run a number of his lights through a sphere, and may already have this information available.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Don has run a number of his lights through a sphere, and may already have this information available.

With all of the variables in play and not limited just to the LED, I believe seeing a 10-20% variation in measured (out the front) output or battery runtime, is possible with many of the lights we use. Certainly a bench mark can be a useful aid but one needs to keep in mind that that mark could just as easily and just as legitimately, be elsewhere on the bench! Too often I see a single number that got posted or printed become the measure to be associated with the full population of the item's kin. Of course the same happens with tint or color from a single LED and is presumed to be a constant among all. YMMV should probably be replaced with YMWV (your mileage will vary)!

Optik49

Enlightened
Great thread. I learned a lot. It kind of seems the Lunasol 20 in like an A2 with an led instead of an incan. I do have a question about the UI is it light push for low flood hard for the high or is it a press once low press again high? I too am also torn between the TI-PD-S and the Lunasol 20. My issues are that I like how bright my Novatac 120P is the same with my Nightcore EX10. I also like the my A2 from low flood to high. I have a cliky ordered but I think I need an appetizer to hold me over.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optik49,

The UI is light push for low flood and hard push for high (plus low). Or screw in the head and you get low flood constant on (push for high, if you want), turn in some more and you get high constant on. It's almost exactly like the A2 LOTC, but with the addition of being able to activate the light from the head, instead of solely from the tail.

Optik49

Enlightened
Thanks js. Both lights seem very impressive. I recently delayed on a few used lights and they sold fast. I think sometimes it the hunt that makes this even more addicting.

brucec

Enlightened
Hi Optik49,
A week ago, I was in your shoes trying to decide between the LS20 and PD-S. Then I realized how many hours I was spending just spinning my cognitive wheels to no end. The answer is obvious, you must have both. For a cool grand, you can have peace of mind again.

Bruce

Thanks js. Both lights seem very impressive. I recently delayed on a few used lights and they sold fast. I think sometimes it the hunt that makes this even more addicting.

Optik49

Enlightened
Hi Optik49,
A week ago, I was in your shoes trying to decide between the LS20 and PD-S. Then I realized how many hours I was spending just spinning my cognitive wheels to no end. The answer is obvious, you must have both. For a cool grand, you can have peace of mind again.

Bruce

WOW or I suppose you could send me the two you have. I could look at both for a day, pick one and then mail both of them back to you. One of the toughest things is the amount of money involved in getting just one of these lights. I think seeing one in person would help. :laughing:

Elmie

Enlightened
Crap....I was in the same boat. On the fence about the L20 or the L27. So ordered the L20 from Mcgizmo and traded my HDS for a L27. L20 should be here this Monday and the L27 hopefully by the end of next week. Can't wait!!!

brucec

Enlightened
Crap....I was in the same boat. On the fence about the L20 or the L27. So ordered the L20 from Mcgizmo and traded my HDS for a L27. L20 should be here this Monday and the L27 hopefully by the end of next week. Can't wait!!!

I don't have mine yet either, but knowing they are coming is some respite in itself.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say that I am completely enamored with the LS20. As others have said, the low flood option is simply wonderful and more useful than any low on other multi-level reflectored lights thtat I have used.

I believe that Don is setting a trend with the Luna Sol brand and we will see more of this to come in the future.

I have used it more than any other light since I got it.

And to think, I didn't think that I would be too impressed; if it wasn't for JS, I would never had tried it and would have completely missed out on its wonderful utility.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
: )>

Has your *ahem* *cough* -- . . . wife found out how much you spent on it yet, or did you dodge that bullet? LOL! Just curious. More importantly, though, I'm really glad you don't feel that I steered you wrong on the LS20, and that you, like me, are impressed with this light.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife had "the talk" with me earlier in the week:crazy:

Happy to say that the Luna Sol and the wife are both still happily living under my roof:devil:

One more plus about the Luna Sol... it don't talk back or complain:twothumbs