• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ti PD-S or Lunasol 20 vs Novatac 120p?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crap....I was in the same boat. On the fence about the L20 or the L27. So ordered the L20 from Mcgizmo and traded my HDS for a L27. L20 should be here this Monday and the L27 hopefully by the end of next week. Can't wait!!!
What a great trade!!
An HDS (any HDS) for a Lunasol L27 is a great bargain for the guy who gets the Lunasol 27.

Heck you traded an easy (for the most part) to get aluminum flashlight for one of What? 50 or 60 Lunasol L27's?
Hey if you don't like the Lunasol I will trade you back a HDS for it...
Yaesumofo

Elmie

Enlightened
What a great trade!!
An HDS (any HDS) for a Lunasol L27 is a great bargain for the guy who gets the Lunasol 27.

Heck you traded an easy (for the most part) to get aluminum flashlight for one of What? 50 or 60 Lunasol L27's?
Hey if you don't like the Lunasol I will trade you back a HDS for it...
Yaesumofo

LOL...don't get too carried away. Obviously I paid on top.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Back to the OP, the more the PD-S is used, the better I like it:D

Now that darkness comes an hour earlier, my PD-S is used every night to navigate a walking trail in the city park. The trail is unmarked, covered in fallen leaves, and has numerous trip hazards. The 4.5 lumen low is perfect, plenty of light without killing my night vision.

As much as I've enjoyed each McGizmo, this one is the best of the best.

Optik49

Enlightened
It's ordered and on the way. I do kind of feel like Chevy Chase stand at the edge of the pool in Vacation saying "this is crazy, this is crazy, this is crazy". LOL :crackup:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL...don't get too carried away. Obviously I paid on top.

Hope you enjoy the LS27 =) Let me know how it goes!

Yaesu, is it true that the LS27 will not be made anymore?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope you enjoy the LS27 =) Let me know how it goes!

Yaesu, is it true that the LS27 will not be made anymore?

I can't speak for Don I have no idea what his planned for the LS27 are.
I beleive that it has been said that the LS27 will not be produced any more.
Never say never?
Ask Don.

IMHO the LS27 also a great light.
Yaesumofo

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
A quick update. I received my LS20 about a week ago. Great light! I had given up on multi-led lights, but I have to say, the low on the LS20 is the most useful out of any light that I own, rivaling my headlamps. I have been using ceiling bounce on high with my other lights to achieve flood, but I don't have to do that with the LS20. The high mode is really just a medium, but it makes it up with a nice tight spot good for longer reach. I really like the McGizmo ridges instead of knurling.

A couple of things...the piston is indeed stiff, but manageable. It has been breaking in a bit, but I am also doing the group buy for the softer spring. And boy, that clip is TIGHT! I can barely budge it. And one end of the trit is very near to the surface of the epoxy.

All in all, truly a top notch light. Already my EDC.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The pretension in the clip can be adjusted to user preference but as I have stated before, it is easy to reduce the tension of the clip with it on the light but not easy to increase the tension.

Regarding the H3 vial, I think the Norland 61 I have has thickened to the point now that the vials are buoyant. It's either that or bubbles coalesce under the vials in some cases and cause them to partially rise during the cure. I am stocked up on completed pistons now so it will be quite some time before I visit H3 installations again but I may need to go to a two step installation technique where I first partially flood the pocket and bond the vial in place and then follow up with filling the pocket. :thinking: :shrug: There are a number of reasons and considerations in support of not including these H3 vials in the lights which I don't think need to be discussed (bad idea) but as long as I can continue as I have with reasonable acceptance I plan to continue. :eek: (consider room between the lines here for thoughts unspoken)

brucec

Enlightened
The pretension in the clip can be adjusted to user preference but as I have stated before, it is easy to reduce the tension of the clip with it on the light but not easy to increase the tension.

Does that mean bending the clip outwards while attached to the light? About how far do I have to go to get into plastic deformation?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Does that mean bending the clip outwards while attached to the light? About how far do I have to go to get into plastic deformation?

Yes, this is what I mean. I can't give you a good bench mark of how far you need to go because I haven't and idea of what that might be or how much tension you want. If you can come up with a number of items that are the same thickness like say tongue depressors, you can slide some of these under the clip and then increase the number until you have permanently deformed the clip far enough away from the body to get the tension where you wish it.

Alternatively, you can lift the clip off the pak and measure the distance you have lifted it and continue doing this in measured increments of increase until you have reached your goal.

You can also just eyeball the situation and bend the clip away from the pak.

brucec

Enlightened
My "Death Grip Clip" has now been downgraded to "Gorilla Grip Clip". Thanks for the advice everyone!

brucec

Enlightened
So, I have received both Ti PD-S and Lunasol 20 and thought I might give a few comments to wrap up this thread. I thought I might finish the comparisons of the McGizmos to the Novatac 120p.

LS20 (vs Novatac 120p)
High output around the range of Novatac's 60/85lm settings. VERY nice low beam and tight throwy high. Definitely cool white compared to the nearly neutral (by my eyes) beam of the Novatac SSC.

Ti PD-S (vs Novatac 120p)
High output nearly identical to Novatac's 120lm setting. Tighter spot. Warmer tint than the Novatac, but the Novatac has a smoother beam.

Construction (vs Novatac 120p)
Well, there is no question about it, the McGizmos are nicer lights. Tougher materials, no clicky rubber bootie, bulletproof 2-stage operation, and no loose parts to fall out when changing batteries. Both McGizmos lights and Novatacs are fine durable lights, but I must say there is a lot of elegance and grace that go hand in hand with toughness on the McGizmos. These Ti lights are right at home in my suit jacket compared to the knurled madness on the Novatacs.

Ti PD-S vs LS20
Well, I have to say I am favoring the PD-S, even though the LS20 is clearly the better light. The LS20's action is smoother, head is sexier, better sealing and shock absorbing sapphire, longer runtime, and the best low mode I have ever seen. The PD-S is literally rough around the edges, especially those bezel scallops, compared to the LS20. However, I must say, the SSC beats the Osram hands down in my book. The Golden Dragon is a nice emitter in its own right, but I still like the creamy smooth goodness and punch of the P4. Now, if I could get a SSC into the LS20 head, that would be something!

Thanks everyone for the great discussion and introduction to these little gems!