Ti Universal pocket clip

precisionworks

He said that he stripped original the screws when he removed the clip to get the coating done.
The only driver that works well on Ti allen heads is the Thorp Hex Driver made by MIP - that's the brand recommended by Don. The reason they don't strip the heads is interesting ... they are not forged to a hex shape like every other available driver but rather are ground from M2 drill rod. Grinding is a slower & more costly process but produces a true hexagonal shape with sharp corners that provide much better torque transmission.

I bought a set here:http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/s.nl?search=thorp+hex&x=0&y=0

the ones Lunsford is selling don't have the same tolerances, and the heads are sometimes too small.
Here's the ANSI spec for button head cap screw size 4:

Head diameter .201-.213"

Head overall height .051"-.059"

Head side height (the tiny straight area at the bottom of the curve) .015"

Hexagon socket size 1/16"

Any button head socket screw that does not fall within those dimensions is not being made to ANSI spec.

fyrstormer

Banned
The ones I got were probably within those dimensions, but the "button" was cut too small; there was no room to shave material around the outer edge of the head, and off the top of the head, to produce the flat areas visible in Drywolf's second picture. I don't think the spec you quoted specifies a vertical radius for the head, only an axial radius.

precisionworks

I don't think the spec you quoted specifies a vertical radius for the head, only an axial radius.
The ANSI specs are all linear, not radial. (From Machinery's Handbook 27th Edition, page 1623.)

d3130ea4.jpg

0954f41b.jpg

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
The "slight flat and/or countersink permissible" is the part I was talking about. That's missing on most of the screws from Lunsford, but it's present on all of the screws from Don. It doesn't seem like it's of any real importance until you realize that the flat area represents thicker material surrounding the top of the driver hole, which is the easiest part to strip and therefore needs the most reinforcement. The Lunsford screws are missing that reinforcement and are weaker as a result.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
The only driver that works well on Ti allen heads is the Thorp Hex Driver made by MIP
... they are not forged to a hex shape like every other available driver but rather are ground

Not true. There are others that will work well but not a whole lot. But I agree, a ground & hardened rather than forged is what you want to look for. When it comes to smaller tools, the RC world & watch/jewler's is where to go. I was into RC a long time ago & although I've gotten rid of most of my stuff, all the tools I have kept.

Although maybe not as great as MIP as MIP has been around for a very long time making quality RC products (I used lots of their parts), Dynamite also makes a decent hex driver. Dynamite was failry new as I remember when I was into RC. Only reason I use a Dynamite is because that's what the locals carried & the tips are replaceable which is nice.

With this driver I've been able to loosen even the most stubborn scews on Ti Mcgizmos with sparks as they broke loose. Even screws that were stripped by the owners who swore there would be no way of removing them without cutting a slot in them to use a flat head screw driver.

Img_5528.jpg

Img_5531.jpg

precisionworks

Dynamite also makes a decent hex driver.
Very nice, especially with the replaceable tip.

the flat area represents thicker material surrounding the top of the driver hole, which is the easiest part to strip and therefore needs the most reinforcement.
+1

Most small Allen head cap screws are tender & a 4-40 titanium screw is no exception. But a McG would not be a McG without that special clip.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
a McG would not be a McG without that special clip.

I totally agree! Mcgizmo clips are my favorite, I fell in love with them even on the classic Mclux. I like clips that are really tight for security. One of the best functioning clips on a flashlight!