Tiablo A8 SSC P7 flamethrower

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam shot?:popcorn:

Now I got some indoor shots up. Please remember that it's very difficult to show different intensities in indoor pics. For a noticeable difference in indoor pics it's at least double the brightness. All the lights used are very bright, that messes with the ccd chip in the camera. The NiteCore DI is modded with another driver, but it's the same brightness as the stock version.

simple

Newly Enlightened
Nice beam shots!

Clearly the maglite focuses better than the Tiablo. The bigger, the better. This seems especially true for P7. But too bad the mag's reflector is much shallower so more of the LED's output gets out as spill.

It doesn't surprise me that at longer range the Spear has the brightest hotspot, because the sizes of the spills clearly show that it has the deepest reflector of the three.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots!, Seems like the Mag has a more concentrated hotspot, I wonder how the P7 beam would look in a DBS reflector, or even better in a 2.5" FM throwmaster!

Bordermeister

Newly Enlightened
Hi Stefan,
I love the work you have done with this.

I have an MRV modded to Q5 WC that tends to get left in the drawer as well. After doing this mod do you think the MRV would be a suitable host for this same mod.

Also how long does it take before it warms up.

I was looking at a P7 mod that I could use as an insanely bright bike light, and was wondering if this would work. I may need to get a larger torch to bleed off the heat if it gets too hot.

Thanks
Mark

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I have an MRV modded to Q5 WC that tends to get left in the drawer as well. After doing this mod do you think the MRV would be a suitable host for this same mod.

Also how long does it take before it warms up.

I was looking at a P7 mod that I could use as an insanely bright bike light, and was wondering if this would work. I may need to get a larger torch to bleed off the heat if it gets too hot...

An MRV would be a good host, it has good heatsinking. I don't know about the reflector, but it should work. All you need to do is (probably) open up the reflector emitter hole a bit.

Heat... That's the reason I modded the tailcap switch. It's reasonable to run such a light at 1.6-2A for longer periods. With the lower level I get about 1.8A to the emitter and with a big maybe ~500 Lumen. Going to the full 2.8A is not that noticeable, it's not that apparent to the eyes, but it gets hot much quicker and after 10 minutes you need to hold it tight to get the heat away from it. So I suggest that you use a lower drive level & really good heatsinking.

Stefan

Bordermeister

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again Stefan,
What resistor size and rating would you recommend for the tail switch on an MRV. Would this be the best place or up top were the driver would normally be.

BTW - I did the SSC P4 mod to the Liteflux LF1 and it is a great little light cannon.

I am thinking of doing the same mod to one of the Stainless C3's to see how it performs.

Cheers
Mark

Ganp

Enlightened
As always, excellent mod and photo's Stefan. :twothumbs

I'm itching to finish my current projects so that I can do something with my P7.

Do you have a good source for spare Tiablo reflectors?

Colin.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again Stefan,
What resistor size and rating would you recommend for the tail switch on an MRV. Would this be the best place or up top were the driver would normally be.

BTW - I did the SSC P4 mod to the Liteflux LF1 and it is a great little light cannon.

I am thinking of doing the same mod to one of the Stainless C3's to see how it performs.

Cheers
Mark

The one I used came from the level switch in an old MRV driver I had laying around. As far as I know that one is 0.5 Ohm & at least 1/8 Watt. I use a two level click switch like the ones LumaPower, Regal & Tiablo etc. uses, they hae the resistor mounted like the pics in post 1. I put one of the 14 mm CREE Q5 stars from DX in my stainless C3 along with a better driver, very good results.

As always, excellent mod and photo's Stefan. :twothumbs

I'm itching to finish my current projects so that I can do something with my P7.

Do you have a good source for spare Tiablo reflectors?

Colin.

Thanks, I'm just a happy amateur. I'd really like to have a lathe and some tools for it, then I'd be able to do some fun stuff.
Sorry, no source for Tiablo reflectors, now I'm short on one myself after testing for focus too enthusiastically.
Stefan
--
Edited with the correct resistor value which is .5 Ohm. A stupid typo by me made it 50 Ohm instead of the correct .5!

Last edited:

1 what

Enlightened
Hi Stefan,
I've just seen the beamshots.
Can't wait to see the outdoor ones, they should be really impressive.
At this stage I'm going to have to disagree with your "Flamethrower" label.
It's more like a "Turbo-charged flamethrower". :thumbsup:

Bordermeister

Newly Enlightened
Hi Stefan,
Sorry to take it slightly off topic - I have also modified the Stainless Steel C3 with a 14mm Q5 WC board and that improved it a lot, doesn't get as warm as with the original emitter. Just wanted to try a SSC P4 as I love the tint and it would be a bit floodier I think.

Which driver board did you put in the C3.

Cheers
Mark

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to make the light 'regulated'. Some info and pics about this has been added to post #1. It works great! It's feels strange to try the strobe mode with that kind of output...
Stefan

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this case I get a slightly flatter discharge curve from the 18650 cell. I get the current down to ~2.3-2.4A, that means a longer and cooler runtime on high. I also get low and medium levels since I used a multimode driver. It's a personal preference mainly, the light works well direct driven but I prefer regulation in some form.
Stefan

thom

Enlightened
I decided to make the light 'regulated'. Some info and pics about this has been added to post #1. It works great! It's feels strange to try the strobe mode with that kind of output...
Stefan

LOL my wife strobed me the other day with a 3 cree Q5 mag,:sick: and it hurts....

thom