Tiablo A9 "Throw King" XR-E R2 & "Flood" XM-L U2 Review: ASPHERIC BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Tiablo A9 "Throw King" XR-E R2 & "Flood" XM-L U2 Review: ASPHERIC BEAMSHOTS, RUNT

I appreciate Selfbuild but Tiablo R2 throw king is downgrade from old Q5. Friend I have both and I can not believe your measurements.
Q5 driven at 1A current is better than R2 driven at 1A current.
I am claiming that old Q5 2008 model throws better then newest 2012 model because I have both.
That's quite possible, as there is not a big difference between the Q5 and R2 output bins. Cree binning charts show that the Q5 is rated for 107-113 lumen flux @350mA, while the R2 is rated for 114-121 lumen flux. So while the "average" R2 should be ~7% brighter at this drive level, the reality is that you could be comparing two samples anywhere within this range (i.e. any two Q5-R2 comparisons could be between to 1-13% different).

Of course, the exact position of the LED within the reflector has a huge impact on the beam. It would not be surprising to see no real difference between a given Q5 and R2 model driven to the same level.

That brings up another thing to consider - there is natural variance in how much power any given circuit provides. So while all the lights may be rated at 1A, there is bound to be some natural variation in that number.

When you combine all that together, it is even possible that a given R2 model would throw less well than a given Q5, depending on the sum of all those relative variations. But logic dictates that - all other things being equal - an R2 version is likely to out-throw a Q5 version, on average. The question is whether or not all things are equal (e.g., has the circuit changed providing more or less power, etc.?).

Again, the mistake people make is in assuming that any given comparison holds for all possible comparisons. As always, my measurements are based on n=1 sample of each. But my measurements of my Q5 and newer R2 model are taken at the same time, which at least removes the operator variability.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tiablo A9 "Throw King" XR-E R2 & "Flood" XM-L U2 Review: ASPHERIC BEAMSHOTS, RUNT

There is another possibility to consider. Perhaps the aspheric on your Q5 is better than your R2 Tiablo. Try switching heads and take lux measurements at 10m and calculate back. Tailcap readings may help to resolve the difference. The VF values will also play a part. I have 2 x Dereelight 3SD modules which I had tested in the lab. The Q5 was surprisingly better than my R2. I think it was a complete fluke and highly improbable to occure again.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened

When you combine all that together, it is even possible that a given R2 model would throw less well than a given Q5, depending on the sum of all those relative variations. But logic dictates that - all other things being equal - an R2 version is likely to out-throw a Q5 version, on average. The question is whether or not all things are equal (e.g., has the circuit changed providing more or less power, etc.?).

Again, the mistake people make is in assuming that any given comparison holds for all possible comparisons. As always, my measurements are based on n=1 sample of each. But my measurements of my Q5 and newer R2 model are taken at the same time, which at least removes the operator variability.

And we have to mention lenses difference... So probably you received top A+ grade flashlight from Tiablo quality control center while mine is B-.

But the point is that no big improvement in 2012 model that would be worth buying it...

People( especially owners of old Q5 like me) who expected more throw from newest model will be very disappointing with the fact that it throws equal, less or just slightly more than older brother Q5(depend on lottery with aspheric lenses and emitter)...

This is light that had good potential but Tiablo developing crew stopped improving it. They live on old glory and they just added R2 emitter and "Throw King" title hopping that they will squeeze last drop of lemon juice from Tiablo A9.