TigerLight Gold Review - FLR.com

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
finally they sent you one! Thanks for the review. I was curious to see how it compared to your other lights on the chart and it looks like it throws as well as the Surefire 10x dominator but has half the output. Is this correct if you actualy compare the two side by side?

Also, have you shy'd away from using the LUX converted number as distance in meters?

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
What?!? No pepper spray review? The review is not complete! C'mon Doug, take one for the team! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OK, for those who wonder about OC Oleoresin Capsicum--Pepper Spray, it is seriously unpleasant. It has two major effects. One, it will sting the eyes like crazy. It sometimes seems that one eye takes it worse than the other, and shuts tight, while the other may or may not close. Second, it causes breathing irritation resulting in coughing and sputtering. For people who have never experienced this sensation, it can create a bit of panic. Pepper spray also causes the skin to sting like a bad sunburn but this is not really an incapacitating effect.

I have received a 1 second shot of pepper spray in training, and was able to see out of one eye and fight through the effects against a fellow officer playing the adversary. Most people are affected worse.

Recently, I faced down three uncooperative arrest subjects without backup. Knowing I could only realistically take on one, I pulled out the pepper spray and ordered my target to stop. He suddenly charged at me and I sprayed him. It stopped him in his tracks and appeared to close one of his eyes. There was some blowback that stung my eyes and had me coughing a bit, but I was sure he got it worse. He continued to passively resist but I was able to arrest him without a fight.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have the FBOP (prison version, without OC) myself, so I could not test that even if I wanted to, and I do not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened
I would like to see a comparision of the Tigerlight compared to a Surefire M3 with the 225 Lumen M11 bulb. Which one would have the most output? Which would have the most throw?....william

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam,

Thanks very much for this fine review. I wonder about the 45 minutes to 50 percent brightness result, however, as my stock TL's get a full hour or slightly more before falling to that level. It's possible that your battery was defective, which is something that TL will fix free of charge.

Also, if you are interested, at some point I can send you a Tiger11 mod kit to try out. This will bring the Tiger from 275 to 520 lumens, and still run for 27-29 minutes, as well as allow for the use of orange peel reflectors.

Send me a PM or post here if you are interested. Also, if you have returned the TL already, I can send you the whole deal.

Also, you could wait a bit and review the 2nd Gen Tiger11. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you all liked the review!

[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
Also, have you shy'd away from using the LUX converted number as distance in meters?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really confused by this question - sorry. If you take the "Comparison Chart" number of lux at the end of the review, that is the number of meters away that a target would be lit with 1 Lux. Just a quirk of the calculation that it works out that way. Is that what you meant?

The 10X has much more overall output.

No pepper spray in the box, but I'm getting some! And no, I won't be testing it on myself! I also received some blowback by accident while emptying an "expired" 2 oz canister of Fox. "Expired" my butt! It was very unpleasant.

Craig, I really appreciate your volunteering to complete some of the requested comparisons - I mean it, not being a wise-butt. I just can't keep up with all the posts/requests/reviews/and full time job all at once.

However, I do have an M3 with the high output bulb. I did not do a formal test on the high output bulb, but I can. Give me a couple of days and I'll update the M3 review with the additional numbers. I can't get to the meters right now - completing a runtime test.

JS - are you positive about that runtime? Eyes can be deceiving, hence why I only rely on metered readings...

JS (again) - send me an e-mail about the upgrade kit with info about it, etc. Upstate NY, eh? My old stomping grounds!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam,

No, I'm not sure, but you're graph shows the TL going to zero percent output at less than 1 hour. What I can tell you is that the TL stock pack will drive the stock LA for 66 minutes, give or take a few minutes, before hitting 5.0 volts, which equates to just about .8v/cell. This would be down to 25 percent, and not 50, but still, that's more than zero, isn't it?

As for information on my upgrades, check out The TigerLight Upgrades offerings (summary) thread. Let me know if you're interested.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Quickbeam: First, thanks again for all the selfless work you do (and craig on his site too) for everyone online who is interested in getting a flashlight. Your details are very good even if I like the Nuwai headlamp instead of the EOS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I digress.

By "shy'd away from" I meant that I wasn't able to find that sentence on your website where you mentioned, that by coincidence the inverse calculations happen to equal the distance in meters to 1 LUX.

Your reply is exactly what I meant but I am willing to bet that I get more than 1 LUX at the 144m That is what is confusing me. I bet if I stand 144 meters (or whatever reading I get) for the house down the street I will have more than a 1-LUX reading because it looks like it lights up the whole house. I can try to test during the next dark moonlit night by taking a reading by LUX meter with the Tigerlight off and comparing to on. There are no streetlights in my neighborhood. So, if I get 5 LUX with no flashlight, can we say then, if I get 6 LUX when it's turned on, the calculations would be correct? Maybe lighting up a big portion of the house with 1 LUX really is noticable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Vrt

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Also, if you are interested, at some point I can send you a Tiger11 mod kit to try out. This will bring the Tiger from 275 to 520 lumens, and still run for 27-29 minutes, as well as allow for the use of orange peel reflectors.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can Tiger11 mod be done just by replacing a bulb ?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello CromagNet,

I would be very interested in your results...

I was measuring the full moon the other night and came up with close to 0.2 lux. It was lighting up the houses pretty well. 1 lux may be brighter than you think...

Tom

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vrt,

No.

And even if you could, the Welch Allyn 1111 is a bare lamp, so you have to figure out how to mount or pot it in a reflector.

There is also, the SL 35X LA, which will more or less drop-in to the TL, but the stock pack won't drive it, as it is carefully matched to the stock lamp and is a NiMH pack. NiMH batteries must be specifically designed to be high current capable, and will have less capacity in that case.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cro - Silverfox hit the nail on the head. Full moonlight is about .25 lux. At 144 meters the Tigerlight will illuminate an object with 4 times that amount of light by my calculations. And yes, if you were getting 5 in the background and the tigerlight was illuminating with 1 at the measurement distance, the meter would go up to 6.

JS - Tigerlight said they just grabbed one they had on their "work in progress" shelf and sent it - it was the only one available immediately. It may have had some use, I don't know. Sounds like it did....

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm I think that the wall of photons cast on the house give the impression of more lux but it is really evidence of higher lumens and maybe the impression will turn out to be 1 LUX.

I'll try to do the experiment when I get the opportunity.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once had a pepper spray refill for an ASP Key Defender discharge accidentally when refilling a KD. That stuff is damn nasty, no two ways about it. It has an oily base that spreads everywhere. Some of it will get transferred to everything you touch: the faucets when you try to wash it off, the wash basin anywhere the wash water hits, the towel you use to dry with, and then your family will get exposed to the residue when they try to use any of the above items. Even after you've scrubbed thoroughly, some of the residue will get transferred to your contact lens which you'll greatly regret after placing it in your eye. Your lips and tongue will burn two-days later when you forget and bite a fingernail. You'll be very sorry if you voluntarily or involuntarily take a hit of that stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Oh, and I love my T-light.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've got some practical jokers (no, I'm not one of them) who will run into a crowded training room spraying their "pepper spray" at horrified officers. About the time everybody is running for cover, it turns out that it is a practice can filled with peppermint oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

The less well received trick is to open a pepperball (paintball filled with OC powder) and spread it into a little pile on a table--of course, in a crowded training class. The joker gently blows on the pile. Guys in the forward rows start sniffling, dabbing their eyes, coughing, clearing their throats, sneezing, etc. It takes everybody a few minutes to figure out what just happened. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

symes

Enlightened
M3/M6/10X vs Tigerlight...

I went through this when I first got my FBOP...

I find that the TL outthrows the M3/225 and M6/250, but with a much narrower beam. The M3 is a great flooder for short distance and seems much brighter overall than the TL indoors, but it doesn't have the legs to go far (e.g. over 100-150ft). The M6 with the larger head, seems to carry well, but the intensity of the TL in its hotspot still seems larger. The M6/500 in my opinion, takes a level about the same as the TL, but spreads it out over a huge area making it so awesome as a tactical light.

For someone who tends to use a light in smallish (few minute) bursts, the TL is awesome on the street and the rechargeabilty is awesome. However, I keep an M6/500 in my bag for those "not so nice" houses...

No idea about a 10X, but I suspect it is similar to the M6/500...

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
M3 with HOLA:

10,000 Lux at one meter (100 comparison chart number)
15,000 Overall Output (150.00 comparison chart number)

That was with very slightly used batteries, so it may start out just a touch higher.