Tigerlight in Europe

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know if the sample I brought there actually is the very first that hit that continent. Our host was not impressed. At least not until I activated it. He thought it was a 2D Maglite. He made a beeline for the Surefire 10X, activated it, smiled, and said "very nice, very expensive."

He didn't even look at the Tigerlight after examining the 10X.

I activated the stout light at a couple of very expensive automobiles about three blocks away. Our host said "very nice, another very expensive Surefire Maglite." Ahem. I told my interpreter to tell him how much it costs.

Our host asked to keep it briefly for eval. It was borrowed and was not mine to give but I'll be damned if I was gonna let that cause international strife. When we said our goodbyes to our host, my intepreter said that he ordered several dozen Tigelights. He didn't like the gold ring, though.

agent8698

Newly Enlightened
I still don't understand why it is apparently impossible to ship a TigerLight to Europe, or to Australia. Somebody said that there might be a problem with the NiMH batteries. So what does that mean, are those kinds of batteries a forbidden item in Europe? Is there a law that says: if you're in Europe, you can't have NiMH batteries? Or if that's not the reason, then what is the reason? Nobody here is asking that question, because everybody has the secret knowledge, except me. Max

GeoffChan

Enlightened
this is what Australia Post says about batteries:

"Standard sized batteries - Must be removed from the article being sent, wrapped individually (if not in original package) and have no points touching each other."

I'm not sure if the chargers are able to work down here either. I'll find out tommmorow.

Geoff

Size15's

Flashaholic
Max,

I think the same trouble is shipping the battery or something.
When it comes down to it, I need to know more then you because I want one and I live here, and they (TigerLight) aren't sending it.

As soon as I know what's what. CPF will know what's what. Unless someone beats me to it of course.

Al

agent8698

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Size15s:

I think the same trouble is shipping the battery or something.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is it that if you run the thing through a postal x-ray machine, the battery might look like a bomb? If that's the concern, or some similar security-related concern, then I could at least begin to understand what the problem is. Or I wonder if it's environmental: maybe U.S.-made NiMH batteries are made to a different spec, that does not meet European specs, as far as toxicity? Max

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Geoff - goto Jaycar and get a stepdown converter + plug adapter and it should get the US 110V charger to fit in Aussie household plug.

And where did ya find out about the individually wrapped batteries from? I was told they flat out reject sending of batteries of any kind..
frown.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think it's amount of chemicals in the large battery (or lots of cell in the same box) not allowed to be airtransported without a permitt. Nothing to do with not being allowed to have them over here. Technically speaking, I think the same applied to Lithium SF123As.

Al

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was told by one dealer that they're not allowed to ship TL overseas. Another dealer simply quote me $95 for shipping to Hong Kong!

I'm not sure about the NiMH battery issue. I just ordered a light a few days ago from Germany that use Lithium Ion Rechargeable and no one complained about it.

Alan

Size15's

Flashaholic
I flew this one time. Someone freaked that I had 200 SF123As in my suitcase.
icon3.gif

Most of those were used and just kicking about in the case. I didn't have any problems by security or anything. It was only once I got back that someone mentioned it.

On another note, a friend carried in her handluggage one of the three pot plants that aren't allowed in the UK from mainland Europe. She walked through UK customs with it in her hand and they didn't even blink. Well that's what I was told anyway.

It strikes me as perverse that certain things can be such a fuss and a trouble whilst other things are so obviously dangerous yet ignored or whatever. It's just a damn flashlight. I'm not trying to export GenIII+ NVG or anything!

Al
rolleyes.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Since the Tigerlight is best known for its OC-dispensing capabilities, the Nimh battery may not be the real problem.

The Tigerlight might in fact be classified as a weapon, and as such would most likely be proscribed. I believe that it has actually been described as a weapon in its promotion or in one of Randy's CPF posts.

Brightnorm

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't think TigerLight would ever consider trying to export OC version. Even empty would have a hard time proving that you didn't have the intention of adding OC to it. Especially when there is a non-OC version.

TigerLight Pro

Newly Enlightened
We do not export the TL because it is classified by as a weapon. SF classified it as 3 weps in one. We are getting close to having our authorization.

agent8698

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by TigerLight Pro:
We do not export the TL because it is classified by as a weapon. SF classified it as 3 weps in one. We are getting close to having our authorization.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">SF = Special Forces? 3 weapons in one? What would that be: pepper spray, impact weapon and blinding light? I noticed when I received my non-pepper-spray TigerLight that none of the accompanying product literature suggested that a non-pepper-spray version exists: the box itself, the manual, and the pamphlet all act as if the only version that exists is the pepper-spray version. And where is "Lomgview"? Max

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Randy, does your company make chargers that can use overseas voltage and hertz inputs? I would like to send a Tigerlight to my son whom is deployed at Kosovo and my son-in-law whom is stationed in Germany.

Lexus

Enlightened
So, is there any way I can import a Tigerlight without pepper spray to Germany? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Lexus

Enlightened
Thanks for the fast response! Though the dealer's site says "Coming Soon", so no ordering yet...

Lexus

Enlightened
Yesterday I ordered a Tigerlight, takes a couple of weeks until i can get my greedy hands on it, can't wait to see it in action. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif