• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired TiGlow titanium glowrings *ACCEPTING PAYMENTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvidHiker

Enlightened
Re: TiGlow titanium glowrings *Pre-order open*

B@rt, if at all possible, I would like 2 green with bare tubes.

Also, Pardon me for not reading the whole thread, are these shock proof? Planning on keychain use for both....

:thanks:

I meant to post regarding this sooner, but (from experience) I believe there still exists significant potential for breakage - especially when on a keychain. This is not to suggest that Bart has not done his best to cushion the vials, I think that he has. The only further protection that's possible is total encapsulation.

So, briefly, my TiGlow endured about a month of frequent keychain carry. One day I dropped my keys in the grass and that was it - trit busted. Not sure how it broke, but the most likely cause I suppose would be something on my keychain striking a portion of the exposed tube. Bart was kind enough to supply me with a replacement tube so that I could attempt to reassemble the TiGlow myself, this time using Norland 61 as an encapsulent (luckily, I had plenty of this stuff nearing the expiration date). This worked very well, and I plan to post my procedure soon (will put a link here in this thread as well).

Basically, I first cleared out the Ti casing, enlarging the ID slightly. Then, I forced the entire casing into a tightly fitted silicone tube (acted as a mold, preventing the adhesive from leaking out of the many holes and messing up the nice bare Ti outer surface). Filled the casing with NOA 61 (I used a needle and syringe to fill from the bottom, so no bubbles), then carefully pushed in the vial. Placed it in the sun for about 2 hours and everything was pretty thoroughly cured (silicone transmits enough UV apparently, but curing was definitely quite a bit slower than normal). The tubing was easy to remove at this point by slicing lengthwise with a razor (NOA 61 does not appear to stick to silicone). I then cooked it in the sun for another hour for good measure, and aged it 12 hours at 50°C (seems to develop a bit more hardness this way). I've now had it on my keychain for a few weeks - no issues. I'd be very suprised if I manage to break it again!

FYI, for any who might be interested in doing this themselves, you will need to ask Bart not to seal the top of your TiGlow with epoxy (I presume he would be willing to do this by request as he has given me permission to post my procedure - thanks Bart!). I'd say removing the epoxy plug from an assembled TiGlow is possible, but clearly very risky, and encapsulating without making a mess of things is definitely easiest starting with everything disassembled. I'll try to get some more detailed info posted ASAP - love the TiGlow!

B@rt

Flashaholic
Re: TiGlow titanium glowrings *All spoken for*

Nice writeup! :thumbsup:

I think that wil definately help. :) (I do hope of course the Tiglows will survive on their own... ;) ) Other than using a thin vinyl (I think?:shrug: ) sleeve for the vial I don't think it could be safer. I would have to find the sleeve material first though... :candle:

X_Marine

Enlightened

Bare and unsealed for me please, I plan to polish and have plated TiN before assembling. Please include your neoprene plugs so I can follow your lead.

I thought I might grab another for a gift but looks like to late, ah np.

Also Reg mail please and remember my 20G. ')

Looking good Bart.. any new blisters?. :eek:
Hope not.
X/BillyD..

Isak Hawk

Enlightened

Very cool AvidHiker! :twothumbs I'm looking forward to seeing your procedure.

I have a couple of questions,

Is enlarging the ID a necessity? That sounds like something I would need special tools to do. I don't have a lathe (and wouldn't know how to use one even if I did); I don't even have a dremel :p

How tightly does the tritium vial fit in the Ti case? Is it tight enough that I could fill and cure the holes one row at a time without the NOA61 spilling out of the other rows? I'm asking in case I can't find silicon tubing in the size needed.

AvidHiker

Enlightened

I found that the new tube was a pretty tight fit, but there may have been some residual epoxy causing me problems. I wanted a bit more space anyway so that there was ample room for the adhesive to flow past the vial's OD as I slid it in. Dremel makes a 3.98 mm cylindrical grinding stone for sharpening chainsaw blades which I used to bore out the case a tad (didn't even use a dremel, any electric drill should suffice). This worked well, but was slow, as you would expect. I probably ground it for 5 minutes on and off (fairly slow speed) before I was happy with the fit (very slightly loose, no resistance to insertion).

As for the assembled TiGlow, as far as I could tell, there were some significant gaps here and there between the vial and case. It looked like it would be a real mess trying to fill each hole, but I didn't actually try it. Anyway, unfortunately, I can almost guarantee that will not work.

As for the tubing, that's a bit of a hitch. Since I work in a lab, we have all sorts of tubing laying around for our peristaltic pumps. I chose one with a thick wall (so it gave good tension) and a very tight fit - about 4.8 mm ID (OD of the case is about 6.2 mm). Here is the actual tubing:
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9641015

This stuff is precision extruded silicone which results in a pretty smooth bore. It's actually on the cheap end of the spectrum, higher grades are available with ultra smooth bores (pharma grade). This tubing did leave a slight texture behind, but it doesn't seem to affect transparency much (if at all). I'm actually almost out of this tubing, so if enough people express interest, maybe we could all chip in and buy a box. It might also be reusable, I didn't try to remove it by sliding it off. If I can locate extra, I might be able to help at least a few folks out - I'll see what I can turn up.

cnjl3

Enlightened

Bart, I would like both of mine bare and unsealed w/neoprene plugs in case they are needed because at $75 a pop I am thinking a little extra protection wouldnt hurt.

So, briefly, my TiGlow endured about a month of frequent keychain carry. One day I dropped my keys in the grass and that was it - trit busted. Not sure how it broke, but the most likely cause I suppose would be something on my keychain striking a portion of the exposed tube.

AvidHiker - I will need enough tubing for two glowrings so I guess put me down as interested:)

AvidHiker

Enlightened
:paypal:

btw - I should have my Norland 61 procedure posted by tonight (hopefully!). As for the silicone tubing, I believe I can be of assistance should anyone be interested. So long as interest is fairly limited, I don't think I'll need to collect any payment - this will be payback to the community.:)

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
I'd like mine unsealed if possible, with the plugs like cnjl3.

AvidHiker, I'm also interested in the silicone tubing :) (I'll need enough for 6)

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal:

btw - I should have my Norland 61 procedure posted by tonight (hopefully!). As for the silicone tubing, I believe I can be of assistance should anyone be interested. So long as interest is fairly limited, I don't think I'll need to collect any payment - this will be payback to the community.:)

Here's a photo of a smaller Ti glowring I have iwhich I filled up the holes with Norland 61 using scotchtape to mask some time ago. It took ages, was a bit messy as there were bubbles and I had to them do row by row. :green:

medium.jpg
small.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.