Time for a new batt stick in the magcharger help!

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since joining you lunatic's here i know there are some "option's" and opinion's to be had. I will lay out what i want and don't to make it simple and not too
over the top /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

I want to run the stock lamp and my 1160 on rare occasion's.

Must work in the stock charger.

Stock is a nicad,(says energizer) what would the plus's and minus's be to going with NimH? AND will nimh's work in my charger?

Nothing too pricy, stock stick is bad enough, but willing to get something better and longer running for a few $$ more.

OK, help me brother's! VDG

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Re: Time for a new batt stick in the ol\' magcharge

Voodoo
If you're interested, I think 3rd shift might be interested in buying your magcharger??? If it needs new batteries, you could turn a cash drain into a cash surplus. Just a thought.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

? ? ?
True.
I might be interested in the old magcharger. $$
I'm wanting to try out a few multiled mods with one.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nope. It's a great light, my first good light matter of fact,
and being rechargeable how do you see it as a cash drain?
I have in 15yr's, put only two stick's and three bulb's in it.
That sound's like a pretty good return on an investment! how do you see that as a money pit? VDG

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,

Hmmm... I guess I'm not very articulate. What I meant to say is that instead of using cash to buy a new stick for it, you could sell and use the cash to partially fund a new and different kind of light if you wanted to. Ain't no big deal. I saw 3rd shift was looking for one and thought ...hey.
Let's just pretend I kept my big mouth shut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

No problem. I just like my old mag the way it is! (in fact other's must too, see a lot of post's and Q's on the MC)

Well, back to it, anyone got a good idea on the batt stick? VDG

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Time for a new batt stick in the magcharger he

User Ginseng may have some great news for you if you drop him a pm.
He *might* do another gb on aeronimh batterysticks for the magcharger.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
3rd_shift said:
User Ginseng may have some great news for you if you drop him a pm.
He *might* do another gb on aeronimh batterysticks for the magcharger.

[/ QUOTE ]

will do. But one question,, will it not hurt the stock lamp? I thought aeronimh was for a super bright incan mag 85, etc.? VDG

Luna

Enlightened

I don't know if the newer MagCharger sticks have changed in chemistry or not, but the one I have out drives an 1160 when compared to an UltraStinger and the SubC Nimh.

The MC stick off the the charger shows 6.4volts(no load) and the welded US SubC NIMH stick is 6.9-7.2volts(no load).

It is kinda impressive how it performs compared to the high current RC cells. Like an idiot, I tested the current on a 20amp tester. Well, the SubC was around 19-20amps and the MC stick popped thefuse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifpps

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Luna said:
I don't know if the newer MagCharger sticks have changed in chemistry or not, but the one I have out drives an 1160 when compared to an UltraStinger and the SubC Nimh.

The MC stick off the the charger shows 6.4volts(no load) and the welded US SubC NIMH stick is 6.9-7.2volts(no load).

It is kinda impressive how it performs compared to the high current RC cells. Like an idiot, I tested the current on a 20amp tester. Well, the SubC was around 19-20amps and the MC stick popped thefuse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifpps

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok out drive's as in overdriven? did it seem terribly warm or anything? VDG

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi VDG,

Been watching this thread. I have done a couple of battery stick and cell GBs in the past but just don't have the time do do so right now. My advice is to see if someone will start a GB with the Powerstream 3.8Ah 1/2Ds. The price is comparable to the Aero and you might not have to pay an extra $60 in duties like I did. But then again, those cells will be drop-shipped from China too so maybe you will.

Neither the stock MC or US sticks could be considered high current. The fact that you're only getting 6.4V or 1.28V per cell suggests a) the stick is not fully charged or b) it's not perfectly healthy. A true HC 1/2D nimh will give you far longer runtime and better brightness due to the maintenance of higher voltage. It's totally suitable for the stock bulb or the WA01160.

I go with HC NIMH in all my rechargeables, 3.5Ah or 4.0Ah 1/2D in the MagCharger and 3.7Ah sub-C in the Ultrastinger. The US's performance improves the most dramatically given the stock bulb. Higher brightness and over double the runtime. Very, very impressive and useful.

Best of luck to you in your searches.

Wilkey

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Hi VDG,

Been watching this thread. I have done a couple of battery stick and cell GBs in the past but just don't have the time do do so right now. My advice is to see if someone will start a GB with the Powerstream 3.8Ah 1/2Ds. The price is comparable to the Aero and you might not have to pay an extra $60 in duties like I did. But then again, those cells will be drop-shipped from China too so maybe you will.

Neither the stock MC or US sticks could be considered high current. The fact that you're only getting 6.4V or 1.28V per cell suggests a) the stick is not fully charged or b) it's not perfectly healthy. A true HC 1/2D nimh will give you far longer runtime and better brightness due to the maintenance of higher voltage. It's totally suitable for the stock bulb or the WA01160.

I go with HC NIMH in all my rechargeables, 3.5Ah or 4.0Ah 1/2D in the MagCharger and 3.7Ah sub-C in the Ultrastinger. The US's performance improves the most dramatically given the stock bulb. Higher brightness and over double the runtime. Very, very impressive and useful.

Best of luck to you in your searches.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks gin, that is good info and help's a lot.
So if i have a stick made up in the meantime, with half D's
nimh, should i just get as high a current 1/2 D's from say batt station, battspace, batteries plus? and those will charge in my stock MC cradle? (sorry that was long winded!)

Or short and sweet, what would you recommend to make the best ready available(and Mah rating) nimh stick possible for now? VDG

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi VDG,

The approach is simple, buy 3.5-4.0Ah 1/2D where you can find them, stick them in your light and charge away. The practical problem is good 1/2D are rare. I haven't done a lot of looking but I have only used cells from PowerStream and AeroNIMH. If you can locate some, I'd be glad to take a look at the specs to see if they're suitable.

Wilkey

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Hi VDG,

The approach is simple, buy 3.5-4.0Ah 1/2D where you can find them, stick them in your light and charge away. The practical problem is good 1/2D are rare. I haven't done a lot of looking but I have only used cells from PowerStream and AeroNIMH. If you can locate some, I'd be glad to take a look at the specs to see if they're suitable.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks ginseng. I will start looking a round now for some 3.5 or 4.0 MaH 1/2D nimh's.

Anything i should be aware or avoid? VDG

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

No,

Not really. Well, try to get flat top units without solder tabs. In this case, you can stack them loose in your light without having to assemble them into a stick.

Wilkey

wicked1

Newly Enlightened

If anyone finds any 4mah 1/2Ds let me know as well I have been looking for days to go in a 5D mag85 mod for more runtime. All I have found for the 1/2Ds are the 2200 or 2400 mah types. Even they should outperform the 9 AA since they shouldnt sag as much due to current capability correct?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man guy's, thanks! two good place's and one with the hot cell's everyone likes! very cool thanks!

do i want industrial fast rate or the consumer? and do i
go button or not? they will never come out so that's that but I don't know if it's more bullitt proof to have a stick instead of loose?

In a quick reader's digest version, could someone, give me the pro's and con's of both nimh, and nicad. I keep it in the charger most of the time or out for about 2 days. if that help's or hurt's, i also usually let it run pretty far down
before charging just because the very old instruction's said to do so.

Also hat can i expect from from the aero's? better runtime?
any brighter? quicker charging? etc. VDG