Time for a new batt stick in the magcharger help!

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Time for a new batt stick in the magcharger he

both are cool site's btw. I hate this Place! i know find thing's
that were painfully boring in the past, interesting enjoyable.

Curse you all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif VDG

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

VDG,

1. If you want to run a superbulb, or even if you use regular bulbs, high current or high rate (of charge/discharge) cells will give you better performance, primarily through higher voltage.

2. If you use button tops, the stack will be longer thant the stock stick and thus result in potentially high spring pressure. This can cause cells to dimple and potentially, rarely result in internal damage.

3. A stick is always the more secure solution. A production stick has resistance-welded tabs and is very, very hard to break contact. A custom-made soldered stick can also be very robust.

4. With the right charger, either NIMH or nicad will give you decent medium term on-charger performance and reliability.

5. With a fixed rate dumb trickle charger, your charge rate will vary linearly with the capacity. Use a cell of double capacity, charging will take twice as long, roughly. On the flip side, runtime will also vary linearly. Twice the cap, twice the runtime. Brighter? A little bit, measureable but not alwasy visible dependign on the conditions.

Wilkey

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

So go with aero high rate FT's, and shrink wrap it into a stick, then have a welder put the top button on. sound right? (there is a thread i am sure on this on building a stick, plus i can follow the lead of the old stick)

Thanks Ginseng and other's for all your help. I look forward to doing this. VDG

Newly Enlightened

Voodoo,
I was recently in a similar situation. My batt stick crapped out after over 6 years of heavy use. My requirements were that it had to look stock and charge in the stock cradle. I replaced it with a premade stick from batterystation.com. It's listed in there as "specifically made for the magcharger" or something like that. It's a 3500 mah NIMH. I couldn't find any 4000 MAH sticks already made and wasn't going to try for the first time to solder or weld my own stick on something I need to rely on. (Now maybe with some other projects this site got me interested in). Anyway it works great. I've only had it through one recharge cycle but runs the 1160 bulb longer than the old battery ran the stock bulb. I have no specific times as I don't really keep track. I did run it steadly, with the 1160 bulb, for about 20-30 minutes continusly without any damage to the lens or reflector if you care. It charges in the stock cradle fine. I will never have it in there for more than 16 hours. I think a few days or more will start to degrade the batt.
So in short build yourself a 4000 MAH batt like someone suggested. It will work and run a long time. But if you can't or don't want to build one they is a premade stick out there. $36 with shipping.