Tips for corroded batts in flashlights?

CQB

Enlightened
my buddy discovered the batts in his 3D mag had corroded. He managed to get the batts out though - involved a lot of banging & thumping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

he asked me if there was anything else he should do to care for his flashlight... anything he can use to clean the inside better, etc.

for once, I actually am at a loss for words. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

any advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA & be safe,
CQB

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have never tried this but perhaps diluted vinegar can help on alkaline battery corrosion, that and steel wool on a screwdriver.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Baking soda and water works magic. I use them to clean the electrodes of my car battery all the time.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Baking soda neutralizes the sulfuric acid in lead acid cells but does little for alkaline cells which are not acidic.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually use aluminum cleaner and wire brushes to clean out old lights. However, if you have a Mag or newer light without any sentimental value, call up the battery company and they'll replace you're light for free.

Techmedic

Enlightened
Tape some medium (100 to 150 grit) sandpaper to a wooden broomhandle and sand the rough spots out. Wash thoroughly with running water and allow to dry with both ends off for at least two days in the house. Re-grease o-rings and re-assemble with fresh batteries. Put a sticker on the outside of the light dated six months later to check the batteries.
Create a list of lights and when the batteries need to be checked, best every 6 months. Never leave batteries in lights that are past the manufacturers expiry date unless you don't care about the light, e.g. plastic 2D beaters.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mag can be completely disassembled fairly easily to clean the contacts at the switch end and more easily clean the inside of the tube.

Off the top of my head- you pull out the rubber piece over the switch, push the switch button down as if to turn it on, use an allen wrench through the center of the switch button to loosen the lock screw, then slide the switch out the front. Older mags have lock rings at the front end that have to be removed with pliers/screwdriver.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bjn70 said:
The mag can be completely disassembled fairly easily to clean the contacts at the switch end and more easily clean the inside of the tube.

Off the top of my head- you pull out the rubber piece over the switch, push the switch button down as if to turn it on, use an allen wrench through the center of the switch button to loosen the lock screw, then slide the switch out the front. Older mags have lock rings at the front end that have to be removed with pliers/screwdriver.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pictures and diagrams:

http://rivergum.net/page/48

http://www.orderoutdoors.com/msr_2.html

cy

Flashaholic
seems the most common intermitten problems on ARC AAA are caused by leaking AAA cells.

AAA cells leak seems to leak more than any other size. doesn't take much to cause problems. corrosion can be almost invisible.

I've taken to scraping off corrosion. sure would like to set up a small bead blaster to get completely clean.

CQB

Enlightened
thanks for all the tips guys/gals! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I havnet had time to check on this thread till now. My buddy will be very happy I nwo have something to tell him if & when this happens again...

CQB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif