Tires

I've got Vredestein Quatrac tires on my Forester. Great in cold, wet or snowy conditions. 32psi. I'd air them down in snow, potentially. Yes, I'd buy them again. They're essentially perfect PNW year-round tires. I have no idea how they perform in heat as I don't test my car that way, even though it's boosted.

On my F250 I'm running Sailun Terramax tires and they are fantastic. Great on wet, cold pavement though unlike the Quatrac's they do not carry a three-peak symbol on the sidewall. They are not a rated winter tire but for my uses the performance on slick snow and deep snow is adequate aired down to 20psi on a 6200lb truck. They are Chinese made, which I'm not a fan of, but credit where it's due. They're inexpensive, wear well and are a great road tire. I also had a set of these on a 2003 Acura MDX, same quality performance. I'd absolutely buy them again and recommend them without reservation aside from the aforementioned country of origin. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

The Vredestein I would drive on. I wouldn't touch the Sailun with a 1972 pinto. They may be a bit cheaper, but not where I want to save my money.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had a tire gone to leaking on my work truck. About twice a month it needed 5 pounds. Then once a week, then twice a week. The twice a week went to 6 pounds every other day. I pass by a gas station with no charge air so it's no biggy and actually helped stretch my back each morning. Tire stores nearby have week long waits to get in.

This morning the gas station air pump was broken. I needed 8 pounds. I put it in using my 12 volt pump but decided it's time to solve the problem. Turns out this place near my work called Express Lube also fixes tires. "Hey dude can you fix my leak?" He says "sure pull into the bay". It turned out one of my plugs was beginning to fail. The 60k mile Goodyears had 56k on them. Oh they would have easily gone another 20k miles.

I said "let's put on a pair so they'll match". He asked "how many plugs do you have?" I said "which tire?" He says "you mean you have more than one tire plugged?" I said "awe yeah, all four have plugs". He said "how many? I laughed and said "oh I dunno 10? 15?" He said I'll be right back.

He comes back and says the maintenance company for my truck has authorized a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. An hour later I had the nicest set of tires I've ever had on a work vehicle. Those things ride like car tires. I left the place and drove to an interstate, then drove on that for 50 miles to set the belts. Don't know if you even need to do that these days but that sure was a smooth, quiet ride. They aint cheap but my goodness that's a nice set of beefy tread tires with a 70k mile warranty.

87D2BB16-8BAC-4886-BA9F-9C42F234F7E2.jpeg

boo5ted

Enlightened
I had a tire gone to leaking on my work truck. About twice a month it needed 5 pounds. Then once a week, then twice a week. The twice a week went to 6 pounds every other day. I pass by a gas station with no charge air so it's no biggy and actually helped stretch my back each morning. Tire stores nearby have week long waits to get in.

This morning the gas station air pump was broken. I needed 8 pounds. I put it in using my 12 volt pump but decided it's time to solve the problem. Turns out this place near my work called Express Lube also fixes tires. "Hey dude can you fix my leak?" He says "sure pull into the bay". It turned out one of my plugs was beginning to fail. The 60k mile Goodyears had 56k on them. Oh they would have easily gone another 20k miles.

I said "let's put on a pair so they'll match". He asked "how many plugs do you have?" I said "which tire?" He says "you mean you have more than one tire plugged?" I said "awe yeah, all four have plugs". He said "how many? I laughed and said "oh I dunno 10? 15?" He said I'll be right back.

He comes back and says the maintenance company for my truck has authorized a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. An hour later I had the nicest set of tires I've ever had on a work vehicle. Those things ride like car tires. I left the place and drove to an interstate, then drove on that for 50 miles to set the belts. Don't know if you even need to do that these days but that sure was a smooth, quiet ride. They aint cheap but my goodness that's a nice set of beefy tread tires with a 70k mile warranty.

View attachment 45165

No need to "set the belts" with tires anymore, the LTX is probably the best tire you can buy currently. With just about anything you'll get what you pay for. Double check with the shop that put them on because the regular Pmetric ones usually have an 80k warranty on them. The LT or E load usually have the 70k. Funny thing I just noticed is they mounted the tires with the full DOT # on the inside. One thing I always tell my guys is to mount them with the full DOT showing unless it's a directional tire. Makes it easier down the road for warranty purposes and so customers can see it easier and know when their tires were actually made.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
No need to "set the belts" with tires anymore, the LTX is probably the best tire you can buy currently. With just about anything you'll get what you pay for. Double check with the shop that put them on because the regular Pmetric ones usually have an 80k warranty on them. The LT or E load usually have the 70k. Funny thing I just noticed is they mounted the tires with the full DOT # on the inside. One thing I always tell my guys is to mount them with the full DOT showing unless it's a directional tire. Makes it easier down the road for warranty purposes and so customers can see it easier and know when their tires were actually made.

I asked them to put the raised white letters on the inside. So they did.

Poppy

Flashaholic
At 258,000 miles I had Michelin X-Tour AS T+H all season tires put on.
80,000 mile warranty.
At 289,000 miles they still look relatively new. I'm sure I'll get 60K, maybe the full 80K out of them.

They are smooth rolling, and quiet.

I think that we put Defenders on my daughter's CX5 SUV.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michelin...

I think that we put Defenders on my daughter's CX5 SUV.
+

The LTX M/S is truly one of the best tires ever produced. Alot has to do with their sidewall.
They are going on my car next.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
It's a great time to be buying tires and one of the other great tires that just came onto my radar a few years back is the Falken Wildpeak A/T.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a good wear out of Nexian Roadian MTXs on my Cherokee, obviously we only need one set of tyres south of the equator, prior to this I was fond of the cost/wear ratio of Motorway remould (Isuzu Trooper).