Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi (XP-G R5) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

mactavish

Newly Enlightened
Wanted to THANK, the thread author "selfbuilt" for another GREAT review, as a long time lurker, now member, you have cost me $$$ with your reviews! :)

Your original review from over 3 years ago, is what led me to buying this model "illuminaTi", still available from "batteryJunction.com", should have it later this week, I believe the bulb has changed and is advertised now as a "135 lumen Cree XP-G Gen2 LED". I simply wanted a more durable finish in a EDC key chain light, with comparable specs to my iTP A3 EOS-upgraded, the aluminum model in black finish. I figured with the almost full body knurling, scratches would be minimal on it's high gloss finish, not crazy about that gloss. I only hope when I get it on the scale, it's not too much more in weight then the iTP. Anyways, keep up the fantastic reviews you do, now that I got the AAA flashlight bug, I may need help in stopping............

I left a message (link below) in another review you posted long a go, and bought the reviewed "iTP A3 EOS", someones asking $150.00 on amazon for the same model I got a week ago for $40.00. Seems they are long "out of print".

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...CS-amp-more!&p=4230892&viewfull=1#post4230892

mactavish

Newly Enlightened
Well, just received my illuminaTi. Compared to my "black aluminum" iiTP A3 EOS-upgraded, I'd say by "eye", the output appears the same, all these lumen outputs are somewhat unstandardized as you already know. So 96 for the iTP, 130 for the illuminaTi, NO real world difference. I may have to buy a Fenix LD01 advertised at 72 lumens just to compare! I already own 3 Fenix mini lights, and am told they are a bit more honest in terms of output, too bad there is no real light output measurement. In the film biz, you use foot candles, simple, you set your light meter for a film/video stock ISO rating, a shutter speed exp. 1/60th of a second, and measure at the same distance (beam spread would have to accounted for in flashlights obviously). You can then do a real world comparison of "output".

It can "tail stand", a small advantage in some cases.

As far as the Titanium finish, this version with all the "knurling" will never really show any scratches, and the main reason I sought it out, my black aluminum iTP, would get messed up eventually as my keychain carry. The "Maratac" GLOSSY stainless steel version would probably be the other choice, though they, as of this post, have not updated the LED. Weight wise, I'll bet they are close. The aluminum WINS in all weight measurements, but at these TINY sizes, you would be hard pressed to know the difference blind folded in your hand! (I'm listing my weight findings below).

The biggest MINUS, is the Titanium thread "galling", that I read about before buying this light. I bought some Nyogel with this purchase, but so far it has not helped. I'll continue to try and clean and lube and work it in, but so far I don't have much faith that it will ever improve to match the smooth ONE HAND functionality of the iTP. So far there is NO way to operate this Titanium model with ONE hand, the head is limited by the drag of the threads. Without the battery in the light, it's certainly better as the battery does not push on the spring and thus the LED head, but you don't get much output without the battery installed!

I'm going to carry it on my keychain and see how it goes. Here are my weight results:

AAA Flashlight Weights - in GRAMS (Triton T2 Scale +/- 0.2

AAA Batteries:

ENERGIZER ALKALINES - 11.9
ENERGIZER LITHIUM ULTIMATES - 7.5
ENELOOP - 11.6

Flashlights (with CLIP & Tiny O-Ring - NO CHAIN):

iTP A3 EOS = 11.5 (total with Eneloop = 23.1)
IlluminaTi CA1-TI = 17.2 (total with Energizer Lithium = 24.8)

CLIP ALONE = 1.3

tarrow

Newly Enlightened
thnx vali but i did just that for three days running. did it till my fingers hurt, probably a couple hours total. made no difference at all.

having read every thread and review i could find about the IlluminaTi, my guess is the majority of owners found this to be a problem to some degree. a few, like Buckley, lucked out getting a smooth one. knowing that it's possible to get smooth titanium threads, that's the one improvement that the manufacturer should do. i am hopeful this happens. :twothumbs

Put a tiny bit of jewelers rouge in vaseline or use toothpaste or a bit of some mild abrasive and screw it on and off a few times and it should polish right up. Then wipe away all the abrasive and lube as usual. It should work much better after that.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a tiny bit of jewelers rouge in vaseline or use toothpaste or a bit of some mild abrasive and screw it on and off a few times and it should polish right up. Then wipe away all the abrasive and lube as usual. It should work much better after that.

Excellent suggestion! Another thing worth trying when you need to smooth the workings of threads is powdered graphite. In fact, it might be a good thing to add after using jeweler's rouge if the problem still persists to some degree. Powdered graphite comes in a small tube and is available in any good hardware store.

7K4zW27.jpg

Latest posts