Titanium McGizmo mini-clips..........

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I will be adding some images and contents to it in the next couple days.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

Living over here in what I consider to be paradise, I am visually confronted with beauty of all kinds, on a daily basis, and I prefer to use it as a back drop where applicable, for images I might take. I hope you can appreciate the images as well and show some respect and possibly restraint if necessary, in your comments. This issue has come up before and I believe you will understand why I bring it up now.

As I mentioned, the Ti 20 clip seems to work quite well with the Sapphire light and it may well have similar viability with some other lights. You do need to confirm that any possibility of unwanted capsizing of the gate is unlikely. I have attempted to get the clip to fail in its attachment directly to the Sapphire but this has been with the clip and light free to move outside of any physical restraints. Inside a pocket on a key ring for instance might be a different story.

DSC_1952.jpg

DSC_1983.jpg

In the images above, the Ti-20 is installed on the 15 mm Ti split ring which slides easily on the titanium chain. The light can easily be removed and reattached to the clip should it be needed elsewhere.

The Ti-20 will also mount on the larger 32 mm Ti split ring and this is one possible method of key ring carry if you want easy removal of the light and nothing else on the light when it is removed. In other cases, you may wish to have a clip attached to the light at all times.

DSC_1968.jpg

In the images above, the same light is quickly and easily moved from neck chain to key ring. I don't have the need or application over here but I can imagine attaching a Ti-20 to a zipper pull on a jacket or parka to serve as temporary host to the Sapphire.

Now in some other threads which I don't recall their location, there was a fishing lure split ring brought to our attention. On investigation, these split rings were found to be NiTiNOL and worthy of consideration, IMHO. I purchased a few sizes of these and want to pass on my impressions. Also in contrast to the images above, these will be presented in a more typical fashion or should I say lack of any fashion. Your comments and attitudes will dictate future methods of presentation....

First off, these "Smart Links" come in two sizes and I would imagine in most of our applications, only the large size should be considered. Further, the links are marked with possibly paint for visual identification across the various load capacities. The 14-15 lb version I have used and photographed does not have any of this paint on it. The metal does have a blue/purple color to it which I imagine is a result of an oxide film grown in the temperature setting of the form. I have not bothered but suspect that the "anodize" can and will be removed with any abrasive activity but then NiTiNOL is harder than most titanium alloys so the surface may hold up better.

DSC_2037.jpg

DSC_2035.jpg

In the images, the Sapphire sports a Ti-26 clip which I believe is reasonable in relative size to the light and easier to manipulate than the smaller Ti-20 clip.

I'mGatMan!

Newly Enlightened
Don, I think these photos do the best job of any yet in showing us just how small and EDC-friendly the Sapphire is. Great job. :thumbsup:

In regards to the clips, I am thinking a lot about building a permanent soultion to my keychain quandry, and your work in creating viable Ti clip options has provided lots of options. Thanks for that.

Jason

Barefootone

Enlightened
Yeah, I suppose that is one way to view this although I don't believe that was my intent. I'm sorry if I have offended you or anyone else here, for that matter.

Hey Don,

No offense taken here ;). Good pics and accurate commentary on the mechanics of the new Ti 20 clip.
My only problem is I'm jealous of you living in splendid paradise :poke:. Although you do share your paradise with us by sharing your beautiful pics :thanks:. I hope to visit your paradise someday before I die :sigh:.

Don, On another note I'm really enjoying my Haiku :D, great light.

Jeff

jefft

Enlightened
Yeah, I suppose that is one way to view this although I don't believe that was my intent. I'm sorry if I have offended you or anyone else here, for that matter.

Don, absolutely no offense taken, thus the emoticon. I just got back from Kona a few weeks ago and I can still feel myself snorkeling as I daydream. Unfortunately, none of my many lights of yours that I own come with the same stunning backdrop that seem to accompany your local torches.

I'mGatMan!

Newly Enlightened
Don, absolutely no offense taken, thus the emoticon. I just got back from Kona a few weeks ago and I can still feel myself snorkeling as I daydream. Unfortunately, none of my many lights of yours that I own come with the same stunning backdrop that seem to accompany your local torches.

I had one of the most fun experiences of my life in Kona...30 miles on a Zodiac with 350hp engines on 4' swells. Awesome!

And I did see some amazing natural beauty. However, when it comes to the 2-legged type, Miami is pretty unbeatable. ;)

malamalama

Newly Enlightened
The first three pictures show the Sapphire attached to the gate and clip end of the clip as opposed to using a split ring on the solid end of the clip. Not until the 'Smart Link' pictures is the clip attached using the split ring method.

I always assumed that if I were to attach a clip to the Sapphire, I would use a split ring and attach the clip through the solid ring end, thereby making it easier to clip and re-clip the Sapphire to something else.

Don, is there a reason for attaching the clip how you did? Thanks.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The first three pictures show the Sapphire attached to the gate and clip end of the clip as opposed to using a split ring on the solid end of the clip. Not until the 'Smart Link' pictures is the clip attached using the split ring method.

I always assumed that if I were to attach a clip to the Sapphire, I would use a split ring and attach the clip through the solid ring end, thereby making it easier to clip and re-clip the Sapphire to something else.

Don, is there a reason for attaching the clip how you did? Thanks.

There may be justification for keeping the light free of any attached parts or there may not. I wanted to show this option but not imply that it was the best option under any circumstances. Some people like to put the light in their mouth for hands free for instance. Not having anything else on the light might be preferred in such a case.

I wear a Ti neck chain at all times and it now has the 20 mm clip. I can attach a Sapphire to it if I wish or a SunDrop if I want more light. I have one key ring set up as shown and the light is close to the key ring by virtue of no additional split ring. I have another set of keys that has a Sapphire cliped to it along the manner you have describedwith the light sporting a 15 mm split ring with clip on the split ring as well.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I notified the present dealers of the return of the 20 mm clips and I believe some have since then purchased some?!? They are in stock.

Dizos

Newly Enlightened
I notified the present dealers of the return of the 20 mm clips and I believe some have since then purchased some?!? They are in stock.

Awesome. Is it possible to get the old 20mm clips retrofitted with the new gate?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Awesome. Is it possible to get the old 20mm clips retrofitted with the new gate?

The bunk original clips were for the most part screened out of the first lot. I didn't get any spare gates with this new run. Sorry.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I figured I could add an idea and observation related somewhat to this thread topic. :duck:

I have been EDC'ing a Sapphire around the house and at night on my shorts:

Sapphire-Rig.jpg

The key element here that I don't believe has been mentioned in this thread is that of the Dangler.

Dangler.jpg

The dangler is a cool Ti part from Munroedesign.com. I replaced their split ring with a nitinol one from ultimatesmartlink.com because I want the utimate corrosion resistance on all of the components here. I would add that you can squeeze the dangler at the wide loop end to reduce the gap in the clip to the point it is preloaded with compression. This I have done on a few of these because I don't want it coming off my shorts waist band when I am out in the ocean! It is quite secure! I had been using an attachment point of a Ti ring that I stitched to the shorts with a loop of webbing but the dangler provides for a removable and adjustable in location attachment point. I stonewashed the light, split rings and clip in this rig to get an even and dull finish on all parts.

I finally got around to taking some pics (above) because I submitted a "new idea" to the folks at ultimatesmartlink.com today. Actually two ideas. One is that illustrated above but I doubt they will be interested in such a unique and questionable market idea but I wanted to give them a legitimate new use application idea. The main reason I contacted them was in hopes that they would expand their marketing to the fishing industry in the consideration of the fish "that got away". They tout the value in not loosing an expensive lure to a snag but I would hope that considerate anglers would realize that if the fish gets away and gets away with their leader gear, the fish now has a good chance of getting hung up and suffering a slow death by virtue of this extra gear! :(

Case in point is a Spotted Eagle Ray I photographed yesterday:

DSC_4995.jpg

This is a beautiful and large adult that was clearly impeded in its swimming because of the drag. These guys sift through the sand seeking crabs and this leader that does have some metal hardware hidden by algae growth could easily snag on coral and keep the ray from escaping. I have seen numerous turtles sporting fishing leader and loose second hooks and they too are in peril. The idea of a safety link that breaks the rig free is one that is not only important for us but for any living creature!! These animals can survive a hook in many instances but having a tether "trap" attached to that hook just plain sucks!!

By the way, the sapphire rig shown above works great! :eek: