Titanium Rotary 18650 battery compartment interest

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are electronics in the tail. It's not a simple tube.

What about the bare bones tube without electronics installed or the components? Another question on the tails are there any separate metal pieces or is it a tube, solid block that's CNC'd from one end to the other? Not counting the tailcaps?

One could theoretically have the tubes done without the internals then send em in to have the elves called in for duty???

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the bare bones tube without electronics installed or the components? Another question on the tails are there any separate metal pieces or is it a tube, solid block that's CNC'd from one end to the other? Not counting the tailcaps?

One could theoretically have the tubes done without the internals then send em in to have the elves called in for duty???

One would need the drawings and they would have to be totally in spec, though we might be able to work something out. The problem is if you pay for a bunch of expensive tubes, then they come back out of spec... it has the possibility of getting costly.

Also, the tubes are not exactly easy. We have had a hard time A: Getting a machine shop to even agree to do them, and then B: Having the shop actually get them done correctly.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
This is kind of confusing to me. You say you have to shell out money and if they get to you out of spec your out that money?they are giving a purchase order with spec they need to hit. If they are not doing this you are not expected to pay are you? My company deals with many vendors and if spec is not met they have not Fulfilled there end.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a business, we send a PO. We also send our machinists special tool in order to check the tolerances of the items they make for us. We do not pay until the items are shipped to us AND inspected by us.

If an individual were to contact a machinist and want parts made, without the proper check tool, and without the proper drawings (these are far from just tubes with threads on the end), it is doubtful a machinist would even take the project on, and in fact, even with the drawings, we have a hard time getting a machine shop to take on making the tubes.

An individual going into a machine shop may very well have to pay up front. Perhaps not, but this is not simply machining a tube that is involved here any more than a vasectomy is simply a matter of cutting some small tubes. There is quite a bit more involved.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ok well that makes sense. I thought you were saying that you are placing a po to a Machine shop getting parts that did not meet spec and having to pay for them.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
One would need the drawings and they would have to be totally in spec, though we might be able to work something out. The problem is if you pay for a bunch of expensive tubes, then they come back out of spec... it has the possibility of getting costly.

Also, the tubes are not exactly easy. We have had a hard time A: Getting a machine shop to even agree to do them, and then B: Having the shop actually get them done correctly.

For the record I would have to pay for the work up front. I know a machine shop in England that does small runs even involving titanium and does excellent work but the man has his hands in everything even some work for companies in the US

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened
Is there any update on this? I think if the current machine shop has difficulties producing the regular 18650 tubes, there won't be a realistic possibility to get some done in Ti

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
But at the moment I'd be more interested getting a 18650 Ti Battery compartment than one in aluminium :D
Since I have now too much "spare money" since the BeCu HDS is on hold. A good invest could be than a Ti 18650 tube :crackup:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
But at the moment I'd be more interested getting a 18650 Ti Battery compartment than one in aluminium :D
Since I have now too much "spare money" since the BeCu HDS is on hold. A good invest could be than a Ti 18650 tube :crackup:

If anyone is willing to help fund it I can get the specs for the tubes and have a word with England. Not making any promises but they did do an excellent job with those First-Light tubes I had done. Anyone know how much titanium I d have to find or what the length is for 1 complete 18650 tube?

As some of you are aware I ve been quite busy with my own R & D and have made great progress. In addition I may be traveling back over there soon so in reality this "could" be done.

Other thing is it will be much much less expensive if I supply the titanium and that would be the grade 5.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be great usdiver!

Don't get your hopes up it's quite a long shot. I ve just seen the specs so depends on if the machinist understands everything and if he's willing. Then is the money side. Then there's the how many would we want? And how much titanium is needed....

[emoji52]

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several things to consider:
1. You need not just the tube but the tail cap to be machined as well, and all the electronics that go inside. An end user will not be able to put this together. It will have to go to HDS.
2. If you pay to have them machined, and then send to HDS to have those things listed above done, and the tube isn't exactly in spec... how willing is the machinist going to be to do another run so it is in spec especially after they have been paid for? Who sources the titanium for this second or even third attempt? Our machinist is quite good, but even he makes mistakes... that we don't pay for except in lost time.

Quite honestly, I could easily see this ending up costing more than the original titanium HDS light sold for when all is said and done. I'm still talking to our machinist, and MIGHT have some done at the same time as the aluminum 18650 tubes, but they sure won't be cheap no matter what.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Hogo
Yes I considered the above and "think" when he sees the spec he s not going to want any part of it. The Tac ring is certainly doable but with a couple tweaks and the Clicky tailcap is doable... I did say the titanium project was a long shot but I have seen miracles happen....
can't hurt to dream or at least find out