TK40/TK30 fan club

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sooo, I'm about to pull the trigger on a TK30, but I'm wondering...

How do you carry it? I think I can stuff it head first into my inside coat pocket, but that probably won't be too comfortable. I realize this isn't an edc light but what if you're out walking or something and you need to stow it temporarily?

Databyter

Enlightened
Sooo, I'm about to pull the trigger on a TK30, but I'm wondering...

How do you carry it? I think I can stuff it head first into my inside coat pocket, but that probably won't be too comfortable. I realize this isn't an edc light but what if you're out walking or something and you need to stow it temporarily?
It floats quite nicely on a 3 dollar Mag D belt loop such as this google searched one.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/mag-leather-black-belt-holder-for-maglite-d-cell-flashlight.html

The advantage of this loop is that its almost like the lights not there if you put it on your side, it's flexible enough so that it will move to get out of your way in a car or to use the light from the loop without taking it out.

Also It's been a while since I looked but I believe it comes with a shoulder type strap as well, and definitely a lanyard, which I don't use.

I use the light every night and I have to check if it's there sometimes because it feels very light with a D loop on your side. It is much lighter than say a 3 cell Mag, which I also use in the same loop.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the beam of TK30. It's bright and wide which is good for allround purposes. In some cases I find the beam to be too wide, however.
Some night ago I went out to the forest with TA30, TK30, Maglite 2D-Malkoff XP-G and Tiablo A9 aspheric.

I compared the beams at different places. At one place I stood on a bridge and shined out over a small river. Because of the snow banks I didn't stand close to the rail. With TK30 the spill beam shined up the rail and upper part of the snow bank and dazzled, which strongly worsened the seeing over the river. With TA30 it worked better because the narrower beam didn't reached the bridge rail. Also when I walked along a small road in the forest the wide beam shined up the snow at close distance and worsened the sight farer away. Also in this case TA30 was more comfortable when wanted to see at distance.

Therefore a very great accessory to TK30/TK40 would be a head with much narrower beam. This would provide an even brighter spill and not dazzle at short distance when one wants to see far away.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
I have asked in another thread but there are so many posters in this one I hope you don't mind if I ask the same question...

Has anybody found some sort of lid that will snap nicely over the TK40 tail to prevent accidental depression of the clicky? I know I can lock out but I'd still like a tail cap that fits if I can find one. I have a nice head cap already.

I searched for some time trying to identify something you could use. Looked through my whole garage and chemical closet for caps and lids. I really wanted to make a snap on gallon water jug cap fit snugly right over the button, but it just was not meant to be, even from several different brands.

McAllan

Enlightened
The TK40 instruction manual also lists the 15 minute turbo mode time limit. I've used mine for about 30 to 45 minutes in about 40*F night time winter weather and it was fine. I read a report here from someone that had his TK40 turn on by accident in his backpack when he was out hiking and it was on for about an hour without any problems.

I joined the TK40 club a week ago :hitit:

Of course before I knew about the TK45 but hey:
I've wondered about the 15 minutes max run time on turbo too - but they've not written anything about it in the TK30 manual :thinking:
I too have had my TK40 powered for 1/2 an hour - at room temperature with LSD NiMH - without sign of it being anything near too hot. While of course warmer than not turned on it didn't feel no where near too hot.
I really suspects the situation where the 15 min max run time might come into consideration is with alkalines because of their higher internal resistance (haven't tried with alkalines as I'm a fan of LSD NiMH but in the old days I had a portable 1,5" LCD TV. With rechargeables it didn't get much warm but alkalines did get noticeable warm and it didn't even drew as much current as many of today's LED light). The combined heat of the emitter _and_ batteries might be too much then. But good NiMH should only heat barely noticeable at the currents that TK40 draw. It's easier just to write as they to in the manual than to list a multiple of cases and expect the average Joe to understand.
The TK30 in contrast either you use CR123 or LiIon batteries - in both cases with lower internal resistance than alkaline and so heat from the batteries are no issue there.

So the TK45 might very well have better cooling of the LEDs to allow extended run time on alkaline but with NiMH the TK40 should be fine too.

Just my 2 cents on the odd 15 minute statement regarding the TK40.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Enlightened
The power dissipated by a group of batteries can be written as

P = (I^2)*R where 'P' is the power dissipated, 'I' is the current moving through the group of batteries, and 'R' is the resistance of the group of batteries.

Having a higher internal resistance does not in itself mean that the batteries will heat up. The TK40 has a circuit that, when matched with the group of 8 AA batteries which present whatever voltage they are configured for, draws sufficient current to heat up the batteries.

I agree, though, I believe it is the AA batteries which compel Fenix to place the 15 minute limit on turbo mode.

I am happy that my TK40 is made the way it is. It is a shining example of what a really nice flashlight can be like. Man, I love that light. I think of it as a small searchlight.

McAllan

Enlightened
The power dissipated by a group of batteries can be written as

P = (I^2)*R where 'P' is the power dissipated, 'I' is the current moving through the group of batteries, and 'R' is the resistance of the group of batteries.

Having a higher internal resistance does not in itself mean that the batteries will heat up. The TK40 has a circuit that, when matched with the group of 8 AA batteries which present whatever voltage they are configured for, draws sufficient current to heat up the batteries.

I agree, though, I believe it is the AA batteries which compel Fenix to place the 15 minute limit on turbo mode.

I am happy that my TK40 is made the way it is. It is a shining example of what a really nice flashlight can be like. Man, I love that light. I think of it as a small searchlight.

Sorry I don't really understand what you're saying. Like you're arguing but basically agrees :thinking:
I haven't measured the current draw of the TK40 but someone else has and states it's around 2.5-3 amps. Since the TK40 uses the batteries in a 2x4 configuration that translates to around 1.5 A for a single battery. While 1.5 or 3 A is no problem for a good quality NiMH (at 3 A I would recommend a high drain NiMH - most LSD's should be so though) it certainly is an issue for an alkaline and will cause the cell to heat up while the NiMH stays cool. Sorry I haven't a fancy calculation ready but my long time experience being a battery junkie both in home made and bought gadgets I can tell you it's a fact ;)

Hey even back when we all used 500 mAh AA NiCd 3 amps was possible with the right cells.

So whatever you turn it I still really believes the 15 min max run time is meant for alkalines only (and perhaps those who buy low quality crappy NiMH). But as said I fully understand why Fenix write as they does in their user manuals. Countless examples in history tells you that you can't count on the average Joe to understand too much. Better play safe then. Hey you can even read on a bottle of ethanol (where I live) that in case of skin contact wash immediately with water and soap - it's the same thing - how many do that? It should be fine just to wipe it off without panic (unless very special circumstances).

357mag1

Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting a TK30 and I've seen posted on two (Fenix) dealers sites for the TK40 - in red letters - "do not run in turbo mode for more than 15 minutes".

I set mine on the tail with fresh batteries and run it for over an hour with no ill affects and no dimming on the Turbo mode that my eyes could detect. I doubt you would have any issues in normal use.

Enlightened
Bumpin' up an old thread. :oops:

I joined the TK30 club today. I paid a quick visit to Lighthound this morning and picked it up along with a few other things. Wow! It's pretty darn bright. It's a touch brighter in appearance than my custom 3x Q5 drop-in (Streamlight SL-20X). I'll have to give it a whirl tonight.
It may be my eyes along with the ambient lighting in my house but I see a ever so slight green tint to it.

Bumpin' up an old thread. :oops:

I joined the TK30 club today. I paid a quick visit to Lighthound this morning and picked it up along with a few other things. Wow! It's pretty darn bright. It's a touch brighter in appearance than my custom 3x Q5 drop-in (Streamlight SL-20X). I'll have to give it a whirl tonight.
It may be my eyes along with the ambient lighting in my house but I see a ever so slight green tint to it.

Congrats on the purchase. The TK40 is just such a pleasure to hold, it just feels right. It also doesn't hurt that it's bright as all get out.

I was also just thinking that over a year after it's release, and with everything that's happened in the flashlight world over the last 1-2 years, it still holds the crown as the brightest factory manufactured AA light on the planet.

Edit: oops, saw you have the 30, not the 40. Still a fantastic light.

Last edited:

amraspalantir

Newly Enlightened
bright indeed...used my tk40 whenever i walk my way home
in the dark of night.
neighbors in the road bend thought a car was passing through.:)

CM2010

Enlightened
Will be joining this club in the next day or so but cant decide between the 2...

One thing i`m uncertain of is with the TK30 running on 4 CR123`s do i get the full 630 lumens?

Enlightened
Will be joining this club in the next day or so but cant decide between the 2...

One thing i`m uncertain of is with the TK30 running on 4 CR123`s do i get the full 630 lumens?

Yep. 4 123's or 2 18650's for the 630 lumen brightness. My decision was based on size and battery type. I needed something slim enough and long enough to be able to slip into my duty belt flashlight ring. And if I had to, I could cigar grip it. Charging up 8 AA's was also a turn off. I am already set up for LiIon batteries so it was an easy decision there. It's easier to manage 2 18650's.

CM2010

Enlightened
Thanks for the clarification,will be ordering my TK30 tomorrow :twothumbs

Ive got plenty CR123`s so will be using 4 of these until i go down the 18650 route.

Bullet120

Banned
Just got my Tk30 yesterday. This will defenitely become my primary duty light over my UltraStinger. Will keep regular stinger w led drop in on the belt and Sr90 in the bag for real work. I love the 2x18650 option and will keep extra sets on me and in the car to swap as needed. Easy choice for me over the Tk40 at work. Tk40 seems a good option at home when it will see less use and won't need rapid battery swaps. Very happy with this light.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here I am with a TK30.
I preferred it over the TK40 for the form factor, and because the TK40 battery change is not immediate.
The only gripe I have is the fact that the threads are not plated, therefore after a period of non-use of the light the mode-switching behaves "strangely" - because of the oxidised contacts. I fixed it with a tiny drop of conductive grease.
Anthony

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a TK30 today. Last week I decided to buy a light with a larger reflector for night hiking and had the TK41 in mind but when added up the weight of the light together with the batteries I decided I needed to look at different options. I checked out the TK40, the TK35, the Klarus XT30, the Thrunite Catapult, and the Olight Triton: in the end for different reasons I kept coming back to the TK30 despite being less bright and less efficient (at least compared to the latest versions of the other lights).

First of all I liked the idea of having a light with the same UI as the TK12. Parts are interchangeable: the tailcap is identical for both lights so the TK30 extension tube fits the TK12 as it had been designed for it.

The Fenix 2600 18650 fits really snugly, kind of like in the TK11 so but the Eagletac 3400 goes in smoothly: it can probably use the extra mAh for better runtimes anyway!

The beam is exactly what I wanted: decent throw for its category but still very floody.

I wanted a 2x18650/4xCR123 light that I could use with just one 1x18650/2xCR123 when needed. The TK35 may be brighter and more efficient but realized it cannot be run on 1x18650/2xCR123 - beside being possibly the ugliest light Fenix ever designed.

Aside from being high versitile, what blowed me away most though was the brightness: maybe because the TK30 dates back to 2009 - Fenix wasn't even using ANSI then - I wasn't expecting it to be that much brighter than my Klarus XT10 or JetBeam PA10! Pointing it to a white wall in my room on Turbo was hurting my eyes!

It's too bad this light was so short-lived: I wish Fenix had at least updated with SS-T 50 or even an XM-L before discontinuing it by introducing the TK35. With the TK40 being released a few months earlier and having exactly the same maximum output and beam profile, Fenix likely undermined the success for the TK30. If there were plans for a TK31, they were probably scrapped in favor of the TK35. Had it been released with a newer LED and a different beam profile - maybe more throwy - I'm sure it would have seen a lot more glory!

The TK30 first caught my attention roughly a year ago when I spotted one on sale at €60 euros: I told myself in 2012 it didn't make sense to get a light with MC-E... never say never about flashlight, new or old that it may be: once the bug bites there is only one cure: owning it!

In 2013 the TK30 may not be either remarkably bright or highly efficient but I think this light was highly underrated even during its days. And no, the TK30/TK40 fun club ain't completely dead yet! :nana:

Last edited:

Farhad Gulemov

Newly Enlightened
And no, the TK30/TK40 fun club ain't completely dead yet! :nana:

Oh God no! Of course not :)

I have had my TK40 since, I think, three years and it still is, in my opinion, the ultimate flashlight. While I rarely use it at full power, its good to know that I can blast the entire scene with its beam if needed. The flashlight is almost indestructible, I can get the batteries for it anywhere for cheap, no amout of rain or water will affect it, and at low to medium power it can shine forever. For somebody living in hurricane territory (like myself) these are crucial characteristics which make the TK40 irreplaceable for me. I have several other very good flashlights (Fenix and Zebralight) but the TK40 is the one I would never want to be caught without.

So yes, the TK30/TK40 fanclub is still out there, full of grateful and delighted members!