• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

To Buy or Not to Buy a McLuxIII-Ti-PD-S

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Yaesumofo, I appreciate your input on it. Considering the price of these puppies, I might as well get the best one for my needs. I'm really glad to be able to pick a LS20 up though, can't wait to see it. Since all of you have taken the time to influence me in making my decision, I'll post my impression once I get it.

IMHO the TIPD-s is a cool light mizer mode is even cooler.
That said.
The Lunasol concept (both the 20 and the 27) is a step UP from the tip PD.
Why?
Well you have the advantage of a LOW mode which is a wide soft light. This is extreemely useful light good for close up work reading at night lighting equipment and so many other activities.

Then you have the second beam which is tighter and brighter. the Luinasol high beam quality is very good.

These lunasol lights really are everything the TiPD's are and more. Mainly as a result of the added LOW beam Led's. They make a big difference.,

I highly recomend that you do infact buy both and sell the subjective looser. There is no better way to make a choice of flashlight.
Have fuin.
Yaesumofo

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a Ti PD that is not as bright as a PD-S but illuminates objects with such a natural color balance that i can't dream of changing it to a Seoul. Each has its qualities to be explored...

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This are the two McLuxIII that I have:-
medium.jpg

A Mule Ti-PD and a Ha-Nat PD-S. I have been edc'ing em since I got them. Indeed they are quite an investment but IMO they are worth it. Perfect in form and function. The beam pattern is the best I have seen to date. The spill does not have any rings and the spread from centre to spot is just perfect. The piston drive gives 2 styles of operations and the light can accomodate any type or CR123 or rechargeables.

So summing it up, just get the Ti-PD-S and you will not be sorry. Furthermore the lights are few and far between and if you check the past threads the price for such lights do not fall but the opposite........

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and that's something that should be mentioned if it wasn't already:

THE LUNASOL 20 CAN NOT USE RECHARGEABLE 123's.

You will burn out the high LED if you use 3.6 volt Li-ion R123's. 3.0 volts in is close to the maximum.

On the other hand, I've read that the Ti-PD-S can use either primaries or rechargeables.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks JS. I read that 3.7 Li-Ions will burn out the LED. Mainly, I"ll use primaries, and I may consider getting some AW LiFePO4 3.0v batteries and a 3.0v charger.

Oh, and that's something that should be mentioned if it wasn't already:

THE LUNASOL 20 CAN NOT USE RECHARGEABLE 123's.

You will burn out the high LED if you use 3.6 volt Li-ion R123's. 3.0 volts in is close to the maximum.

On the other hand, I've read that the Ti-PD-S can use either primaries or rechargeables.

Jumpstat, I think I started thinking about getting a McGizmo because of your signature. I saw your collection and when I saw your McGizmos I wanted to get one. One click of your hyperlink cost me a pretty dollar.

Only a few more days and I'll get my LS20. :D

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Lunasol 20 today ... my very first McGizmo light. :twothumbs This light is absolutely beautiful :eek:. It's a little heavier than a thought, but the feeling of a solid piece of Ti feels really nice on my hands. I read that many of McGizmo's flashlights have residual tool marks. However, this Lunasol's finishing is superb, no machining marks from what I see. The low flood light has a very slight cool tint, but not noticeable unless I compare with another light or do white wall hunting. I think the low flood is very very useful and I think that majority of the time, this is what I'll be using. The high beam is very white and bright enough for what I need it for. I never realized how weak my thumb is ... keeping the light on high is pretty tiresome for my weak thumb.

I was going to get a Ti-PD-S to do a comparison with the Lunasol 20, but from my 1 hour of play time, the Lunasol is a keeper. The Lunasol is expensive, but it's well worth it and will not be sitting as shelf queen.

P.S. I may get a PD-S (debating whether I was Ti or Alu) just because of what I've read about it.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
xcel730,

The thumb activation thing took me a few days to get used to, but I certainly did--either my thumb got stronger, or the spring broke in a bit, or I just got mentally used to it, but now, I really like it and have no problem holding the light on high for as long as I want (within reason). So, perhaps the same will happen to you!

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
js, I'm sure that'll happen. No complaints about the PD function, I actually love it. Good workout for my thumbs :twothumbs I've been playing with this light for the past couple of hours. A simple tool, yet so mesmorizing.

xcel730,

The thumb activation thing took me a few days to get used to, but I certainly did--either my thumb got stronger, or the spring broke in a bit, or I just got mentally used to it, but now, I really like it and have no problem holding the light on high for as long as I want (within reason). So, perhaps the same will happen to you!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget you can allways twist the light to it's on position.
There is no doubt the Lunasol 20 is a keeper.
They are very cool flashlights.
Yaesumofo

js, I'm sure that'll happen. No complaints about the PD function, I actually love it. Good workout for my thumbs :twothumbs I've been playing with this light for the past couple of hours. A simple tool, yet so mesmorizing.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm starting to get a little more used to the PD. My right thumb is definitely a lot stronger than my left. :laughing:

Twisting the bezel is very easy too ... I could actually do that one-handed.

I'm still waiting for the dark hours to play with it some more. :whistle: