• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

To use or not to use?

roguesw

Enlightened
Well, I just received the PD that I won in the July auction, and its perfect.
Since these are all prototypes, are you all going to use them? I ask this because Don made these lights to be used and I sure will be using it, in fact its on rotation, but to the others on the board, will you be using them? Or will they be shelf queens?

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I "won" (bought) 2 of them - Mule & LS27 proto both with carbo.. coating.

Mule will get used for sure. I'm swapping out LE with my current Ti PD mule so I will have my darkzero high CRI LE with trits in head on the coated mule.

The LS27 proto I will need to see....

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use them, use them well. They are meant to be used.....I have two, PD-S-Ha and Ti-PD Mule.....on me almost 24/7. These are great lights and IMO money well spent!

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't get any lights from the auction ( :broke: ), but to answer your question, I use my McGizmos a lot. For EDC, I carry my Lunasol 20 and my Haiku on my belt and wear my Sapphire on a Silver necklace. I also use either my Sundrop or my Lunasol 27 (on low) for reading at night before bedtime.

Don't store them, please. Don truly wants them to be used and enjoyed. I appreciate and enjoy mine most when I am using them. Don't wait for the right time to use them, because the right time will never come.:)

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
...For EDC, I carry my Lunasol 20 and my Haiku on my belt and wear my Sapphire on a Silver necklace.

I am still torn as to which to purchase between the Haiku and the Lunasol 20 ( I know, I know just get both:twothumbs:broke:). Kiessling(sp?) gave me a wonderful explanation as to the differences between the two but I am still undecided. You stated that you carry your Lunasol20 and holster the Haiku (backup?), what are some of the benefits of each light that you favor at night in Iowa? (I know it probably sounds corny:stupid:)

edit: sorry for the off topic question

LawLight

Enlightened
Fisk-King

Let me chime in. I use my light each and every day for "close in" lighting. The flood offered by the 3 led set in the LunaSol 20 is perfect for that. It is not a blinding light - rather, it is a soft, very usable, level that allows you to concentrate on what is in front of you, rather than on a glare coming from the object you are illuminating.

The high beam, which combines the 3 led set with the single Dragon emitter, will "reach out" with enough light to spot things at a distance.

It is not the brightest light, nor is it the dimmest. It is, for me, perfect for 98% of the things I need a flashlight for. For an all around EDC light, you won't find a better fit.

LawLight

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
Well, I just received the PD that I won in the July auction, and its perfect.
Since these are all prototypes, are you all going to use them? I ask this because Don made these lights to be used and I sure will be using it, in fact its on rotation, but to the others on the board, will you be using them? Or will they be shelf queens?

Use it!
im using either my LunaSol20 or LunaSol27 everyday to work and casually. :)

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fisk-King

Let me chime in. I use my light each and every day for "close in" lighting. The flood offered by the 3 led set in the LunaSol 20 is perfect for that. It is not a blinding light - rather, it is a soft, very usable, level that allows you to concentrate on what is in front of you, rather than on a glare coming from the object you are illuminating.

The high beam, which combines the 3 led set with the single Dragon emitter, will "reach out" with enough light to spot things at a distance.

It is not the brightest light, nor is it the dimmest. It is, for me, perfect for 98% of the things I need a flashlight for. For an all around EDC light, you won't find a better fit.

LawLight

fyrstormer

Banned
Use it. The body is solid titanium and the LED is rated for several years of continuous operation. You'd have to step into moving traffic to cause any real damage to the thing, and even then it wouldn't be your primary concern.

roguesw

Enlightened
Its already in rotation, having used it for the last 2 days, its been really usefull.
Surprisingly, this is my first 2 level light and I am finding the PD UI very intuitive.
Guess you can say I am a little spoilt by this light.
Cheers guys. and hope all the other winners will use their lights too.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan on EDCing the one I won in the auction. It will replace my Ti XR19 PD prototype that I have been carrying.

Man it will be a relief to get that proto out of its EDC duties... just to get replaced with another prototype :)

I just don't see how anyone could NOT use these lights.

I'mGatMan!

Newly Enlightened
I just don't see how anyone could NOT use these lights.

+1

the only McGizzy I have sitting in my safe is the extra LS20 I bought for redundancy. It's sitting very comfortably in one of Bill's custom cases, along with an extra orange XM-18, and a battery. ;)

My LS20 is actually the tool that gets used most often on a daily basis since I got it the day my daughter was born. Seriously. It NEVER leaves my side.

Fisk...Go with the LS20, brother. You will be MOST pleased with it's usefulness.

You may end up with a Haiku later as well...but it won't be because you weren't happy with your LS20. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

AlecGold

Enlightened
Use them. I had one, used it, saw there where some scrapes, so I polished it a bit again and it was as good as new. That, to me, is the advantage of an all titanium, uncoated, light. If there are dents, you sand you the rough out, if you want all the way up with 2000 wet and dry and it is almost as good as new. If you dent a aluminium light (which is way easier to do) you can't sand it down because the HAIII will wear away as well.
I've got a sundrop coming my way, I'll be modding it to a sundrop 3S and then I'll be using it.
That, for me, is another joy of a mcgizmo light: it's not potted, its out in the open, if nichia makes another beautifull hi-CRI led with a bit more flux, I'll be sure to change the led. easy-peasy and fun to do.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still torn as to which to purchase between the Haiku and the Lunasol 20 ( I know, I know just get both:twothumbs:broke:). Kiessling(sp?) gave me a wonderful explanation as to the differences between the two but I am still undecided. You stated that you carry your Lunasol20 and holster the Haiku (backup?), what are some of the benefits of each light that you favor at night in Iowa? (I know it probably sounds corny:stupid:)

edit: sorry for the off topic question

Not so corny. We have different areas in Iowa, just as other states have. I live in the Quad Cities, which doesn't have much in the way of serious darkness. But, if you go one or more miles outside of the Quad Cities, it can be pretty dark.

For me, I favor all three general beam types: close-up reading-use flood, medium range throw/spill, and long range throw. I carry both the LS20 as well as the Haiku because they cover the full range of EDC uses for me, that is when I'm not carrying my Megalennium and my U2X2. The LS20 provides both gentle, flood illumination for close-up as well as brighter throw for medium distance. The Haiku is a pocket powerhouse of throw and spill with three brightness levels and has excellent output and long-throw for it's size.

For me, the LS20 and the Haiku are two great tastes that taste great together!

Last edited: