Too many choices! Need help choosing general purpose lights

ven

Flashaholic
Too much thinking:p now get spending :whistle: and you will end up with more than planned anyway,it just happens on CPF and perfectly normal;)

Good luck with choice,if you can get a couple for yourself and use on rotation,then if worse happens and one unlikely fails,you still are not without a light:thumbsup:

And yes............it never ends:)

Regards ven

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, didn't your wife tell you she wanted to use "camera batteries" (CR123)? Why is there even a question about which Peak model you should get?

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'd recommend against getting two identical lights. As ven suggested, you may well end up getting more lights down the line. At any rate, my preference is for a small AAA key-chain light. I'd get one slightly larger for my wife's purse (maybe an AA, or a CR123. Now... you'll have two lights, different sizes, different outputs, and probably different beam patterns. I'm thinking that if you decide that you want a larger EDC for yourself, that you might continue to carry the key-chain one, as they pretty much disappear in your pocket.

If you decide that you like your wife's much more than the AAA, then you can easily argue to get one. If on the other hand you have two identical lights, you'll have less experience with the variety of lights that are available.

I'm thinking that if YOU never EDCd a light, then the smaller the better, else, you find it too obtrusive to EDC and won't carry it often enough to learn to appreciate how often, just having one is advantageous. As I said earlier the thrunite Ti2 was too big for me to EDC, and that's a single AAA. I know myself, that if the smallest light I had was a CR123 light, or a single AA light, it would be very unlikely that I'd be EDCing today.

That though is just me.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a feeling that you wont be able to stop at 2 or 3 lights. i hope you can prove me wrong.
Peak is a small company. patience is key with peak, their customer service is always good though.

im going to bring up malkoff again. Gene malkoff and his wife have probably the best customer service in the business.
i know the malkoff MDC is out of your price range, but it might just save you money in the long run. buy it, and you wont have to buy another EDC light again. as long as you dont lose it, or someone steals it. it comes with a lifetime warranty and is great quality.

also, i agree with others that are saying buy 1 light at a time. the peak lights you are looking at use the QTC interface. some like it more than others.
after buying 1 light, use it and carry it for at least a few days. that way you get a better idea what works for you for your next purchase.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a Quark 2x123 and a Quark mini 123 and sometimes I'll add a Fenix TK10. I need to add a Malkoff or a Peak. :huh:

Pixel Hunter

Newly Enlightened
I must be crazy!

Just got off the phone with Bob at RMSK at 11:30 PM and placed an order. I didn't get a couple Peak Logans as planned. No, the insanity gets much worse! After days of disagreements and misunderstandings over our needs, wants and criteria, my wife was smitten by the TnC Ultra-Lux 18350! :huh: In solid copper, no less! :eek: So what does a guy who's lost all touch with reality do? Order two of them! (Well, one of them was AH aluminum) Plus a charger and batteries. In all honesty, the only reason we got one of them in copper was because he only had one AH in stock. Bob was kind enough to throw in two extra batteries at no charge.

Yeah, at the beginning of this thread, I was balking at $50 lights! But I was also considering purchasing 4 lights (a pair of mini EDCs and a pair of 6-8" general purpose.) I think the UL18350's are small enough to be an EDC and powerful enough for everything else. So we only need the single light for each of us instead of two each. Of course... I'm already wondering if I need something smaller... and something larger. :whistle:

Oh my, what have I done!?!? :ohgeez:

ven

Flashaholic
I must be crazy!

No your not crazy ,your normal...........this is CPF:)

Congrats on your lights:thumbsup:

Now do you disappear:thumbsdow............or are you coming back on CPF,do you already have plans afoot to post pics and feedback of lights once received............

Your in trouble if so:whistle:

to add i hope you do by the way;)

Poppy

Flashaholic
, my wife was smitten by the TnC Ultra-Lux 18350! :huh: In solid copper, no less! :eek: So what does a guy who's lost all touch with reality do? Order two of them!

Yeah, at the beginning of this thread, I was balking at $50 lights!

Of course... I'm already wondering if I need something smaller... and something larger. :whistle:

Crazy? Absolutely NOT!!! There's a saying around here... "If mama isn't happy... NOBODY'S happy!" You did the right thing :thumbsup:

I can relate. When I first came here, I thought I'd be a BIG Spender with a $50 budget. Who'd think one could spend more than $50 on a flashlight!? Yep... $350 dollars later and I had my first decent light (with batteries and charger).

Regarding getting something smaller and something larger, I'd wager, that in time, you'll have something smaller, and I wouldn't be surprised if you also get something larger.

I'm glad that you made a decision, the vacillation back and forth can be a killer, but for me, it was FUN watching :)

Pixel Hunter

Newly Enlightened
Now do you disappear:thumbsdow............or are you coming back on CPF,do you already have plans afoot to post pics and feedback of lights once received............

Your in trouble if so:whistle:

I... don't know. I shouldn't. What is it in the human psyche that makes us get crazy-obsessive over things like this. I'm willing to bet cash money on the fact that 99% of people, including myself, would be perfectly suited by a $10 light from the hardware store. But NO... I have to lose my mind and insist on NEEDING a light that costs many times that! And then desire MORE!

I'm glad that you made a decision, the vacillation back and forth can be a killer, but for me, it was FUN watching :)

I wouldn't necessarily say it was FUN. But there is a level of enjoyment in researching and acquiring fine pieces of machinery/equipment. My wife and I tend to do this for everything: knives, pots or other kitchen gadgets, our TVs, game consoles or computers, heck... even clothing or linens! It's taking me 12 months and counting to pick out my next car!!!

Something that baffles me is I posted here on CPF hoping to get advice and recommendations, which I did. But in the end, I purchase two expensive (in my eyes) lights from a brand and model that nobody even mentioned! As far as I know, I may have just bought the priciest pieces of junk in the flashlight world! :duh2: (I hope not!)

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get it, I approach a lot of purchases that way. I PROBABLY would be fine with a 10-20 dollar light, but hate taking the chance that I will find it lacking, and would rather have something quality and that actually suits my needs perfectly.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire 6PX Pro
320 lumens on high for 2.75 hours, 15 lumens on low for 45 hours
You can find them online all day for $65-80
USA made
Lifetime warranty support
Type III coating (Hard Anodized)
CR123 batteries that keep well in all temperature ranges, and are good for 10 years

:welcome:

This dude knows whats up. He always beats me to it. Instead of posting I should just +1 his comments. If not the 6PX you can go with the G2X $63 which feels a lot lighter and Im not sure, maybe its the light weight, but just feels like it could take a bit more banging around than the 6PX. The bigger they are the harder they fall.

Your "only" looking at 325 lumens or so, but for the money I think the G2X is a great value even with the recent price hike. Piece of mind isn't always super cheap.

"Its easier to explain price once than to apologize for quality forever." - Zig Ziglar
^^^ idea borrowed from Elzetta instagram.

Last edited: