Torch (flashlight) Recommendation

Maxam

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, my first post here having read through a few before. I'm looking for some help in purchasing a new torch. As a starter I'm considering an LED Lenser X21.2.

The requirements I'd like to satisfy are:

Runtime of 1hr 30+ on maximum output
Rechargeable
Variable output so as not to blind people!
Greater than 400 metres of throw
Flood and spot

I am too much of a novice to know much about lumens and all of that jazz, but my budget is £300 and I like products well engineered and with high performance, my motto is "do it nice, or do it twice" so I'm looking to buy something reliable and built to last with great performance.

The torch will be used everyday and will be expected to pick out an object or person at 400 metres of range guite comfortably.

From what I can gather the LED Lenser torch I noted above ticks these boxes but I get the impression there may be better brands or better torches for the money?

Thanks in advance,

Maxam

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If you need to see things at 400 meters, the one you asked about can't do it, because its only RATED for 600 meters of throw.

The rated throw is to 0.25 lux, and, that's 100% useless in real life.

:D

To SEE anything at that range, you can't use anything with less than an 800 meter rating....and that only gets you 1 lux at that range...not enough for resolution, etc...but you'd see the spot at least.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all no need to spend £300,you can be fixed up well for far less.I would suggest a separate charger and batteries which can easily be incorporated with a strong budget such as yours.

400 metres is one hell of a distance for an Led light,are you really sure you need it to reach that far?

UnderPar

Enlightened
First of all no need to spend £300,you can be fixed up well for far less.I would suggest a separate charger and batteries which can easily be incorporated with a strong budget such as yours.

400 metres is one hell of a distance for an Led light,are you really sure you need it to reach that far?

First of all, :welcome:

You might need a scope / binocular to identify something at a 400 meters distance.

Maxam

Newly Enlightened
Well that range is desirable, yes; but not absolutely essential. The bottom line is I just want something with an excellent range when I'm out in the hills with my dog as I am frequently. As I'm alone it's important I have something reliable and with great performance. I'm not too bothered about size as I never have much kit and I'm only out fore a few hours at most

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that range is desirable, yes; but not absolutely essential. The bottom line is I just want something with an excellent range when I'm out in the hills with my dog as I am frequently. As I'm alone it's important I have something reliable and with great performance. I'm not too bothered about size as I never have much kit and I'm only out fore a few hours at most

I would flick through the light section on Heinnie.com as the new ui makes it so much easier,literally dozens and dozens of lights to choose from plus all the outdoor gadgets you will ever need.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Well, the thing with lights is that to get longer range, the beams are concentrated into a smaller spots to maximize the lux at long ranges. For dog walking, etc, you want a broader beam typically.

Something with a decent compromise might be a Fenix TK75 for example.

If you want something with insane performance in the same form factor, Vinh's version of it (TK75vn or TK75 KTvn for example, depending upon how MUCH throw you want with your flood) would be a good choice.

Amazing bang for the buck.

If you DO go to Heinnie for example, the Fenix RC40 would be a decent choice, between the stock TK75 and TK75vn versions in performance.

ALL of these are available where people call flashlights "torches", and ALL are better choices than the LED Lenser you were considering.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Well, the thing with lights is that to get longer range, the beams are concentrated into a smaller spots to maximize the lux at long ranges. For dog walking, etc, you want a broader beam typically.

Something with a decent compromise might be a Fenix TK75 for example.

If you want something with insane performance in the same form factor, Vinh's version of it (TK75vn or TK75 KTvn for example, depending upon how MUCH throw you want with your flood) would be a good choice.

Amazing bang for the buck.

If you DO go to Heinnie for example, the Fenix RC40 would be a decent choice, between the stock TK75 and TK75vn versions in performance.

ALL of these are available where people call flashlights "torches", and ALL are better choices than the LED Lenser you were considering.

+1

tk75 or tk75vn as said:)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
How do nitecore hold up against a fenix?

You'd need to go case by case.

And, by hold up, do you mean in performance, reliability, or one of those fuzzy "Yeah everything" sort of ways?

ssholtis

Newly Enlightened
You need to check out the EagleTac Sx25L3 2750 Lumen Light. http://bit.ly/1gB7Iqd
It's going to throw about 500yds, is much cheaper than £300, uses rechargeables and has a great center spot with a flood out from center.

It's variable, and will last well more than 1.3 (more like 1.5 times that).

Latest posts