• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TorchLAB V5 Triple LED drop ins - Programming, 3500L, Secondary LED

Strintguy

Enlightened
Pardon the lack of knowledge. I am trying to learn, specifically about efficiency. Are three 219b's more or less efficient at lower lumens, say the 250 than a single 219b. I am on the fence about the V5 drop in, just looking at it from all sides. I expect that the answer is more complicated than the question (or the one asking)
thanks

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is on my list! Would love to hear from present owners about what they like so much about this drop in costing a pretty penny. Tips tricks welcome as well

Read the relevant threads. Have your communication device on the brightest screen setting when programming (I use an iPad). Start the bounce setting not very sensitive, then dial it in. If you put it way too sensitive, programming can be titchy. A more reflective surface will be more reactive with the bounce setting. Hope this did not confuse. It will come together when the unit is in-hand.

One aspect that seems fairly unique with this technology is that a person can program a mode group, then adjust intensity and sequence after real time use in the field. And continue to experiment until the desired configuration is achieved. One is able to choose just the right level of light for each mode. So, so nice.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Pardon the lack of knowledge. I am trying to learn, specifically about efficiency. Are three 219b's more or less efficient at lower lumens, say the 250 than a single 219b. I am on the fence about the V5 drop in, just looking at it from all sides.
Sorry, missed your post!

As a general rule, LEDs get more efficient the more under-driven they are. Push a 219 and an XPL at 1amp each and the XPL will produce more light. So too, a third of an amp across three 219 will produce more light than a single 219 at the same total power. Adding to things, different drivers tax power at different levels. Compared with a single 219 package, you can expect v5 to produce more light at the same power level.

arKmm

Enlightened
Has anyone done beamshots for this yet?

I would like to see how much throw there is to the XPL triple

Strintguy

Enlightened
Sorry, missed your post!

As a general rule, LEDs get more efficient the more under-driven they are. Push a 219 and an XPL at 1amp each and the XPL will produce more light. So too, a third of an amp across three 219 will produce more light than a single 219 at the same total power. Adding to things, different drivers tax power at different levels. Compared with a single 219 package, you can expect v5 to produce more light at the same power level.

Thanks for that, appreciate it... And just placed an order!

BSBG

Enlightened
Ok, trying unsuccessfully to program...

i created an account. I can log in. I go to the Oveready programming page and adjust the parameters. I hit save and program it asks me to log in. I do, and all my parameters disappear.

What at am I missing?

thanks!

msim

Enlightened
I've been using my V5 drop in more and more while waiting for the BOSS to release. Yesterday evening I was taking photos of my dog, like I often do, but I decided to ceiling bounce my V5 triple on full blast using 2 IMR 18350s. The extra light really helped my smartphone get this awesome shot.

Can't wait to see what's in store with the BOSS!
NbzzGHI.jpg!1

msim

Enlightened
I have the XP-L Redome. The smartphone camera does mess with color a bit in automatic mode but especially on the higher modes the drop in has a perfect neutral tint.

Edit: Also this was my first time running down a set of 18350s in one go on high. My 6P with Z44 Cryos head got very hot after a few minutes. Used it after that in short bursts.

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using my V5 drop in more and more while waiting for the BOSS to release. Yesterday evening I was taking photos of my dog, like I often do, but I decided to ceiling bounce my V5 triple on full blast using 2 IMR 18350s. The extra light really helped my smartphone get this awesome shot.

Can't wait to see what's in store with the BOSS!
NbzzGHI.jpg!1

Great photo!!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Yesterday evening I was taking photos of my dog, like I often do, but I decided to ceiling bounce my V5 triple on full blast using 2 IMR 18350s.

Nice technique. I light all my images by flashlight and do something similar!

Also this was my first time running down a set of 18350s in one go on high. My 6P with Z44 Cryos head got very hot after a few minutes. Used it after that in short bursts.
FYI
Every v5 ships, set to an internal temperature of 65C. This is half the temperature limit of the hardware itself and will self regulate under continuous operation. If this is higher than you prefer, other temperatures can be configured...

Scroll down to section G here for our 8 standard levels:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403685

or let me know if there is a specific temperature you'd prefer.

msim

Enlightened
FYI
Every v5 ships, set to an internal temperature of 65C. This is half the temperature limit of the hardware itself and will self regulate under continuous operation. If this is higher than you prefer, other temperatures can be configured...

Scroll down to section G here for our 8 standard levels:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403685

or let me know if there is a specific temperature you'd prefer.

Glad to know the default temp is safe for the internals. I just reconfigured some lights and put my V5 dropin in a 2x18650 (with Z32 Cryos) setup so I can get max brightness for a little longer. :)

Last edited by a moderator: