Toronto and Area Meet CONFIRMED 9/13/2012 7PM

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Toronto and Area Meet?

Centropolis and everybody reading this. It may be a god idea to PM everybody you know in the GTA area. Considering the long time since the last meeting people may not be checking this subforum.
UPDATE.
I have sent PMs to people who have posted in the last 3 threads that are still active (posted in 2012):
Bradlee;LumenHound;Zero_Enigma;RGB_LED;rotncore
ackbar;Zero_Enigma;Pydpiper;ewchiu3;SemiMan
MerkurMan;kit;linty;r-ice luketheduke8
And sent an email to Eric via [email protected] (his last activity was in 2011).

Location - Starbucks at Bloor St. West & Ellis Park Road (Note that both Google Maps and Starbucks' website does not show this location but it's there. Also note that there is also a Starbucks that's farther west on Bloor St W that's on Google Maps so DO NOT get confused and go to the wrong one.)
If I remember correctly this is the way by public transit. For those driving look at the last 2 pictures to see the Starbucks.

1 Take the subway at Union Station.
4-Union-Station-subway-entrance.jpg

2 Go north until Bloor, transfer to the westbound Bloor train and

3 Exit at High Park subway station.
5-High-Park-SW-subway-entrance.jpg

4 View from High Park subway station. The cross street is Bloor with the park on the other side.
6-Looking-from-subway-station.jpg

5 Turn right (west) at bloor.
12-continue-down-Bloor.jpg

6 Cross Bloor at the next lights.
13-cross-Bloor-at-lights.jpg

7 Starbucks is at the end of the block.
14-Starbucks-at-end-of-block.jpg

8 A closer view of Starbucks..
15-Starbucks.jpg

I think parking is allowed beside the park on Bloor after 6. Can someone confirm?

EDIT some pictures from past meets. Thanks Centropolis and monkeyboy for taking them.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...get-together&p=2576850&viewfull=1#post2576850
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...new-thread-D&p=2848243&viewfull=1#post2848243
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14061948@N04/sets/72157621769553451/detail/

Last edited:

Max Brightness

Enlightened
Thanks LEDninja for the directions with photos. The photo does show the Starbucks. As for parking, I usually park my car beside High park on Bloor st W after 7pm. (probably ok after 6pm but I can confirm only for 7pm). Parking is allowed then and there is usually plenty of parking.

ewchiu3

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for thinking about sending a PM. I am a maybe for the GTG. Hope I can make it happen.

Centropolis

Enlightened

Thanks LEDninja for posting the photo directions again.

List of attendance edit in post #1.

If your status has changed from "maybe" to "confirmed", let me know.

Changed title of the thread.

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Anyone live near Markham? Say around 9th Line/Markham?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Centropolis
Location Mississauga, Canada
I live in North York
Time to update your profile.

I am a maybe at this point.
No car. Takes me 2 hours to get there 2 hours back. And I'm in no condition to do the hike down to the pond.
I have not bought many new lights either. A couple of AA 4sevens, a MiniMag, and a penlight from Dollarama yesterday (haven't opened the package yet).
I did NOT get the MiniMag from Crappy Tire!

Last edited:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to make the meet but I have to crawl out of bed every morning at 4:00 AM so unfortunately 8:00 PM is my bedtime. With my crazy work schedule the only time I'm up past oh dark hundred is on the weekends and during the late spring, summer and fall til Thanksgiving weekend that means I'm up at the family cottage.

loquutis79

Enlightened
I too would attend. However my bedtime is also in the 8:00pm time zone as my day starts at 4:30am.
Maybe for the next meet, a Friday or Saturday night could be concidered?
Have a good time!

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
Who's selling, and what? :wave:lol

Either way, I'd love the opportunity to just touch base with some enthusiastic locals.

Last edited:

Max Brightness

Enlightened
Who's selling, and what?

I'd love the opportunity to just touch base with some enthusiastic locals.

Hi AI_D,

I'm glad you found this thread!

As for your question, the intention of the meetup isn't about selling. There may be people who sell certain brands who attend and there may be people who have used flashlights to sell, but that is not the main intent of the meetup. We are getting together as enthusiasts and friends to show off the flashlights we have, to see what others have and to talk about flashlights we want and to have some fun. If you are up for it, we generally go for a night walk through high park to shine our lights around in the dark :).

We welcome you to join the group and I hope you can make it.

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
Hi AI_D,

I'm glad you found this thread!

As for your question, the intention of the meetup isn't about selling. There may be people who sell certain brands who attend and there may be people who have used flashlights to sell, but that is not the main intent of the meetup. We are getting together as enthusiasts and friends to show off the flashlights we have, to see what others have and to talk about flashlights we want and to have some fun. If you are up for it, we generally go for a night walk through high park to shine our lights around in the dark :).

We welcome you to join the group and I hope you can make it.

After I posted that I went back and it seemed 'odd' of a thing to ask. I should have added, 'either way' it would be great to meet up.... etc.
But yes, at the very least I can definitely foresee a number of interesting conversations.

I'm pretty certain I'll be able to swing by.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
Great you can make it! Just look for the tables that have flashlights on them. ;-)

Btw, it wasn't an odd thing to ask. There are many meetings of different kinds that are selling oriented and if you don't ask, you aren't sure what to expect. Thanks of asking.

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
and a penlight from Dollarama yesterday (haven't opened the package yet).

To be frank, it's the best penlight for the money ($2 or so). If you modify the switch plunger and glue in the aluminum tailcap just at the right travel clearance it's a sweet clicker. I've got one stashed in serveral coats. Dollarama FTW.

PS - If anyone wants a Mag-Lite head assembly (C cell size IIRC, head, bezel, reflector, no lens, pretty beat up) let me know.
http://i50.tinypic.com/296owg0.jpg

Your image is too large and has been replaced with a link. Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
Great you can make it! Just look for the tables that have flashlights on them. ;-)

Btw, it wasn't an odd thing to ask. There are many meetings of different kinds that are selling oriented and if you don't ask, you aren't sure what to expect. Thanks of asking.

I suppose it was just sleep deprived awkward wording then. ;]

Just out of curiosity, why this location?
(I ask because it, and the Grenadier were old haunts of mine)

Max Brightness

Enlightened
I suppose it was just sleep deprived awkward wording then. ;]

Just out of curiosity, why this location?
(I ask because it, and the Grenadier were old haunts of mine)

It has become a bit of a thing from 5-6 years ago when we organized a meetup. I used to live in High Park and I suggested it because it is dark, on the subway and bus route and figured it was a good place to meet. A few other people on CPF lived handy and we decided this was the place. Over the years we had other suggestions and we tried some other places but those that consistently showed up were those people handy to high park. I think it is a great place for night hikes.

It's interesting that you are familiar with the area also.

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
It has become a bit of a thing from 5-6 years ago when we organized a meetup. I used to live in High Park and I suggested it because it is dark, on the subway and bus route and figured it was a good place to meet. A few other people on CPF lived handy and we decided this was the place. Over the years we had other suggestions and we tried some other places but those that consistently showed up were those people handy to high park. I think it is a great place for night hikes.

It's interesting that you are familiar with the area also.

It certainly is a great area, that ravine steps away in particular. I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

(What's interesting is after all this time that Starbucks is still utterly unlisted :confused:)