Toughest EDC Folder?

Lantern32

Enlightened
The spyderco paramilitary ii is a bullet-proof knife. It has a thick blade, and a compression lock on the back. People have tested this knife excessively out in the wilderness, and it has held up very well. It also seems to be a great EDC. I am getting a benchmade 940 Osborne because I want a more elegant knife (still super strong though). I actually had an Osborne, but had to return it because of a defective blade! Honestly though, the spyderco paramilitary ii could get you out of almost any situation, and it would still be a champ at the end. People split logs with it! Check it out on YouTube. almost bought the knife myself!

Zero Tolerance makes some wickedly beefy knives too, but they do come at a price.

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
The toughest folding knife I have used is the Benchmade Adamas 275. It is on the heavy side and it's more than $100, but you aren't likely going to break it in your lifetime. I have a Zero Tolerance 0350 which is a solid knife, but no where near as solid a build as the Adamas. I'll take the Axis lock over a liner lock or frame lock any day. I like Kershaw and Spyderco too, but they aren't what I would call tough. Solid yes, but not tough.

Z'ha'dum

Newly Enlightened
The Hinderer XM-18 (3" & 3.5" blade) and larger XM-24 (4" blade) would be my picks for toughest sub-custom knives.

Close runner ups are the Strider SnG (3.5" blade) and the SMF (4" blade).

All of these knives are considered mid-tech knives. Mid-tech's fall between production knives and customs and can get you great 'bang for your buck' as compared to full custom knives.

I pick the Hinderers over the Striders as a matter of preference but also because the Hinderers have the edge in quality IMO. New Striders need to be broken in and will sometimes develop blade play. Strider will fix it free of charge but it still has to be counted as a knock against them. Also, the ergos of Hinderers are much better...my opinion, of course.

Although I own both and I carry a SnG at work everyday and it's performance is OUTSTANDING. The reason I carry my Strider over my Hinderer is because my Hinderer is a Gen II custom XM-18 and is valued at ~$1400. I've lost knives at work before and I'd rather lose a $400 knife than a more expensive one. Well, I'd rather not lose anything but you know how it goes.

Now, if you absolutely positively have to have the toughest EDC folder then you're going to have to move into custom knives. And custom knives mean
fOc7053.gif

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to buck the trend of $400 knives. :)

Gerber EAB 2 (because I don't like EAB 3 and have both models.)

The reason I say it's tough is that you swap out the utility knife razor blade. Cut whatever you want: wire, light sheet metal, open cans. Oh noes! Ruined the edge? Swap the blade.

I strop mine occasionally on the back of a junk mail envelope laying flat on a table. Though my current blade is almost totally brown with corrosion, the edge is still shiny and shaving sharp.

Also, by applying a "cold blue" compound to the blade before installation, you ward off corrosion in a big way. It extends the blade life.

I've cleaned fish, cut wire, and cut stuff I wouldn't cut with a "good knife," therefore the EAB 2 is a better knife.

It's like I was having a discussion with a guy about knives. I showed him my $30 knife, he said "If you've got a $30 life, get a $30 knife." I pulled a soda can out of the trash and said "if your knife is so good, then cut this." He refused to use his $400 knife, stating he didn't want to mess up the edge. I casually began cutting the can into strips, saying "guess my knife is better, I can actually use it and not care."

Z'ha'dum

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to buck the trend of $400 knives. :)

Gerber EAB 2 (because I don't like EAB 3 and have both models.)

The reason I say it's tough is that you swap out the utility knife razor blade. Cut whatever you want: wire, light sheet metal, open cans. Oh noes! Ruined the edge? Swap the blade.

I strop mine occasionally on the back of a junk mail envelope laying flat on a table. Though my current blade is almost totally brown with corrosion, the edge is still shiny and shaving sharp.

Also, by applying a "cold blue" compound to the blade before installation, you ward off corrosion in a big way. It extends the blade life.

I've cleaned fish, cut wire, and cut stuff I wouldn't cut with a "good knife," therefore the EAB 2 is a better knife.

It's like I was having a discussion with a guy about knives. I showed him my $30 knife, he said "If you've got a $30 life, get a $30 knife." I pulled a soda can out of the trash and said "if your knife is so good, then cut this." He refused to use his $400 knife, stating he didn't want to mess up the edge. I casually began cutting the can into strips, saying "guess my knife is better, I can actually use it and not care."

There are advantages to carrying a knife with disposable blades, I suppose. Hacking up cardboard and being able to snap in a new blade at will would be great. I had one at some point. Used it mostly for sharpening pencils in the field.

However, whether or not a person is willing to use a knife has no bearing on it's toughness. Willingness to use it doesn't impact it's potential performance. When I had my Corvette I never raced it (OK, once or twice) but it was still faster 95% of the cars out there.

In a head to head test of toughness that Gerber would have no chance of winning. It will break long before most of the knives mentioned in this thread. And I don't mean just the blade breaking. It's cheaply made and won't hold up to real abuse.

Then there's the issue of what you'd rather have in a life or death situation. Again, no contest. I'll take my any of my knives (and I have quite a few) over your $10 knife all day, every day.

That said, different strokes for different folks. If you're happy with it, then that's what counts.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could see the liner lock of the EAB going, but I've hanged and banged with mine for I guess about 8 years now EDC. It hasn't failed yet, though I bought a couple spares just in case.

Hard use isn't really the domain of a folder anyway. For that, I EDC a fixed Esee Izula. Just my opinion, anyway.

Z'ha'dum

Newly Enlightened
I could see the liner lock of the EAB going, but I've hanged and banged with mine for I guess about 8 years now EDC. It hasn't failed yet, though I bought a couple spares just in case.

Hard use isn't really the domain of a folder anyway. For that, I EDC a fixed Esee Izula. Just my opinion, anyway.

Good choice :thumbsup:

Here in Michigan it is illegal to carry a fixed blade unless you're hunting or LE otherwise I would definitely carry a FB everyday.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knife laws are really annoying! In my state, only a few municipalities have length limits. That means I can EDC a sword if I want. :)

No bowie knife (swedge tip) unless hunting, fishing, camping, or target shooting. Makes no sense! I can pack a Cheness Katana, but not a bowie knife?

I gave up trying to understand it. Anyway, that Esee Izula is small enough to get by the length laws of anywhere I'll be.

As far as a tough folder, I am kind of partial to the Gerber Gator with that massive rubberized grip. That's gotta be the thickest blade on a folder I've got.

Lantern32

Enlightened
Knife laws are really annoying! In my state, only a few municipalities have length limits. That means I can EDC a sword if I want. :)

No bowie knife (swedge tip) unless hunting, fishing, camping, or target shooting. Makes no sense! I can pack a Cheness Katana, but not a bowie knife?

I gave up trying to understand it. Anyway, that Esee Izula is small enough to get by the length laws of anywhere I'll be.

As far as a tough folder, I am kind of partial to the Gerber Gator with that massive rubberized grip. That's gotta be the thickest blade on a folder I've got.

In California you can have a foldable pocket knife as log as the blade is shorter than your palm.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree, Bill. Probably best not to open that can of insanity. It's not based on reality, safety, or reason. Never argue with insanity, people watching might not know the difference. :)

I went through my folders last night. The beefiest one I have is indeed the Gerber Gator. I gave it the Lansky turn-box treatment and it shaves. Thickest folder blade I own. I'd imagine if you didn't lock the lock and just "doweled" only the blade that it'd be fine. Once you re-profile that thick blade and get the marginal factory edge off of it, it's a super champ.

Doweling: that's when you hit the back of the knife with a stick to split wood. This is the ultimate acid test of a hard use knife, IMHO. Even one-piece fixed blades fail at this task.

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
Just an FYI, it is also commonly referred to as 'Batoning'

Agree, Bill. Probably best not to open that can of insanity. It's not based on reality, safety, or reason. Never argue with insanity, people watching might not know the difference. :)

I went through my folders last night. The beefiest one I have is indeed the Gerber Gator. I gave it the Lansky turn-box treatment and it shaves. Thickest folder blade I own. I'd imagine if you didn't lock the lock and just "doweled" only the blade that it'd be fine. Once you re-profile that thick blade and get the marginal factory edge off of it, it's a super champ.

Doweling: that's when you hit the back of the knife with a stick to split wood. This is the ultimate acid test of a hard use knife, IMHO. Even one-piece fixed blades fail at this task.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Kershaw Folding Field knife that feels and looks like a fixed blade knife when it is open for use. It sounds like a bank vault door closing when operating it.

tadbik

Enlightened
I carry on duty a Buck/Tops Model CSAR-T. It's a serious piece of gear built to last and tough enough to use for prying. Also got it at a reasonable price. And it came with a sheath. Still available for less than $100

abbazaba

Newly Enlightened
The Spyderco Gayle Bradley Folder is one tough knife for just over a $100, and my weekend warrior.

The knife I beat the hardest for under $100 is my Native5 Lightweight. I know that a light FRN knife without liners doesn't scream "tough", but I would be shocked if it over broke under very hard use. Plus, the size and weight make it the knife I actually have with me.