Toughest edc

Edi

Newly Enlightened
What is, value for money, the toughest edc light. AA, cr123 or 18650. Doesn't have to be the brightest but obviously still bright. Good ui and regulation are a big plus. What I'm really keen to hear about is everyone's opinions on what torch can be dropped onto concrete, thrown into water and mud and turn on every time. Let's hear some suggestions and experiences.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
So far, there are a LOT of them now a days.

Obviously, any light can whack at a bad angle, etc, can go down for the count...but, for me at least, the ones that I have that take a lickin and keep on tick'n: (no "order")

Klarus XT11 and XT20

4Sevens S12, X10, S18

Zebralight SC600

Olight SR90

Surefire 6P, C2 and Fury

Nitecore TM11

Jetbeam RTT 3 XML

I have other lights, but, I didn't list them because I might have only dropped them onto rocks, concrete, into lakes, etc...too few times to KNOW if they could do it over and over again. Some may become part of the list if they suffer more/additional abuse.

I mean, I have lights I've NEVER dropped...I don't do it on PURPOSE typically....except the Klarus XT11, which gets thrown at walls, etc.... from time to time to make a point, and is my beater EDC anyway.

I also have other lights I DID drop, etc, and they broke and or seemed to take it poorly, and I consider experiments....and are not listed. :D

As you mentioned regulation, etc...I have some bomb proof unregulated I didn't list either...like the Invova X5, ElektroLumens Big Bruiser, etc.

Last edited:

Kevinkw1

Newly Enlightened
Surely the light for you is an HDS systems light! Go check out their website as it shows you the abuse this single cr123 light can handle! This light is legendary for toughness and is built like a tank and feels like it. There are models from 120 to 200 lumens.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
As TEEJ mentioned, there are many. For example, here are 2 video demonstrations done on Eizetta and Armytek Predator, abuses include slamming, running over with vehicles and shot at.
Having said that, all lights' Achilles' heel is the lens. Well, that is unless someone starts to use bulletproof glass. :thinking:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 the HDS are incredibly sturdy
so are the Surefire E1B's. There was thread about an E1B that took on a garberator and still worked after (Surefire offered to replace the light and sent a new lens)

Hds titanium would be badass but hard to find.

MacsCustoms and McGismos also quite sturdy

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS popped to mind first, but there is a wait for new product now. You should consider the Malkoff MD2, with two mode ring, if you want a long running low level option. The main level can be chosen based on your preference of brightness vs. runtime. It is currently available from Illumination Supply with the new Nichia 219 high CRI neutral LED, not the absolute brightest option, but the nicest by far. Runs on either 1x18650/17670 or 2xCR123. Simple and tough as a ball-peen hammer, fully potted electronics, made in USA, and a warranty surpassed by no other. Very popular with law enforcement officers.

nbp

Flashaholic
Basically anything by any of the four manufacturers in my sigline. They all make superior lights and are my favorites by far.

jalal20

Enlightened
I am sorry in advance to all of those who listed a big list of chinese made lights. 2 types of EDC lights out there are considered to be indestructible, HDS lights and Mcgizmo lights.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
I've got a 6 year old SF C2 with M61W that has been dropped numerous times, been to several different continents, tossed around for months at a time in a glove box, been through the washing machine once (or was it twice?), etc. etc.

It is BY FAR, the light that has seen the most use/abuse of all that I own. And yet I just know that every time I press the button, it will work.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
It is downright shameful some of the "bad" things I have done to my Klarus XT-11 at work and it continues to soldier on. Prior to carrying it I used a Jetbeam PA40, which I still own, and it shrugged off several rough nights. Some folks look down on the Chinese lights and maybe there is something to that I don't know. My budget just doesn't allow for some of the other "high end" lights which are often discussed here. I'd love to own one or at least try a couple of them out and see where this loyalty has come from. Most folks don't give it blindly so I am sure it was earned. In the same manner, and within my price point, names like Klarus, Jetbeam, 4Sevens, and Nitecore have earned mine.

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
I will concur with the HDS/RA lights. Somewhere I have an RA twisty that has had a substantial amount of abuse dished out to it. Looks like it has spent a week in a rock tumbler, still works. Has even survived use by my kids. They are the destroyers of everything. Seriously, could give them a solid billet of hardened steel and they would find a way to break or destroy it. I carry a HDS EDC High CRI in my pocket quite often, and just about anything else in that pocket gets chewed up by that light. I try not to abuse my lights, but once my carry lights get a few dings and scratches, I'm not concerned about keeping them pristine any more. While I have not abused and tortured this light, it has been dropped onto various surfaces, including concrete, and while it has obvious signs of wear, has held up better than most. Some other lights that have proven nearly indestructible for me over the years have been most SureFires esp Executive series and Lumamax series, all of my Arc and NovaTac lights, Nitecore Infinity, Jetbeam JET II M, Peak LED (esp stainless McKinley), Inova X1's.

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
Truth! The old classics get overlooked sometimes, have Many ancient 2D Rayovacs as well as Maglights laying around, esp in shop and garage, they soldier on forever it seems.

edit- was responding to Shelm"s post- "rayovac indestructible"

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compared to most chinese light manufacturers HDS Systems just goes that extra mile with their lights:

- the glass lens is around 3mm thick and is held in place by an o-ring on both sides for shock protection

- there are springs on both sides of the battery tube preventing battery crush when the light hits something, the springs are also not just springs: they have a flat piece of metal with 3 dots on it for better contact and to prevent battery crush

- the anodisation is extremely thick

- there are no exposed sharp edges on the outside of the light

- the walls and the bezel are very thick, noticeably thicker than those of most chinese lights

- the lights don't have a normal switch, they have an electronic switch, which doesn't wear our (rated at 1.000.000 million presses), they do this so that the high current going through the led, battery and electronics doesn't go through the switch like on most lights

- the battery is protected from over-discharge -> this is an often pverlooked feature which I find very important, it allows you to fergot the light when it's turned on and even let others handle it for extended periods withoiut risks -> when flashlight causes its battery/s to explode you can't really call it robust

-there is also a reverse polarity protection meaning that you wont destroy the driver when you put a battery in the wrong way

- the electronics of the light are potted, this means that they are shock protected and water proof -> potted means that they covered in a glue-like compound which you can't really remove

- the lights have a thermal protection for the led -> this means that they wont burn up on you when you aren't paying attention or lending the light to someone else
-> I think there should also be a thermal portection for the battery

- the standard bezel is made up of thick stainless steel which is much more impact resistant than (even anodized) aluminium -> some of the other manufacturers also so do this on some of their lights (Jetbeam, thrunite ...)

- the parts are made with very narrow tolerances (this is the reason for Henry's problems with the parts suppliers) -> everything just fits perfectly, when there is nothing loose it's unlikely something will break

- the lights (not sure about the Rotarys) are waterproof up to 20m (static) instead of the usual 1m

- the lights are actually emp-proof, if all arguments fail use this one :D (although useless for most people)

All in all thats a pretty long list, wouldn't you say?

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you asked for the Toughest, not just "the tough."

So: HDS [particularly the Twisty model], Surefire [their lights are extremely well designed and will get chewed up, but soldier on], Malkoff/Elzetta [as others have said, as simple as hammers]. McGizmo's, as I understand, are well made as well.

But truthfully, my only experience is with HDS and Surefire, and truth to tell, I prefer HDS. Lower outputs, but better UI, more modes, and better regulation all in a package built like a tank.

___

And Driver, the HDS series [specifically Clicky and Twisty models] are waterproof to two atmospheres [~66 feet] not 5meters.

Last edited: