Traveling around the world with flashlights

loszabo

Enlightened
I just returned from a business trip to Bulgaria, and I'm already packing for Munich (this week) and Lithuania (next week). What I do: I'm selling peace and freedom -- as seen by the US defense industry... :D

In Bulgaria boarding with three flashlights was no issue. Heck, on Sunday nobody even cared. I was done with security in under three minutes. Some other funny examples:

• In Romania my backpack was checked four times in the x-ray. What was the problem? A Night-Ops Gladius? Nah, a Mont Blanc fountain pen!!! (It was unscrewed and inspected.) Can you believe this!
  • In Vienna the security after the x-ray started to inspect my former SureFire E1L. I politely explained what it was. Response: yeah, I know SureFire, but I've never seen this model before...
Here a few things I've avoided:

• Traveling to the UK with a SureFire E2D. Self-defense is an offense in the UK or something like this I've heard... After all the stories about criminal activity, illegal weapons imports, and bans, I've decided to avoid the UK as much as possible anyway. Heathrow (aka Deathrow) is another reason...
  • Going on board with a SureFire E2D.
  • Checking in my flash-lights in the luggage. I don't do it anymore. First I risk losing it and second after the US battery requirements, I do not carry anything with or without batteries in my check-in luggage anymore, except my old Sony world-receiver.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Great info!

I did some travels as an exchange student in Europe a few years ago, and all I had on me were some 2AA minimags.

How times have changed for flashaholics and world travelers. Great to hear of your experiences with the lights. When I traveled to France in 2006 it was shortly after the liquid ban non-sense, when you couldn't bring even an ounce of water / fluid into the airport.

After that I decided to change jobs so I wouldn't have to travel so much. I miss seeing other parts of the world so much but this security overkill has really dampened my love of travel. But I'm very glad you still enjoy it. Having nice flashlights are key when you go to strange new places, especially in the late night.

Safe travels! :wave:

loszabo

Enlightened
But I'm very glad you still enjoy it. Having nice flashlights are key when you go to strange new places, especially in the late night.

Thanks for the kind words. You are missing something! I really enjoy traveling, though seven days in Bulgaria have been a little bit too much for this one. I didn't like it: everyone wants money from you... corruption everywhere... and of course big & expensive cars on the other side! (Sorry, trailing off.)

Yes, having a flashlight next to the bed is mandatory in a strange bed. Sometimes I simulate room-clearing with my Gladius when entering my dark hotel room later in the evening. :D

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Self-defense is an offense in the UK or something like this I've heard...
thats canada,
in the UK any kind of knive is restricted
(... but they had quite a bunch of kills with knives there, more than anywhere else in Europe. Seems some regulation is silly and leads to less security)
:(

nice that You did not really got problems with the lights. Even with strike bezels that would just be silly)

loszabo

Enlightened
nice that You did not really got problems with the lights. Even with strike bezels that would just be silly)

Someone suggested attaching the color filter on the E2D before going through the x-ray... :thinking:

Tell you what: I love my SureFire E2D and will not risk losing it at some inspection...

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Romania my backpack was checked four times in the x-ray. What was the problem? A Night-Ops Gladius? Nah, a Mont Blanc fountain pen!!! (It was unscrewed and inspected.) Can you believe this!

Kinda Off=Topic but they were searching for the infamous pen-guns...

all the best with your travelling, Kostas

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Traveling around the world sounds like lots of fun. I'd bring an AA powered light so I can easily buy batteries if there is not power port or CR123 batteries available.

Have fun in Munich!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah..... For all practical purposes, self-defense is illegal in the UK.

But no politician is going to be stupid enough to admit it. :rolleyes:

loszabo

Enlightened
Traveling around the world sounds like lots of fun. I'd bring an AA powered light so I can easily buy batteries if there is not power port or CR123 batteries available.

I always schlepp around 8x SF123A and 7x AA batteries/rechargeables for my world-receiver and Peltor ear-protector. For battery storage I love those TAD BC-8 pouches with inserts. :wave:

Also I always carry the battery containers in my backpack. So I can explain to the security and demonstrate in case I need.

loszabo

Enlightened
I wanted to add something very, very important:

Always remove weapon-mounts from your handheld flashlights!!! Some countries (e.g. Germany) consider a flashlight plus picatinny-rail mount an illegal part for weapons (unless you have a special permission to own/use it).

Of course only use the light + weapon-mount, if you have a reason to legally do so (e.g. demonstrations, cross-trainings, etc.)

BenjiBot

Enlightened
thats canada,
in the UK any kind of knive is restricted
(... but they had quite a bunch of kills with knives there, more than anywhere else in Europe.

Not strictly true. You are allowed to carry a 3" (maximum) folder but might need to explain why you have it. I EDC a tiny Vox MegaMini (blade approximately 1.5"), which is technically illegal as it's a fixed blade.

Knife crime is rampant in the UK at the moment, but nearly all of it seems to be teenagers stabbing each other with kitchen knives because of a perceived "lack of respect". A crying shame. Anyway, back on topic: I have flown around Europe with an E2D and never had any comments, I suppose it depends how diligent the X-ray operator is.

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened
In Romania my backpack was checked four times in the x-ray. What was the problem? A Night-Ops Gladius? Nah, a Mont Blanc fountain pen!!! (It was unscrewed and inspected.) Can you believe this!

Last week I went through airport security in Eugene, OR. Its a relatively small airport and the TSA there is either less experienced or bored and tend to look more closely at travelers compared to larger airports.

I had all my flashlights in a separate bag and put it in the plastic tub for inspection. The two P3D's, P1D, Liteflux LF2, spare lithium batteries and several 5mm cheapies I was taking as gifts didn't get a second look.

While I was re-lacing my boots my backpack was x-rayed several times. The TSA officer brought me the 'offending' item for explanation.

My Eversharp Skyline, a mid-1940's fountain pen with, it would seem, a very 'knife-like' nib. I assured the TSA that while the pen is mightier than the sword, this was indeed just a pen.

When that line didn't get even the smallest glint of a smile I offered to ink it up and write with it.

Through the whole process the TSA was very nice and professional, if humorless.

dwntwnftw

Newly Enlightened
I usually have an AAA mag with an LED drop in, and a AA type flashlight with me when I travel. I have a camera that also takes AA batteries (NM rechargeable). Having traveled internationally for some time I just decided to standardize electronics on AA Batteries.

I have had security in several countries look at the lights, and turn them on. Usually they just seem to be making sure it works.

I agree it is great to have one as you never know when a blackout etc., will come along. I recently was in Spain where they had the "sensors" in the bathrooms to conserve electricity. It conserved electricity well as it would not turn on the lights! No troubles though as the AAA LED was enough.

Happy (and safe) travels to all!

J

loszabo

Enlightened
Have fun in Munich!

Munich was great. I had a lot of fun at the GPEC 2008 (German police exhibition and conference)... And, of course bought another (tactical) flash-light at the Laser Devices booth! :thumbsup:

I also noticed: Zwei-Brueder (LED Lenser), the German SureFire partner, Brite-Strike (expensive!!!), and a few more companies...

Tomcat!

Enlightened
  • Checking in my flash-lights in the luggage. I don't do it anymore. First I risk losing it and second after the US battery requirements, I do not carry anything with or without batteries in my check-in luggage anymore, except my old Sony world-receiver.

Could someone enlighten my ignorance and explain what the US battery requirements are?

:huh2:

loszabo

Enlightened
Could someone enlighten my ignorance and explain what the US battery requirements are?
  • Effective January 1, 2008, you may not pack spare lithium batteries in your checked baggage.
  • You may pack spare lithium batteries in your carry-on baggage. Please see our Spare Battery Tips and How-To sections to find out how to pack spare batteries safely!
  • If you pack a device containing batteries, secure it against activation by locking the activation switch in the "off" position, placing the device in a protective case, or by other appropriate measures.
http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

Last edited:

Tomcat!

Enlightened
  • Effective January 1, 2008, you may not pack spare lithium batteries in your checked baggage.
  • You may pack spare lithium batteries in your carry-on baggage. Please see our Spare Battery Tips and How-To sections to find out how to pack spare batteries safely!
  • If you pack a device containing batteries, secure it against activation by locking the activation switch in the "off" position, placing the device in a protective case, or by other appropriate measures.
http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

Thanks Loszabo. That makes really interesting reading. I was actually a bit surprised as I read further about what sharp objects you can have.

loszabo

Enlightened
Tomorrow I finally return from approx. one week on the road. What did I learn?
  • ... never leave your newest toy at home (OP-9).
  • ... a SF G2ZL can't replace a Gladius.
:eek:

loszabo

Enlightened
Yesterday, I had a weird experience at CDG/Paris. Security took away my Petzl Carbiner mounted to my backpack, as this is "forbidden item" in France. :confused:

Unfortunately I couldn't check it in, as I had nothing to check in... So, a little bit my fault/problem as well.

One hour later, while waiting for my delayed boarding due to CDG inefficiency, a guy walked through security with a golf club in hand... Huh? :shakehead

P.S.: Cutting the head off with a carabiner works only in Hollywood! The golf club is way more efficient for smashing the skull! :p

Last edited: