Trek 7 and Rattling Batteries

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hello All,

I'm a newbie to this site so please forgive me if this question has been previously addressed, but I was wondering if any of you might have dealt with this problem before. I purchased a Trek 7 for my brother and he has reported to me that the batteries rattle when the light is in the off position - to the point that it has damaged the positive terminal on some of his c-cells. Neadless to say, he finds this rather anoying. Do you have any suggestions or home made remedies for this? Frankly, I'm a little dissapointed that a $60 flashlight has this design flaw. Thanks for your help.

- Scooby

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
My Trek 1400 did the same thing; I think all the c cell Treks do- and yes it's disappointing, but not incurable. Stingmon went over this on his review (see that). My solution, which worked fine, was just to try sliding several grades of paper in there with the batteries until reasonable fit was achieved. It doesn't take much to do it and you don't want to jam the batteries too much or getting them back out could be a problem

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lightuser:
My Trek 1400 did the same thing; I think all the c cell Treks do- and yes it's disappointing, but not incurable<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an idea about this, abiet one "borrowed" from another popular light.
But before I disclose it, I need to test it, and I'm not sure when I can buy the parts cause I'm already broke till October. :-O

The "parts" will be found at the drugstore.
(I'm thinking of Doctor Scholl's corn pads here).
Then again, my solution may be sitting eight inches away... let's give this a shot and see what happens.

(cut, cut, cut, slice, mince, dice...)
Well, I dug up my Trek-7, turn it on, then back it off a turn, and sure enough, there it goes... rattle, rattle, rattle.

Open up the light, stick on the mod, and screw it back together.
Ok, the rattle is GONE.and wouldn't you know it, the damn thing still lights.
smile.gif

Wanna know how I did it?
Of course you do... otherwise you'd have never pissed and moaned about the rattle to begin with.

Cheapest route: Find somebody you know who bought an Eternalight which came in a cardboard box (Marine, X-ray, Ergo).

Take out a piece of that foam.
Cut to fit around the base of the LED board, and cut a hole in the middle, so it looks like a doughnut.
Doesn't even have to be perfect, look at the pictures of my quick hack!!

norattle.jpg

When you install the batteries, lay this baby on top, and screw everything together.

When it is screwed down but not enough to light, there will no longer be a rattle of *any* kind, regardless of how hard you shake the crap out of your Trek-7.

This mod does not make it any more difficult to remove the batteries.
And it could conceivably be made out of any insulating, compressible material, even chopped-up cigarette filters if that's all you have handy.