Trespassers

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's amazing how costly it can get when you get 4 flat tires ATV tires from driving over nails in trails which are not on your own property.. Actually I heard that hollow steel tubes put bigger holes in the tires compared to nails..

It would be nice to be able to do that, but at the same time if they get off the 4-wheeler and one goes through the foot, people like to sue you for everything.

My luck would go like this...

On tonights news at 5:30, a man is impaled on stakes that a person put out to stop trespasser from riding thier 4-wheelers on his property.

I don't need this kind of scenario in my life, I have enough drama. :)

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hell Light, please leave. You really have nothing to add here.
mad71.gif

My advice, buy a couple of big attack dogs, keep track of your paper trail with your local police, and, perhaps consult an attorney as to what steps you could take. I like the metal tube through the tires (If they're sharp enough, and the atv is heavy enough, you might also punch through the wheels
broke.gif
). But, you're right, that could be problematic.

:ironic:

My parents both grew up in a relatively rural area. They have also told me that some of the old farmers loaded shotguns with less powder, and rock salt. My uncle said he got shot while crossing a field on his motorbike as a kid, so he stopped. Said "hurt like hell for the next week, and I'm d@mn glad it wasn't actual shot, cause I'd be dead." Still has scars on his lower back.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hell Light, please leave. You really have nothing to add here.
mad71.gif

My parents both grew up in a relatively rural area. They have also told me that some of the old farmers loaded shotguns with less powder, and rock salt. My uncle said he got shot while crossing a field on his motorbike as a kid, so he stopped. Said "hurt like hell for the next week, and I'm d@mn glad it wasn't actual shot, cause I'd be dead." Still has scars on his lower back.

That sounds painful.

The problem with today is that no one respects other peoples property. IMO, gone from today's society is the common sence American.:sigh:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although this is a flashlight forum, making a suggestion for a very high output light might be valid in this situation. A high output HID probably wouldn't "scare" them, but might annoy them enough to take away some of their "fun." Or I could be wrong, and these people could be much more stubborn. Either way, having an HID spotlight couldn't hurt for identifying how many trespassers you have. People tend to not want to be illuminated by a bright beam of light at night, so it could deter them.

Alternatively, you could wire up a 1KW HID bulb and ballast to you house as a flood light (or even with some rudimentary reflector). If the trespassers are near your house, then perhaps 95,000 lumens of white light will discourage them.

Or, you could get a reflector for it, and direct those lumens straight into the forest for some Close Encounters of the Third Kind style intimidation. Most people have probably not been exposed to that level of light, so it could also deter them.
Or, they will think that they are being abducted by aliens.

Greg G

Enlightened
If they are carrying weapons or you hear any shots get the local game warden involved. They're typically more *conscientious* than standard LEO.

lonesouth

Newly Enlightened
I would consider a brick in the hands of an agitated trespasser as a deadly weapon. I would take a camera and a gun next time. If he threatens you, take his picture and press charges for assault and criminal trespass. If he violently objects to you taking his picture, save the taxpayers a bunch of money. I'll reimburse you the $0.40 required.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Well it happened again last night. Upon arriving home at 12:05 I noticed some lights in the woods behind my house. To make a long story short it was the same group of guys that have trespassed previously at all hours of the day and night. One went as far this time to threaten me with a brick that he had picked up from a fire pit that I built.

Now besides calling the police, which I did and warned them several times to stay off my property. What else can I do legally?

I know some of them were drunk and they had two four wheelers to help pull out the electric golf cart that was stuck in the creek.

My two boys play in the woods alot and this has made them uneasy in their own yard.

I know next time I will be carrying the Glock since they have became more aggresive rather than the normal cussing and swearing at me. I did call the Police and they came out took my story and then left and supposedly drove through that neighborhood although I did not see any light go there from my back porch. About 20 minutes later the trespassers went back into the woods and stirred up my dogs in the house. I called the Police again, and of course by the time they made it back out the trespassers were gone again.:banghead:

I am about to place my trail camera back out to try and catch them, but hope that they do not steal it.

Well first call the cops and let them know that this is an ongoing problem. And second try and be as nice as possible to them. Until you said the people threatened you with a brick it sounded like they were just some teenagers trying to have some fun. The reason I say try and be nice is because if they ARE teenagers and you DO **** them off theres always that chance of retaliation.

Carry you glock next time and call the cops BEFORE you leave the house. Unless the kid threatens you again dont even think about pulling the gun out though because that will probably put you in the wrong. And if he does physically threaten you or your family... pull the gun out and give them a warning shot, straight at their ATV's (If they arent too close to them).

lonesouth

Newly Enlightened
pull the gun out and give them a warning shot, straight at their ATV's (If they arent too close to them).

That is about the worst advice I've seen given in this thread. Never pull the trigger unless you intend to kill them. If seeing the gun is not enough to scare them off AND they escalate the situation, either A. Run, or B. shoot one of them. You will not be justified in knowingly missing an attacker, but you will be justified in shooting one. Shooting to scare will be more likely to land you in jail. You are better off confronting them with a shotgun also.

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened

I wonder if ice pellets would survive being fired from a shotgun... or maybe dry ice pellets?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the trail camera is placed high in a tree that would require a ladder to take down, and even then it's not going to be easy. Most of the time they are down there at night and will not be able to notice it anyway. The camera is a stealth model so it uses IR LEDs so no flash when taking pictures at night. :devil:

It's just going to take time before this finally catches up to them.

Sometimes I wish reality could be like cartoons. You smash someone flat with a big hammer, the whole time laughing and then they go back to full size after a few minutes.:crackup:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would consider a brick in the hands of an agitated trespasser as a deadly weapon. I would take a camera and a gun next time. If he threatens you, take his picture and press charges for assault and criminal trespass. If he violently objects to you taking his picture, save the taxpayers a bunch of money. I'll reimburse you the $0.40 required.

Lol

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carry you glock next time and call the cops BEFORE you leave the house. Unless the kid threatens you again dont even think about pulling the gun out though because that will probably put you in the wrong. And if he does physically threaten you or your family... pull the gun out and give them a warning shot, straight at their ATV's (If they arent too close to them).

Just so everyone knows, THESE people are not kids or teenagers, just a bunch of misfit PITA's.

Empath

Flashaholic
Since you know where they live, gather some of your rowdy friends together for a party night in their yard.

Just a thought

npkeith

Newly Enlightened
It would be nice to be able to do that, but at the same time if they get off the 4-wheeler and one goes through the foot, people like to sue you for everything.

My luck would go like this...

On tonights news at 5:30, a man is impaled on stakes that a person put out to stop trespasser from riding thier 4-wheelers on his property.

I don't need this kind of scenario in my life, I have enough drama. :)
What if you spread some caltrops and hung a few cables at chest height (make'm steel that is thick enough to need bolt-cutters) and then posted (along with the no tresspassing signs) WARNING! THIS AREA CONTAMINATED WITH SHARP METAL, AND STEEL CABLES. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!"
Hey - You warned them it was dangerous.

Also, if you catch them on your property with bolt cutters, then they are carrying burglary tools and it goes to intent to commit a crime.

macemagnus

Newly Enlightened
It is enlightening (sorry) to read this thread as a non-American. In my native Sweden (God-hating, commie-loving, etc, etc :wave:)
But seriously... Living in a country that has a long tradition of the right of public access
http://www.naturvardsverket.se/en/In-English/Menu/Enjoying-nature/The-right-of-public-access/
makes me think that everyonein Sweden should think twice about what's so easily taken for granted.
There are pros & cons in whatever country we happen to live in, so i for one will appreciate that that is good and work to change that that is not.

Does this help You with those :poke:idiots...I don't think so, but I think You helped me a bit:thumbsup:

+1 for a speedy solution!!!

All the BEST!
/Magnus

Billy Ram

Enlightened
Arround here unauthorized intry into someones property is a crime and first offences carry a stiff fine. If a fence or gate is breached it's a felony bringing prison sentences and lose of rights. Laws are very differant in other parts of the country but here you have a right to protect your life and property. Tresspassing arround here's not tollerated thank goodness.
Billy