Tri-EDC that only runs 16340

Wurkkos

25Brix

Newly Enlightened
Just received a used but mint Tri-EDC that will only accept a 16340. An 18350 is too large to enter the battery tube. Anyone ever heard of this?

I've got an email in to the seller but wondered if anyone here would know why a tri-edc would be built that won't accept Mac's preferred battery.

Cheers and thanks!!

Mike

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
Yes, the older versions of Macs flashlights were originally bored for 16mm-sized cells .... Later (and current) models accept 18mm-sized batteries.

I am not certain, but this changed maybe sometime around 2012 ?

Last edited:

25Brix

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Is there any better choice than 16340 in this version?

Was the light engine any different in the older versions, as in more optimized for 16340 vs the newer lights?

Are there any runtime and output stats for the older version floating around?

Any idea which emitters were used?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Not sure what you mean by "Is there any better choice than 16340 in this version". Do you mean is there a cell that has higher capacity than a 16340 but the same size? If so, then no there is not. You can either get a li-ion 16340 which has the same mah rating as an 18350 but with a reduced max current draw, or go with an IMR 16340 for similar current max draw but with a reduced mah rating.

The very first tri-edcs used the light engine from Lux-RC which was led and driver built into one mcpcb. It's the same engine used in the Torchlabs triple P60 dropins. The benefit with that module is it can take 2 li-ion cells or 1 li-ion cell, so it was versatile with battery configurations. The problem with those light engines is that you need to have dual cells to get maximum performance and of course the tri-edc can only accommodate for 1 cell. After a brief stint, Mac switched over to using the more traditional tri-led mcpcb with a 7135 2.8a driver.

The first tri-edcs mostly came with xpg (neutral or cool). I say mostly because Mac did accommodate for custom orders, so there may be some earlier tri-edcs with something else other than xpg. The later tri-edcs had more of a variety of configurations ranging from xpg, xpe, nichia 219, xpg2.

jkid1911

Enlightened
I would like to suggest that you stick with an IMR16340 as I believe this is the safest of the 16mm rechargeables. Hopefully those more in the know will chime in on this. Good Luck and nice catch..! How about posting some pics?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I was just thinking, you could send the body to Barry at Precisionworks to have him bore it out for an 18350. Not very difficult at all. There's definitely enough material in the body to do so. I once had an sst50 edc that I sent back to Mac to bore out for an 18350. Oh how I miss that light.

25Brix

Newly Enlightened
y5e6udud.jpg
vynaru7u.jpg
ery2ujys.jpg

This light was in "like new" condition when I received it and as you can see it's taken on a nice patina and received a few "love" marks during it's few week edc.

I'm running the IMR16340 batteries and am happy with performance so far. I like the idea that this light is different than the current offerings, has no memory (starts on high) and now that it's not mint I think I'll just happily carry and use it. I'll probably order a new one in Ti.

Great light! Thanks all for the history and advice!

Last edited:

Latest posts