Tri-V Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine arrived safely. I tried to catch the FedEx guy but he was able to avoid me all day long:crackup:. My first impression in #$%^% you have to be kidding me. WOW what a light. So I was in my wifes office looking at the light and I turned it on to show one of her co-workers. It seemed pretty bright. Granted the room had the lights on and sun shining in the window. So I pulled out my Titanium Chameleon with an up graded P7 and turned that on to compare. Ok Ok OK Ok Ok Ok the Chameleon is really bright when it is dark out. Well the Tri-V, kind of dominated it, without ajusting the levels.:D Right then I told my wife that I'm going to have to buy another:kiss:. The flood is out standing and the reflector is just as impressive. I am just blown away what this light can do. The Aspherical put's a nice holy #$^ it's bright hotspot on the wall.

I was thinking about messing with the levels tonight and I was reading up on the process, but I'm going to hold back for a few days and give the stock version a workout. I'll up date when I use it at night or early in the morning.

I like to give hugs and Dave your going to get one when we meet, if it's alright with you;)

Heres some quick pictures and I better get back to work:green:

DSCN1601.jpg

DSCN1599.jpg

DSCN1602.jpg

DSCN1597.jpg

DSCN1598.jpg

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeez Chip, the 007 pack you've got seem to multiply like rabbits!!! WOW!

14bkfpu.jpg

First Impressions:

(Sorry I haven't been able to wait until it gets dark enough for outside use folks. I'm in the basement for this testing/using phase!)

1. Weight—I measured 158 grams for the Tri-V and 150 for the 007 Cree. That's with the (recommended) two Surefire batteries installed. I used a Soehnle digital kitchen scale and your weigh may vary somewhat. I sure can't tell any difference in my hand.

2. Thickness--Apparently there is a 0.2" increase in thickness of the Tri-V over the 007. I can't tell that difference from my 007s mainly due to the fact that I find I am holding the Tri-V differently in my hand—with the knob in the down position vs. my usual hold of my 005s and 007s with the knob in the up position. Whatever floats your boat in terms of a firm grasp however. The Tr—V does feel more secure in my hand with this knob-down hold however…and possibly due to the three-head configuration.

3. Machining and Appearance---typical highest quality machining of the titanium as on all of the 007s---crisp cuts and a matte finish (I call it) the lines of the cuts giving a brushed finish. From my view (and I'm a VERY picky custom knife collector as well as flashlight nut), flawless.

4. On low level (and first click of the knob) there is a light orange glow as if from a fire—as Data has indicated. This warm color is perfect for very low background light levels---getting up in the middle of the night to "investigate" the new bathrooms, see what's up with that backyard howling or, tread down the path remaining discrete from the attention of those pesky Hickory Run State Park Black Bears!

5. Next three steps up are the areas where I will find the majority of my use of this light—increasing intensities of a reflector-based XP-G. Warmer than my Cree 007, just enough to give the true colors of object at night and with just enough intensity variation for illuminating 75% of whatever I desire to be looking at a moderate distance. At click 2 and 15mA, closer objects well illuminated with a distinct hotspot at the center and then, rapidly decreasing intensity toward the perimeter. As we progress two more clicks and intensities we reach 800mA and note a very slight fall-off of intensity in the very center of the hotspot (comparing it to the 15mA and 80mA levels) in the direct center with decreasing intensity (again) as we reach the perimeter. I compared the hotspot with my Cree 007 for this "test"—great woods path light use IMHO.

6. Next click and once again we have the MC-E in play. A most notable flood once again but now at 1000mA! Just as carrying a lantern—or the campfire--right with you! Soon (a few hours) I'll have the ability to refresh my thoughts of use of this light at one of the campouts I attended when Dave so kindly (but oh so briefly!) loaned me his for a brief taste….err….test, TEST! This is a perfect illuminator for the campfire area long after the fire is cooled, just perfect!

7. Last but certainly not least, the XR-E sittin' just behind an aspheric lens! Wow and I mean WOW! I'm a well known soft sell for throw lights and this one, in this "cool" (color) LED (Cool Fall????) casts a Keystone shape area of illumination in accord with the shape of the dye. Now, I can't test it very well right now being limited by the length of my basement but, through personal use at Hickory Run (remember that brief "taste"??) I can tell you that reaching out…REALLY reaching out for that long distance object, coupled with the distinct edges the cool color provides gives the user tremendous lighting distance at 1000mA with click number six.

8. More to come...

Karl

ShortArc

Enlightened
First of all Dave, let me congratulate you on a job really really well done!

The Tri-V arrived safe and sound and I am finally home to play with it.
You can forget about me stepping through programming for at least a day or so, as the light is way too much fun to play with as is.

I also think it is much more important to look for product inconsistencies and assembly flaws. To accomplish this with a somewhat meaningful statistical average, I suggest we all receive an additional 2 lights for rigorous examination. Next week would be fine, no hurry :nana:

Joking aside, you have an amazing illumination machine here!

More later….
Cheers,
Willem.

crizyal

Enlightened
Oh MAN I really want (NEED) one of these! This is simply incredible. I think that I would have to give up my wife if I were to buy one though. ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE! lovecpf :twothumbs :broke:

Edit: I would sell every light I own for one of these! Sadly it wouldn't be enough...

Hey anyone wanna buy some third rate lights.

Last edited:

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave...you can be proud of your accomplishment! The lights look beautiful, as I knew they would.

I am going to find a way to get one of these, somehow. I really don't want to get rid of my 007 either, because I said I never would.

Whatever it takes...anyone need their windows cleaned, or car washed? :D

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's all about finding the right market. There are people who own watches that cost $5k and up. Purchasing a $3.2K flashlight wouldn't be out of their reach. I'm sure many will sell here, but some will sell outside of CPF. That, you can count on:thumbsup:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
In that case I doubt you will sell many outside CPF... :whistle:

Mr B@rt,

You're an Admin....Comments like that could be taken as trashing a thread.:thinking::poke:

Think about how many people will pay $10,000 for a watch!...theres a market for luxury items and people who will buy them.

just sayin..

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr B@rt,

You're an Admin....Comments like that could be taken as trashing a thread.:thinking::poke:

Think about how many people will pay $10,000 for a watch!...theres a market for luxury items and people who will buy them.

just sayin..

No kidding....WOW

Last edited by a moderator:

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr B@rt,

just sayin..

^^^^^^
+10,000%

Time to give Kelly a call. :ohgeez:

GLOCK18

Enlightened
Hell I recently spent 50k on a LANGE ZEITWERK, so 2k for this light is a deal, I'm in line for one, please send it to me now.:wave:

gtwace

Enlightened
I looked through the programming video a few times. Would like to know if the programming will work when the battery is low, or what will happen if the battery runs out of juice during programming.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked through the programming video a few times. Would like to know if the programming will work when the battery is low, or what will happen if the battery runs out of juice during programming.

Great question. Just as it was with the 007, it is with the Tri-V as well, if the battery can not handle what is being asked of it, the calibration will fail. In that case you simply observe that the calibration failed and either retry with more powerful batteries or you reduce the current you are asking for.

But there is more to this situation. The big question for the Tri-V is what can a normal medium capacity primary battery handle? It depends on the particular scenario and the Vf of all the emitters.

Consider the case where all three emitters are enabled and the user sets the current at the maximum 3000mA. This will fail calibration unless you have rechargeable batteries in the light.

Consider the case where the spot emitter is enabled and the user sets the current at the maximum 2000mA. This will fail calibration unless you have rechargeable batteries in the light. At 1500mA this will work with primary batteries.

Consider the case where the flood emitter is enabled and the user sets the current at the maximum 2000mA. This will work with fairly strong primary batteries. Because the Vf of the MC-E is lower than the XR-E and not because it is a newer emitter either, it is because the MC-E has four XR-E die in parallel!

I do not know yet what the limits of all the various combinations are. That is one of the questions we need to answer.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.