Trick-My-Truck crew gets some led lights

steve_vance

Enlightened
This is an interesting story. I'm not really a "country-music" guy, but CMT has this really neat series, where they pick a really needy trucker and his family, and completely renovate his big-rig truck. I mean the works. They spend $85,000-$100,000 on each project. In many cases, it's a real lifesaver for the family. Often, they've had a lot of medical problems, or suffered the death of a spouse. The rehab is done by a team of guys who call themselves The Chrome Shop Mafia. Tough-looking guys that look like a cross between Hell's Angels and truckers. So, I admit, I'm a fan! Often, I watch the episodes and cry big tears.
Anyway, I went to the series' website, and by hook or crook, mostly hook, I found out where all this takes place. So I called Bryan, the owner of 4-State Trucks, and told him how much I enjoy the show; we talked for about half an hour.Where it went was that they do this work for almost nothing.... all the parts are donated. I told him I'd like to "give something back" as a fan... asked him how many in his crew (7)... and would they like it if I sent them each a really good led flashlight? He said yes, that would be great.
So I called up my friend Matt at Batteryjunction, and asked for his ideas. Ended up sending the three boss-guys each Olight T20s, and the other guys (who said they wanted something crazy-bright) got the new 5-watt Edison KLC8-powered lights from LED Wholesalers. A well-made, direct-drive Photon Hose. The audio guy on the crew, Rob, said I'd probably see them on the show "cuz he would be shining his in everyone's face". He said he is an LED freak; almost never uses incandescent lights on the trucks,

LOOKS LIKE CMT TRICK-MY-TRUCK SHOW HAS 7 NEW FLASHAHOLICS!!!

I sent them CPF's web address, and told them where to get CR-123s. Can't wait for their reports! Pretty soon they'll be LED-addicted like us :)

Cool, huh?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Excellent, Steve! Yeah, you've probably just minted several new flashaholics! :goodjob:

I caught an episode of that show and it was neat. I saw the one where they painted the rig black and placed an EKG-like "pulse" logo on the sides. The receipient was blown away and grateful. I'm sure it made a huge, positive impact on his life.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way to go Steve! I like that show as well, and it'll be cool to know there'll be some lights donated by a fellow CPF'er.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a nice piece of public service you've done. Pretty soon CMT will hire you to scam free parts from the manufacturers for the TV show. ;-)

TMorita

Enlightened
What we really need is a TV show about flashlight modding.

Hey, they have shows about house modding, car modding, motorcycle modding...why not flashlights?

Toshi

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's very generous of you. I'm not a country guy at all, but I like to watch that show, too. (I do like Carrie Underwood, though!) I sort of think they go overboard with some of the gimmicky mods they do to the trucks. though. They seem to follow the same type of mod-stylings as "Pimp My Ride." Personally, I think a lot of the old men would be happier if their truck was tricked in the style of "Overhaulin'," instead.