Triple Luxeon Star Yard Light

ElektroLumens

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often do little projects that are not related to something to sell, and here is one. I felt is it more appropriate to post here than in my own Elektro Lumens forum.

I had some greenie 1W Luxeon Stars, and wanted to make some sort of light for my front yard. I used a large flat heat sink, with large 3" sink fins on the back (4). I bolted this to a 2" by 18" aluminum plate. I mounted three 1W Luxeon Stars, with LXHL-NX05 optics and optics holders. I wired them in series. I am using a 12 volt 1000mA wall power supply, and a 2.2 ohm 5W resistor (I sell from my web site).

Here's a pic:

TripleLux_Yard_Light.1.jpg

It's pretty bright, lighting up my yard sufficiently. Very energy efficient.

There are many applications for Luxeon Stars, besides flashlights. An energy efficient yard light is one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wayne

FalconFX

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Wayne, if you can bend the aluminum plate or cut it into semi-sheets so they can be bent from side to side, you can actually place 3 different LSs in three different directions (60 degree seperations) for a more effective area light...

Rothrandir

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice!

that's a great way to dispose of greenish luxeons, you probably don't even notice the color!

did you do anything to ensure waterproofness, or do you think the overhang should be sufficient?

ElektroLumens

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
very nice!

that's a great way to dispose of greenish luxeons, you probably don't even notice the color!

did you do anything to ensure waterproofness, or do you think the overhang should be sufficient?

[/ QUOTE ]

It actually started out as a light that would be in the laundry room, over the washing machine in the garage. But I decided to make it a yard light. It is not waterproof, so it is under the overhang of the house, which should protect it from moisture. Water wouldn't really harm it anyway. The switch and power supply are far away and protected from water.

The greenish color is fine outside.

I might also do a yard light with a cyan 5W, which would not use any optics. I might go with cyan, and RB. One 5W will light up the yard quite nicely. This is for a night time yard light, not intended for outside activities, but just to elektroluminate the yard for security and aestetics (spelling).

Wayne

I

iddibhai

Enlightened
hah, moreno valley, just noticed your location.. 'bout half hour from me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BEAMSHOTS!

snuffy

snuffy

Enlightened
It's also an obsession of mine but not only when I'm stargazing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It looks like they are pretty well shielded by the roof overhang.
That's a lot more than most yard lights.

ElektroLumens

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lasernerd said:
Where can I get a handfull of those LED`s and how much?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have started selling Luxeon Stars. I only have the 1W lambertian on the star (LXHL-MW1D), and I also have the 5W on the star (LXHL-LW6C).

In this project, I used up some of the white 1W bare emitters I have on hand, that were off color (greenish) and not suitable for a flashlight. It is not waterproof, but it is not hard to make one that is. I plan to use royal blue 5W and cyan 5W LS's, and put them around my house for energy efficient night lighting.

Solar power would be a good idea. Let the sun charge up the batteries each day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wayne

H

Hemingray

Enlightened
There's someone on Ebay selling 16 white Luxeon stars for $96, ($108 thru buy-it-now), that seems pretty cheap. he also has 1W SEs from time to time. They are in the $10-12 range.

/ed B in NH

ElektroLumens

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lasernerd said:
I would like to get the ones that are off color,
Where can I find some?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have some you can have reasonably priced. Send me an email: [email protected]

Wayne j