• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Triple v5 R33 Engine - 4th LED, 30w limit, Screen Programable, Dual Mode Groups

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
My iOS devices thank you for the link. [emoji41]

"Ahhh, thats not a server problem but a browser problem. iOS Safari doesn't allow saving of videos. Please install another browser and try again. This one, for example, allows you to save videos right from the screen for playback and even loading them into your camera roll, without a PC:

File Manager and Browser - Files App by ColorfulApp

https://appsto.re/us/fk13E.i"

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Re: v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

Are there any plans for a single cell driver?

If not, would a regular FET driver fit if someone were to mod it ;) ?
v5 is an integrated (LEDs+driver) board and is part of what makes BOSSs small size possible.
Accordingly, space under the optic is limited and may not support other options.

Single 18350 can't reliably support 10 amps needed for full output. Meanwhile, 18650 isn't usefully shorter than 2x18350. Leaving runtime as the potential advantage, but FET is less efficient, reducing runtime gains.

What is your goal?

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast

v5 is an integrated (LEDs+driver) board and is part of what makes BOSSs small size possible.
Accordingly, space under the optic is limited and may not support other options.

Single 18350 can't reliably support 10 amps needed for full output. Meanwhile, 18650 isn't usefully shorter than 2x18350. Leaving runtime as the potential advantage, but FET is less efficient, reducing runtime gains.

What is your goal?

Gotcha - so one MIGHT be able to replace the board with a quad and single cell driver if there were room.
:):):)

Replacing two cells in the field is more difficult and even with efficiency loss a single 3500mah 18650 still has better runtimes - especially in medium modes.
18350 cells require using a charger with spacers or a slider as well...

That said - I think one of these would be my ideal light and they are beautiful (I'm not trying to be critical) I just personally prefer single cell lights.

Some dummies (like me) think they can improve upon perfection hehhe.

Always a fan & still rock my EG bored C2 & my zerorez shorty.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just personally prefer single cell lights.

Always a fan & still rock my EG bored C2 & my zerorez shorty.

I bought the combo & so far I've only run 1x18650 in the 70 body, generally prefer 18650 format. Haven't needed to go to H, light hasn't got hot in the last two days, but I know I can push it...

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gotcha - so one MIGHT be able to replace the board with a quad and single cell driver if there were room.
:):):)

Replacing two cells in the field is more difficult and even with efficiency loss a single 3500mah 18650 still has better runtimes - especially in medium modes.
Why not just use this driver with an 18650? Up to 2000 lumens from an 18650 while also being more efficient than FET drivers giving even better runtimes out of a single 18650. A large portion of the price of this light is the light engine.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why not just use this driver with an 18650? Up to 2000 lumens from an 18650 while also being more efficient than FET drivers giving even better runtimes out of a single 18650. A large portion of the price of this light is the light engine.

Why buy a Ferrari if u can only press the throttle 2/3rds of the way? :)

I wouldn't bother posting in this thread if I didn't love the form factor so much - it's a beautiful light.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wouldn't bother posting in this thread if I didn't love the form factor so much - it's a beautiful light.

Even with two cells, the lack of capacity will yield a short duration of the really high lumens, as well as getting hot. You are going to get stepped down whether one or two cells, the two cells offering a short burst of brighter light. We all have priorities and this series offers choices without defying physics and/or current technology.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can get 3000 lumens out of a single 18650, or 5250 lumens using dual 18350's using a FET driver? I haven't seen anyone getting much more output than the 371 driver is capable of.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,
I dig Oveready's products and am not trying to be critical of them :)

I just prefer to use one type of cell and that's a single 18650 & was hoping there might be a chance to fit a driver that's optimized for that.

The regular old single cell FET driver out there that I have in my quad p60 allows for direct drive on max which is about 3500 lumens.
I realize that's with a quad but same principle would go for the triple.

Maybe someone will get their hands on one of these and mod it with a new driver that allows direct drive on a single cell.

Maybe it won't fit - THAT would be defying physics :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The driver assembly's programmability and flexibility are awesome attributes of these lights. I've got other triples, but they're inferior to my Wasps in many ways.

Now that BOSS has been released, what's the current estimate for bare board availability for us v4.1 (or whatever that designation is) Wasp owners?

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,
I dig Oveready's products and am not trying to be critical of them :)
I didn't think you were trying to be critical of them, and I may have seemed to come off harsh. I didn't realize a single 18650 could produce that. I've only seen them. Put out just over 2000 lumens with a single 18650 on a triple.

I would imagine a FET driver would fit, maybe even the H17F. You could also sell this driver for a quite a bit to bring the cost down.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I just prefer to use one type of cell and that's a single 18650 & was hoping there might be a chance to fit a driver that's optimized for that.
Every design is a balance of factors. We build each v5 from scratch and can choose from available components when doing so. We skipped over FET in favor of components with features higher on our priority list. But our ideal balance cannot be everyones ideal balance. In this case, there isn't currently an option to have safety*, efficiency, voltage versatility, and max watts/low volts in the same package. But I'll keep your goals in mind.

In the mean time, it should be possible to ship you a BOSS with no driver. Just drop us a line.

*its easy to make a driver that ignores a struggling battery to provide solid output, but it can also push that battery to far

The driver assembly's programmability and flexibility are awesome attributes of these lights. I've got other triples, but they're inferior to my Wasps in many ways.

Now that BOSS has been released, what's the current estimate for bare board availability for us v4.1 (or whatever that designation is) Wasp owners?
Been chatting with Serge about boosting production. It should be possible to start upgrades early next year.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
EDIT: Managed to work out how to enter the 111 PIN to check the batteries.

Since mine has two batteries in series, does it do each battery separately?

Its doing 4 white flashes followed by one red flash (4.1V?) and keeps repeating this until I turn it off.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
EDIT: Managed to work out how to enter the 111 PIN to check the batteries.
Great news. 9 times out of 10, when a pin doesn't work, longer pauses are needed between digits.

Since mine has two batteries in series, does it do each battery separately?
The board reports what it can see/detect. In the case series batteries, it reads the total voltage then divides by two. If one cell is at 2.6v and one cell is at 2.8, it will flash out 2.7v. So enough information to know when to recharge a cell but not enough to know when to retire one.

Its doing 4 white flashes followed by one red flash (4.1V?) and keeps repeating this until I turn it off.
This is correct. •••• • •••• • •••• • is 4.1, a typical level off of a CC/CV charger.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Which size/type of cells is table C referring to in the 1st post?
Oops, left off the footnotes. Fixed!
All values based on 18350/800, multiply up for larger cells (see footnotes for formulas)
All values worst case, all safeties turned off for shortest possible result.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Oops, left off the footnotes. Fixed!
All values based on 18350/800, multiply up for larger cells (see footnotes for formulas)
All values worst case, all safeties turned off for shortest possible result.

Thanks. I assumed that the figures must have related to 18350s, but wanted to make sure. :thumbsup:

grunt soldier

Newly Enlightened
1x18650 + 2xCR123 Safe added to section G, for 70mm lights when 2 cells is always CR123/primaries

Thank you sir. You guys are awesome! Great for folks in a pinch who need to drop a couple cr123s in and Charlie mike. Still not sure I understand how to program it but I'm going to try it out lol

jdboy

Enlightened
Thank you sir. You guys are awesome! Great for folks in a pinch who need to drop a couple cr123s in and Charlie mike. Still not sure I understand how to program it but I'm going to try it out lol

You'll love it, if you need any programming help just give me a shout.