Wurkkos

Tritium slot machining

Status
Not open for further replies.

medieval

Re: Tritium slot machining & installation

Barry milled a few Surefire C2's for me to include two 2.5 x 24 mm green trits. He also milled the end of a Lummi Raw Al for two extra ice blue trits. I can't say enough about the work he did. I'm sorry it took me so long to post these pics Barry.

c232d20b.jpg

9dd9e71d.jpg

6fd34583.jpg

bltkmt

This is/was awesome...I have two of these glasses that NEED this treatment.

I guess I am not clear why this cannot be done on an Aeon? I see you doing it to seemingly much smaller lights on this thread...is there something odd about the Aeon construction?

precisionworks

Barry milled a few Surefire C2's for me to include two 2.5 x 24 mm green trits. He also milled the end of a Lummi Raw Al for two extra ice blue trits. I can't say enough about the work he did. I'm sorry it took me so long to post these pics Barry.
Thank you for your kind words. No apologies needed, your images are waaaay better than those I've taken :) Thanks for posting those.

... I am not clear why this cannot be done on an Aeon?
Perhaps slots can be milled somewhere on the Aeon but I've studied mine extensively & cannot find enough depth anywhere. The Aeon is like a super model, not a bit of fat anywhere. Many lights are overbuilt (McGizmo & Surefire for instance). Others are pared down as much as possible. I'll be happy to mill slots where ever you want but they may compromise the integrity of the light.

precisionworks

I've finally decided to stop offering Norland installation of your trit vials.

Why? Two reasons ... I don't enjoy doing the Norland installations & it is not profitable because my standards are unrealistically high. Since I will not consider lowering my standards the only choice is to stop offering this service.

Please don't get me wrong, I thoroughly like the machining work but Norland is not machining. My new high power UV curing lamp will sell quickly on eBay & someone else on CPF will be happy to do this work.

Thanks in advance to everyone here & I hope all of you will understand why this service is no longer available.

gunga

Just curious. When installing trits in a haiku tail, facing front to back (like you Mac Edc), does it fit 1.55x6mm trits, or is 5mm better?

precisionworks

... When installing trits in a Haiku tail, facing front to back (like you Mac Edc), does it fit 1.55x6mm trits, or is 5mm better?

The Haiku doesn't work well with front to back slotting in the tail. The issue is the O-ring groove that water proofs the switch & retains the rubber switch boot. The groove is located close enough to the surface that a trit slot will cut into the groove. The red dashed line shows where the groove starts:

Image-9853934-171119253-2-Web_0_d700e90f8574f7aa130c40be164c3ef3_1

From the outside:

Image-9853934-171119597-2-Web_0_9bc91d79ae27beb5c8c7897f5af4e3f6_1

Mac's EDC doesn't have an O-ring in that location so the slots can go front to back:

Image-9853934-155749882-2-Web_0_7621d57402bb0bc8a5f148d67672873b_1

To answer your question, either the 5mm or 6mm length works fine in a Haiku as long as the orientation is like the first two images.

Launch Mini

Have you had a chance to look at a SPY007, in particular, is there enough metal in the grooves of the Rail Adaptor? There are 3 grooves in there, I have glued a small trit there now, but it does stick out past the protective bits. If it could be recessed a tiny bit, that would be an awesome place to place 3 trits.

precisionworks

... is there enough metal in the grooves of the Rail Adaptor? There are 3 grooves in there ...

Holding my 007 in hand as we speak & just removed the battery compartment cover. No easy way to measure this but IMO the remaining thickness is close to 0.00000"

I wouldn't try it on my own light & I certainly wouldn't try it on yours.

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Holding my 007 in hand as we speak & just removed the battery compartment cover. No easy way to measure this but IMO the remaining thickness is close to 0.00000"

I wouldn't try it on my own light & I certainly wouldn't try it on yours.

Thanks for such a quick reply. Mine has been "exposed" for a while now with no ill effects ( ie not broken).

gunga

To answer your question, either the 5mm or 6mm length works fine in a Haiku as long as the orientation is like the first two images.

Hmmmmmm. I saw this sales thread and figured the trit vials were 5mm. Do you think the wall tickness will be too thin at the o-ring groove?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...installed-by-Jeff-Hanko&highlight=haiku+trits

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/...5-B7EA-DF9BF1D189FF-2974-0000033935ACA576.jpg

Your image is too large and has been replaced with a link. Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

mohanjude

Mike

The thickness is 4.25mm. Trit slots need to be around 1.65mm. So you got nearly a spare 2mm. Looking at that groove for the O ring it looks less than 1mm in depth. It is difficult to meassure the depth of the groove but it looks very shallow and you can just about feel it.

So it should be possible to slot the trits in both orientations.

mohanjude

6mm should fit. On my Tri EDC I fitted 2x6mm trits instead of 1.5x6mm . The jumbo trits look better. This might be pushing it on the haiku but given the thickness of 4.25mm it is something worth exploring.

Launch Mini

I did hear back fram Dave. He said there is enough metal in the grooves of a Spy to machine it for trits between the slots of the rail adapter area.

Now to get brave enough to do this. Would the light need to be dismantled?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.