True cost to run EV like paying $17.33 per gallon if not for $22 billion in government subsidies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
1) a car is only as safe at the idiot driving it.

2) CPF has this marvelous invention called "ignore".

3) EV mandates are not about saving the planet, they're about control and wealth.

Now I'm going to side with someone here about the big car makers. I have faith in the future for Toyota and Honda. Maybe even Hyundai. But most of the rest are stubborn and only think about the right now profit margin. Gotta have growth to keep those investors happy. Never mind you're plane is low on fuel and headed for a giant storm. Nope, gotta cut costs ya know. Unions demanding 50% raises because the CEO's make 8 figures..... the EV mandates are the iceburg and car makers are the Titanic running a slalom course through a mine field of iceburgs at full speed.

Trouble is, when their bubble bursts Uncle Sam will bail them out. Too many jobs at stake. The ripple effect of the big 3 in the US going under would be such a massive scale many communities across America would never recover.

Case in point, a big factory across the river from my town closed in the 80's. At first it didn't seem so bad. Yeah, the nearby mom and pop store closed, then a few restaraunts, big deal right? But in 10 years commerce in that once bussling community was gone. Gone. Dead. Whole sections of town were vacant. A big mall, gone. There's a Food Lion where there used to be a giant mall. Hotels, gone. Restaraunts, other factories including a big name soda maker. Million dollar homes vacant street after street. Etc etc. Wanna buy a Rolax watch or some H, yeah they got plenty of that now.

The gubment stepped in around 2012 and injected cash into urban renewal areas. All that led to was more subsidized housing. 'Cause, you know even drug dealers need a home.

I don't ignore the guy who hales from the Frisco Bay. He actually has some good points on occasion. I do however skim over the stale rhetoric like somebody trying to convine me Pepsi is better than Coke because these studies or those charts and graphs say so.
Pepsi has the Tesla Semi.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Based on what calculations, by what person/organisation? Or is it just a guesstimate?
The average American commute is about 27 minutes. While people in many industries were able to start working from home during the pandemic, recouping their travel time, nearly half of U.S. workers kept devoting a good chunk of their day — sometimes an hour or more — to being in transit.Nov 6, 2023

Care to wager a bet on that? Tesla is able to dump out a lot of cars due to using the "go green!" think but it doesn't matter if they aren't treating their employees well, and that in turn affects all of their areas of work.
Tesla employees are well compensated. They don't want a union. However that said I am a member of the musicians union because everyone knows that musicians are having fun and have day jobs, in the real world.
Efficiency not in cost, but how far you can go. Batteries are heavy and if you want to go even further you need to add an even heavier battery which in turn affects other parts negatively. Add cold to that and your total net distance sinks like a rock.
The range loss is calculable and can be predicted.
Initial cost isn't the entire cost, considering how few authorised Tesla repair centers we have and how much they charge for issues which are sadly quite common you'll rack up a way larger cost compared to issues affecting a regular ICE.
Speculation Based on fear.

You don't know the entire chain of producing an EV.
Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Exxon, Gulf of Mexico, still leaking.
No, 82% of new cars sold, due to making it prohobitively expensive to buy an ICE. That's not choosing, that's forcing, which even with their network of chargers still isn't enough to have an effective infrastructure. The claims made by state officials in this matter are claims made because politicians can't see more than their own entrails from having their head so far up their arses.
Maybe they care more for the health of the people. ICE cars produce poison.
A battery for an EV runs on average 5-6 years, what do you suggest is done with the car after that?
Maybe hybrids. My 2013 Leaf with 95k still gets 60 miles at 80%charge. My son is happily driving it in the snow of Portland Oregon, keeping him off his bicycle in bad weather. EPA of that car is 84 miles.
They have it, but they also require completely different charging stations and batteries used in their cars, they don't work with the EVs being sold here today with the regular cells.

I'd like to get some numbers on how it's fully capable and where that extra power would be coming from without cutting off power to other utilities currently.
My cars stat 32 amps while charging. My service is 200 amps. I don't see a problem.
I refer back to the other point about slavery here, which regardless of what you say about the current technology it isn't renewable, it still requires massive amounts of new natural resources compared to being able to use existing resources .
Oil production is dirtier.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
No, 82% of new cars sold, due to making it prohobitively expensive to buy an ICE. That's not choosing, that's forcing, which even with their network of chargers still isn't enough to have an effective infrastructure. The claims made by state officials in this matter are claims made because politicians can't see more than their own entrails from having their head so far up their arses.
Yes absolutely. And don't forget that they fund this EV extravaganza by exporting oil. So they are just exporting the problem like so many hypocrites around the world.

LRJ88

Enlightened
The average American commute is about 27 minutes. While people in many industries were able to start working from home during the pandemic, recouping their travel time, nearly half of U.S. workers kept devoting a good chunk of their day — sometimes an hour or more — to being in transit.Nov 6, 2023
Average, which means pretty much f* all considering averages aren't taking into account more than just the average of a large amount of people commuting, as mentioned there half of the US workers spent an hour or more in transit. This isn't taking into account actual distance either.
Tesla employees are well compensated. They don't want a union. However that said I am a member of the musicians union because everyone knows that musicians are having fun and have day jobs, in the real world.

Oh yes, they love it.
The range loss is calculable and can be predicted.
Just because you can calculate them it doesn't remove them as a factor.
Speculation Based on fear.
My co-worker has a Tesla, he had to send it 4 hours away for repairs with no definite time limit, and at an unknown price for his current issue. Do please stop defending something and throw out buzzwords because you aren't up to date with the situation at hand.
Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Exxon, Gulf of Mexico, still leaking.
Just because we already have one issue it doesn't mean we should add another one.
Maybe they care more for the health of the people. ICE cars produce poison.

Not to mention the various chemicals spewed into the air currently to charge EVs in the form of burning fossile fuel at various charging stations etc.
Maybe hybrids. My 2013 Leaf with 95k still gets 60 miles at 80%charge. My son is happily driving it in the snow of Portland Oregon, keeping him off his bicycle in bad weather. EPA of that car is 84 miles.
Are you suggesting the car be turned into a hybrid after the lifetime of its battery has reached a cut-off point, or am i misinterpreting your statement?
My cars stat 32 amps while charging. My service is 200 amps. I don't see a problem.
You have one car. If one car takes 32A and you end up with millions of cars, most of them charging overnight because that's when power's the cheapest, what do you reckon happens to the power consumption?
Oil production is dirtier.
Oil production usually doesn't result in more slavery, saying it's dirtier doesn't invalidate the point that what's being used is essentially slave labour in order to get enough minerals in order to create new components for EVs, and considering the push towards EVs now that demand isn't going down.

Image.jpg

leeholaaho

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to get some numbers on how it's fully capable and where that extra power would be coming from without cutting off power to other utilities currently
Start with two million solar panels going up at the four corners area. Plenty of power will be available.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're the one who brought up the wall.....
You couldn't tell I knew full well I was being inappropriate with that Clint Eastwood image?

It is tragic how people think they can build walls/fences to solve their problems. October 7th 2023

Children traumatized on that day and the ongoing aftermath will continue to perpetuate hate.

Back to the political bickering.

Last edited:

mrfixitman

Enlightened
A gallon of energy for my car costs $6.27. 19¢ per kwh. With that gallon of energy my car can go 130 miles. Energy in this country varies from 3¢ to 46¢ a kwh. All I know is it's cheaper than gas. I don't know how to calculate the cost of gas per gallon for an EV. There are huge incentives on the gas side without which gas would be $15 a gallon. I can make electricity. You can't make gas. You will have to do your own calculations and strategy. Mine is to avoid stranded assets and live as cheaply and clean as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.