Trying to understand Rey's pricing on his custom lights

nitebrite

Enlightened
He has the Timascus Lan for $700 and the Mokume Dawn for $450. These are custom and not production. What I do not get is indeed Timascus is nice but isn't the Dawn in this instance a nicer light? If you go look while they are still there?

I have a one of a kind Reylight. I am withholding the price. It has replaced my Hanko Timascus as EDC right now.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
regardless of how you define "custom", mokume as a material is much cheaper than timascus. Especially if you use two alloy mokume

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Timascus is notably more expensive than Mokume, especially cheap brass/copper mokume. They are fundamentally different lights running different cells and optics with different applications, which one is "nicer" is the one that suits your needs and aesthetics

nitebrite

Enlightened
I understand. Personally I would rather have the Sapphire lens, way higher lumens.... I did say Timascus is "nicer". TBH, the Hanko even though I am carrying the Rey is nicer still. My Hanko is Timascus twist.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Interestingly the Timascus Lan came out way before the Mokuti Dawn. He only made 5 Timascus Lan and to date there are 4 left. I doubt price would stop many a Flshaholic. He made many more Mokume Dawn sometime later and there is but one left. Strange.

My One off Rey Light is in fact Mokuti. I am not sure what that even is? Apparently to date it is the only flashlight he has only produced out of that material.

I am currently considering purchasing one of the Timascus Lans regardless. This just happened to peek my interest. I suppose I did it to myself. This had long since been forgotten by me. I would be purchasing higher end lights but it is not like you can purchase the vast majority of them new anymore. The resale prices tend to border on the absurd IMO. Even those that can be purchased new have lengthy waiting lists. I really see nothing wrong with Rey's high end stuff. Unless one is going to be a racist against China. This Is not Walmart Chinese goods. It is plenty good. My light from him has an h17. I imagine the Lan does not. As I mentioned it does not even have a Sapphire lens. I will still take one.

nitebrite

Enlightened
100% agree! All of his products are top notch. His high end products in my opinion rival Hanko,Deadwood,Barrel,Photon Fanatac ETC. I have all of those and most other small custom lights. So I feel I can speak fairly. Everyone has the right to disagree. I think Rey's stuff is as good as anything in both categories. I also agree that he is a standup Gentleman. He had called me from China on his Dime! He is a real good guy. Unless someone is just a jerk he would never want them to be unhappy. In my case it had nothing to do with being unhappy. I honestly want to buy the custom Lan just to support him. There are not a lot of makers that will even speak with us to begin with. Luckily you would ordinarily have no contact with him. His products work as intended.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Muyshondt Beagle Opus, which I also happen to own is Mokume Gane. It is $3,000USD. I guess he does not think that Mokume is an "inferior" composition Alloy. I suppose different people feel different about different things. Thus the Internet.

However, no racism intended because it is a fact. Rey's products being made in China the actual raw material of nearly any metals cost very little comparatively. He decided on that price for reasons unknown to us. Also perhaps why he has sold but 1 of them in almost 2 years. Also unknown to us the Mokume Dawn which was not exactly cheap in it's own right sold very well. I am happy that mine is Mokume but perhaps much lighter. Since I take it, it is made from Titanium as well.