Turbohead for E2e, M2, 6P

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by LLLean:
Txwest, when you said you use the LPS special turbohead with your G2, which lamp assembly did you use? N1??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LLL, All you need is the N1 & you can make a T-head light out of any of the 6V SF lights except the E series. I like the G2 because it's so light. The reach is as good, just not as bright. TX

LLLean

Enlightened
I've seen this line used many times in
this forum: "the throw is just as good, but
it's not as bright".

I can't quite understand this because if the
throw is as good, then it has to be as bright.
That is if the throws of two beams are equal,
then the only difference can be in the size of
the beam (i.e. one has a bigger diameter), but
not in the intensity/brightness of the beam.
Yes? No? I'm confused....
blush.gif

So, i would expect the throw of a 6V SureFire
with a SRTH/N1 to be less than that of a
9V SureFire with SRTH/N2, or if they're equal
in throw, then the size of the beam has to be
less.

Help......

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would define it as the size of the centerspot being the same but the level of brightness is different. When you get to the SRTH/N2 or the US, to get the most out of the long throw, you'll need some binoculars. You can't see as far as the light light will "throw". TX

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of people say that the N1 is too underpowered for a Turbohead. So when I got a KT1, I was pleasantly surprised. I like the effect - it makes a mere 65 lu beam much more concentrated.

Turbohead or not, SF reflectors are textured, which automatically cuts down the throw by 30% (over a smooth Mag-type reflector). But they won't design a beam which might be flawed, so SF will always texture reflectors for smoothness of output as a priority over range.

At 300', my 65 lu M2+KT1/N1 easily out-throws a 4C Mag-Lite (~45 lu ?) with a 4x bigger beam diameter, even if the Mag is focused to its best. I haven't been able to test them at longer distances than that.
OK, so that's not a very relevant example.
I guess that the Turbohead doubles the throw, compared to the P60 LA, but of course with a smaller diameter beam. At any distance (I've tested up to 300'), the N1 will show up faintly in the hotspot of an M6 with the 250 lu MN20.

Jahn

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jahn,
I like the N1 also, but if you want to really see something that kicks butt, get an A19 & a N2. TX