Two is one and one is none.....but what are three and four?

Acid87

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
fyrstormer said:
Actually, 3 AND 4 = 0

3 = 00000011
4 = 00000100

Notice none of the 1's line up vertically, therefore the AND operation will cancel them all out.

Inception anyone. I think your dreaming on this one.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The math is simple, surely: 3 and 4 make 2 and 3.

Actually, 3 AND 4 = 0

3 = 00000011
4 = 00000100

Notice none of the 1's line up vertically, therefore the AND operation will cancel them all out.

But based purely on mathematics (and not using binary) there are more than one outcome:

Three

as 1 = 0 and 2 = 1

so if 3 is 3 x 1, then as 1 = 0 then 3 is 3 x 0 = 0
however if 3 is 1 + 2 then this means 3 is 1 + 0 = 1

Four

on the same basis 4 is either 4 x 0 = 0 or 1 + 0 + 0 = 1 or 1 + 1 = 2

perhaps this means there is no answer to this question....

....or perhaps we need to introduce a the factor of MTTF (Mean Time To Failure) along with required reliability / run-time, not forgetting of course the power sources as well, and then a series of statistical analysis before we can come to a conclusion?

This question would probably bemuse The Great Hyperlobic Omnicognate Neutron-Wrangler so we should ask Deep Thought, the second greatest computer of all time, in which case the answer may well turn out to be '42'.

Last edited:

Acid87

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
subwoofer said:
But based purely on mathematics (and not using binary) there are more than one outcome:

Three

as 1 = 0 and 2 = 1

so if 3 is 3 x 1, then as 1 = 0 then 3 is 3 x 0 = 0
however if 3 is 1 + 2 then this means 3 is 1 + 0 = 1

Four

on the same basis 4 is either 4 x 0 = 0 or 1 + 0 + 0 = 1 or 1 + 1 = 2

perhaps this means there is no answer to this question....

....or perhaps we need to introduce a the factor of MTTF (Mean Time To Failure) along with required reliability / run-time, not forgetting of course the power sources as well, and then a series of statistical analysis before we can come to a conclusion?

This question would probably bemuse The Great Hyperlobic Omnicognate Neutron-Wrangler so we should ask Deep Thought, the second greatest computer of all time, in which case the answer may well turn out to be '42'.

I'm sending you my bill for headache pills as you have turned my head to mush. I'll also send you the bill for a shrink because I now feel as intelligent as a slug. Cheers

neal71

Newly Enlightened
Surely Deep Thought would not give such an insignificant question the same answer as the ultimate meaning of life?

Never forget your towel.

Neal

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Maybe Deep Thought would just crash and display the "IBM blue screen of death" if asked these questions - it was designed as a chess computer and so wasn't particuarly intelligent (but very fast at what it WAS designed to do , it could examine half a billion chess positions per move) ;)

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Sub meant the original Deep Thought - not the puny gameplaying copy.

Thanks to this thread I now know what three and four are...my question is, what is 11? (Just what I have on me minus jacket lights)

Pathologically opposed to being left in the dark!

Thanks, Sub. There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

DEEP THOUGHT: "Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff!"

LOL! I love that book! We built a 12-core computer at work, and I of course named it "Deep Thought"!

Anyway, on the subject of extra lights I think I reached a new low today: I went to church services and was carrying these

Quark AA, R4 (neutral)
Quark AA2, S2
Quark AA2, Q3 (neutral)
Quark 123, R5
Fenix PD31 R5

That's FIVE lights in dress clothes!! So wrong :shakehead :devil:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surely Deep Thought would not give such an insignificant question the same answer as the ultimate meaning of life?

Never forget your towel.

Neal

One must consider that the ultimate answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything, must in some way be related to everything and you only have to look to find the connection, so it may well be that Deep Thought would give this answer if it is still running after 17.5 million years.

DEEP THOUGHT: "Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff!"

LOL! I love that book! We built a 12-core computer at work, and I of course named it "Deep Thought"!

I refer not to the books, but to the original radio series that came before....

(The original radio series was repeated through a time warp on BBC Radio 4 in 1978)

• :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget deep thought, this thread turned into a conspiracy by the mice to turn our brains to mush and facilitate their analysis to get the answer directly from the most powerful computer in the universe. Deep thought is just too busy watching TV anyways...

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
.....get the answer directly from the most powerful computer in the universe...

That would be DM51. He's not a real person, he's a supercomputer, based in Greta's backyard shed, and designed to crawl the internet amassing all of mankind's cumulative knowledge into one place. He's watching everyone all the time, following their every move, learning about them and their habits. Like that computer in 'Eagle Eye'. It's the only explanation. $10 says one of his bot appendages finds this post and modifies it in some way to disguise the truth. Yikes, I've said too much already! He's coming! :aaa:

nbp

Flashaholic
DM51 said:
You have been assimilated.

Now I'm on the watch list for sure! My only hope will be to break into the armored shed and destroy the pipes carrying the supercooled fluids that prevent your "brain" from overheating. :poof: (Fortunately I saw this in a movie once and should be able to duplicate it with little difficulty.)

I will be carrying no less than 6 flashlights on this mission, because two is, well, not enough apparently.

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
For me it's generally three, or four if you also count the watch I wear. A RA EDC 200T, Fenix E15 and a Freedom Micro on my keys. I also have a Fenix TK15 in my locker at work + spare batteries on me and in my locker. Though when I'm walking to and from work on a late shift I also clip a couple of Nite-Ize SpotLit's on my front coat zipper and attached to the back.

nbp

Flashaholic
You have been assimilated.

:crackup:

I didn't fully get this as I had been logging in on my iPhone the last couple days so I couldn't see my sig-line until I got on my PC this morning!

Now it's even funnier! :laughing: