Two New Supfires

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I just received two SupFire lights from a Chinese seller, a M6 and an L1.

The M6 is a 3 LED light with a genuine output in the 2000 Lumens range the best I can tell and the L1 is a larger head 5 emitter light with a spotlight style handle but about the same actual lumens output so far as I can judge from direct comparisons. Both incorporate 1/4" x 20 threaded camera style tripod mounting holes for added versatility. The handle on the L1 is a bit small for most western men's hands and located so that the light is very front heavy when carried using the handle. I prefer the M6 which looks quite similar to the SkyRay King but is not a SRK clone. Per people who have disassembled both the SupFire is a much higher quality manufactured light without the variability found in SRK lights. It is certainly heavier and feels more solid. It is also a bit longer overall. At least one American customizer, Mountain Electronics, uses the M6 as the basis for a lot of their custom lights. I have one of theirs on the way too.:D

So far I would rate these as very solid lights, particularly considering the price. After comparing the SupFire M6 and the SRK I definitely prefer the Supfire even though it costs a bit more. In this case I feel that you get what you pay for.

Battery holders and tail caps are interchangeable between the two lights so it is easy to customize appearance and feel in the hand. The L1 tail cap is enough larger in diameter than the battery holder tube so that it provides a considerably more secure grip when installed on the M6 battery tube. Battery layout is 4 in parallel, just like the SRK arrangement.

When run side by side, the M6 and a stock SRK, the M6 feels to have a much better thermal conductivity path from the emitters to the head exterior. This is based on how much faster the head of the M6 warms up.

NobleX13

Newly Enlightened
What kind of duty cycle are you getting with these lights? And do you know if the pill design is any good? I have seen too many hollow/inadequate pills lately and that definitely hurts thermal conductivity.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
NobleX13;
I have been kind of chicken to leave the light on Turbo for too long as the head does get hot and my background in electronics reliability tells me that heat and electronic components are enemies:poof:

Take a look at the Mountain Electronics web site. Google for it. Richard, the owner, is using the M6 as one of his most popular base lights for hop-up modifications. Per some sphere readings taking it all the way to about 4500 Lumens out and incorporating turbo timers and copper Noctigons in his modified lights to keep from cooking things. His site has become one of the most popular ones for modification parts and reasonably priced modified lights per posts over on Budget Light Forums. His BLF name is RMM. Per some of his posts I get the impression that the M6 is one of the better budget lights as far as thermal conductivity is concerned with the LED mounting table integral with the rest of the head, a one piece machining. Also much easier to open up for modifications as the battery contact/circuit board is not glued in, unlike the SkyRay King and clones. Held in by a retaining ring. In addition to modified M6 lights he has about the best price I have seen on unmodified ones. Also a good selection of batteries. BTW I am only a customer with no connection to the business.

Last edited:

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I will add that per a post from a modifier on the BLF group the emitter mounting plate/shelf of the M6 is one piece integral with the rest of the head. A much better design than used on the SRK and clones. So integrally machined in which should guarantee excellent thermal transfer from the plate to the rest of the light head. Seems like the limiting factor should be total head mass and fin area for heat absorption and dissipation, particularly on modified lights fitted with copper Noctigons for the LEDs.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I just got my SupFire L1 back from Mountain Electronics. Fully modified with XM-L2 emitters on copper Noctigons, braided battery springs and heavier wiring along with a new driver board with 7 output levels and no visible PWM along with a turbo timer and battery under voltage protection it is now putting out 7300 Lumens per Richard's sphere readings in Turbo mode. I know it is a amazingly BRIGHT and floody beam. IMO an amazingly bright light for about $120 total investment including the original cost. To me the biggest disadvantage of the modified L1 is the handle and I should be replacing it within the next few days with the new Nitecore NHM10 handle mounting kit. Per listed measurements it should fit without modifications on the SupFire lights as well as SkyRay Kings and most of their clones. The unmodified L1 and M6 both have a lousy UI in my opinion including having strobe in the primary (and only) mode sequence.

Last edited:

magicstone12

Banned
know Supfire,but don't know anything about its performance,how do you think of it?Would love to have a try if it is ok.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Stock I do not care for the User Interface on the M6 and L1 lights but as modified by Richard at Mountain Electronics the M6 is excellent in my experience. He just started offering two additional Supfire single 26650 lights too, the L5 and L6. Available stock or modified. Still not on his flashlights menu so search for Supfire on his web site. All Supfire lights seem to be designed with good thermal management and adequate heat sinking paths from the LEDs per Richard who has seen the guts of all of those that he offers.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
……...He just started offering two additional Supfire single 26650 lights too, the L5 and L6. Available stock or modified. ……………..

The Supfire L5 has been on my radar for the last week. For around $22 it offers a solid build and good overall quality, from what I read. Nothing fancy is included, such as 8 different modes, or memory, or reverse polarity protection. Just a simple, 26650 powered, fairly compact thrower. It will soon be available again at Mountain Electronics, but from what Richard posted at BLF, no modded ones will be available until he catches up with his backlog of custom work. I plan to get one of the stock ones.

Last edited:

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I got one of the customized ones from Richard at Mountain Electronics. A very nice light for the price. I get the impression that he is not sleeping much as he is married with a son, in law school, running his business and working part time in a law office. With a schedule like that he is a busy beaver.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of the customized ones from Richard at Mountain Electronics. A very nice light for the price. I get the impression that he is not sleeping much as he is married with a son, in law school, running his business and working part time in a law office. With a schedule like that he is a busy beaver.

I was very tempted to get one of his M6's.

Supposedly the M6 is extremely well built, with quality on par with many premium lights. It's much better built than the Skyray King. The modded M6's that Richard was selling looked fantastic. incredible output with all the features one would want on a light like that (direct copper stars, solder braided springs, 5000 lumen output, etc.).

I ended up not getting it due to cost and that I mostly use pocketable EDC lights. However, if I ever did get a light in this size range, the M6 with Richard's mods would probably be my choice.

Last edited:

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
One of my M6 lights is back in his hands for use as a test light. He is developing a thermistor controlled Turbo cutback circuit rather than a using a software controlled Turbo timer. To me a much more sophisticated approach that takes account of external cooling conditions such as ambient temperature and air circulation around the light.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a Supfire L5 today from Mountain Electronics. Only $18 with the coupon code. This is my first budget light, and it will be interesting to see what $18 gets me in a 26650 powered thrower.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my Supfire L5, and it makes a very good first impression after removing it from the package. It's a handsome flashlight, with very good anodizing and metalwork. It looks more like a $50 flashlight than a $18 flashlight. It feels great in the hand. On mine the LED is perfectly centered and the reflector is flawless. The 40mm filters and diffusers from Nitecore and Fenix will fit on the head of this flashlight. I ran it on high mode for 10 minutes (ambient temp= 63*F) and the head became moderately warm, but not hot. But $18 can't get you everything in a flashlight, and that is reflected in the very simple electronics package this flashlight has. It lacks some desirable features, such as mode memory, over discharge protection, reverse polarity protection, tail cap lock-out, and low battery warning. Because it seems to lack some electronic safety features, I only plan to use protected batteries in it. (I checked the specs for this flashlight at the Supfire website, and there was no mention of features like over discharge protection, low battery warning, etc). I hope Supfire upgrades this flashlight with better electronics and a better UI. I would be willing to pay $25 more for the electronic features that are now missing.

Last edited:

NoizeSuppressor

Newly Enlightened
Anyone who can compare them to Ultrafire? Supfire C8 (900 Lumen supposedly, 18.99 USD delivered) uses XML-T6, Ultrafire C8 uses a Cree Q5 Led (1000 Lumen supposedly, 6.47 USD delivered). I've had the rubber protection cap already crack/rip on several after only using it like two weeks.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
………..It lacks some desirable features, such as mode memory, over discharge protection, reverse polarity protection, tail cap lock-out, and low battery warning. ……………...

I did find out that the L5 does have a low battery warning. When my battery got down to around 3.0V the LED started to flash. I did not test for over discharge protection, but I am going to assume it does have that feature. I sent an email to Supfire a few days ago, asking about reverse polarity protection in the L5, and have not received a response.